No announcement yet.

Any Other Forged Piston Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't read every post here so this has probably been said, bore the block to at least 85.5mm run at least .004" piston to wall gap with a set of pistons and rods made for the motor, trying to save a few bucks using a dsm piston isn't really worth the hassle. use arp headstuds. cheap bearings are ok if the clearance comes out fine.
    spin city

Comment

Originally posted by dbsharp View Post
      I didn't read every post here so this has probably been said, bore the block to at least 85.5mm run at least .004" piston to wall gap with a set of pistons and rods made for the motor, trying to save a few bucks using a dsm piston isn't really worth the hassle. use arp headstuds. cheap bearings are ok if the clearance comes out fine.
      Sounds like boring out is the only way to go! Your signature says you ran a boosted motor for 100k miles, that's awesome! What was your setup?

What would be the difference of boring out .5mm vs boring out a full 1mm?

Piston to wall gap, I'll do some research on that.
      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Difference between .5mm and 1mm over boar is .5mm more displacement per cylinder.

Have your block cylinder bores measured by a shop. If they are within specs you can probably go with a hone, new rings and stock piston diameter. If they are out of round then you will require a larger piston and bore to match those pistons.

Or you can just go with larger diameter for bigger displacement. :beer:

The benefits to overbore, are adding displacement and compression. Along with a fresh new cylinder wall finish for oil control.

you buy pistons and have the block bored to match the piston diameter + piston to wall clearance suggested by the piston manufacturer.
        Last edited by GhostAccord; 04-21-2017, 11:42 PM.
        MR Thread
        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
          Difference between .5mm and 1mm over boar is .5mm more displacement per cylinder.

Have your block cylinder bores measured by a shop. If they are within specs you can probably go with a hone, new rings and stock piston diameter. If they are out of round then you will require a larger piston and bore to match those pistons.

Or you can just go with larger diameter for bigger displacement. :beer:

The benefits to overbore, are adding displacement and compression. Along with a fresh new cylinder wall finish for oil control.

you buy pistons and have the block bored to match the piston diameter + piston to wall clearance suggested by the piston manufacturer.
          Thank you! That's super helpful.
          I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Hey, so I've been thinking through all this, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to do what's recommended and bore out a block properly.

Is a F22B block compatible with a F22a head? Reason I ask, I have a friend in the KCMO area (BreckAConner) that has a spare F22B block sitting around that I could build for boost.
            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

The block is identical in nearly every way.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                The block is identical in nearly every way.
                How was the F22B superior to the F22A, the head design?
                I'm faster then a prius

Comment

It was a DOHC as opposed to a SOHC, also it has slightly higher compression. This resulted in the 160 hp and 148 ft/tq. A nice bump over the 125-140 hp F22Ax's. Now if your talking about a F22B1 or F22B2 bottom end then they are pretty much identical. A F22Ax head is going to be your best bet. Unless you want the VTEC on the intake only from the F22B1 head.
                  Last edited by Rilas; 04-27-2017, 02:24 PM.
                  MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Working...
                  X