Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Bumpstop cutting for neuspeed race and koni yellows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumpstop cutting for neuspeed race and koni yellows.

Before I assemble everything I'm not sure if I need to cut the bumpstops or not. From loads of searching I still haven't came up with a conclusion as some people say cut them and some say not to. Anyone with any experience with this setup to shed some light? I'm not looking for any other spring/shock combo answers just specifically neuspeed race springs and koni yellows on any perch settings that were used.

I cut my bumpstops in half when I installed this combo as well as lowered the perch down one ring. The ride was very comfy and felt good in the corners. This however is going on my memory of driving it years ago. I will have my car running next month hopefully and I can give you an update.
    Last edited by Grumpys93; 04-25-2017, 07:17 AM.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

If you have the Koni instructions, I believe they recommend cutting them.

the Fronts, I cut in half, and the rears, I cut one third off. Haven't had any issues at all.

Or you can just order short Ground Control bumpstops.

Comment

You need to make sure your bump stops retain proper block height or you'll blow a rod nut through your base valve...
        '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

My instructions neither say to cut or not cut. Theirs only a picture showing I'd assume if you use your factory bumpstop and if they split get new ones. That's what I'm afraid of is blowing a shock so what do you mean by block height?

Comment

Block height is the length of a fully compressed jounce bumper. I know eibach lists multiple bounce bumpers with multiple block heights. I'm sure other suppliers do to.

Comment

Hmm alright. Never dealt with springs, shocks, coilovers, at all so this is my first time. I may just leave them full length and adjust accordingly....

Comment

I just recently assembled this same setup, and struggled with the same question. Based on my digging, it appeared most people recommended cutting them - the people who didn't, complained about bottoming out.

See the first picture below, of the parts spread out. Along the center you can see the brownish colored KONI bumpstops - these are the ones they provide from the manufacturer. Considering how short they are, this confirmed to me that the shocks would be OK with a shorter bumpstop (at least compared to the super-long OEM ones). I ended up returning the Koni bumpstops because they were too expensive for what they were.

Since my original bumpstops weren't worth saving, I ended up buying OEM 5th gen / CD5 bumpstops, and cutting them by 1/3rd. You can see this in my second picture. The ride ended up being very nice and I did not notice any bottoming out, though I didnt not get to ride on them for very long.

The last question I had to figure out, was - which end of the bumpstop to remove??? The fat end, or the skinny end? I figured since the "progressive" nature of the bumpstop comes from the skinny end, that I should leave that in place, in order to avoid a hard impact. Also, by removing some of the fatter end, this removes the part of the bumpstop that has a tight/small diameter hole. The OEM shock has a 10mm rod and the KONI shocks have a 12mm rod, so the original bumpstops are a tight fit - removing the fat end helped remove the constricting part, so now the center hole is a little wider and it fits over the shock better.

I ended up going with the LOWEST perch for the front, and the MIDDLE perch for the rear. My third picture below is a little bit misleading because it shows the rear perches set to their lowest position. I found the rear of the car to be squatting too low like that. Fortunately it was easy to raise the perches without removing the assembly from the car. You can see the final ride height in my fourth picture below.

Just FYI, for the dust covers, the CD5 ones are the same overall size/shape, but are completely plastic and won't corrode. The CB7 ones are metal and are usually beat up and rusty.

Last edited by cp[mike]; 04-25-2017, 02:24 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                Current cars:
                - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Man, I wish you still had that car.

For what it's worth, I've cut my bump stops as well. Roughly the same length that Mike cut his.
                  My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

So there's a difference between bottoming out and hitting the jounce bumpers.

Jounce bumpers are used to improve handling, but early engagement of a stiff bumper can cause non linearities in ride. Regardless of your jounce bumper engagement and rate curve, you need to have the correct block height.

Comment

Perfect response mike. I seen your thread about this situation. Great to know about the dust covers beigng metal vs plastic since I'm going with all new top hats, rubber mounts, insulators and all. Rather have plastic over the metal. Thanks!!

Comment

In the final assembly I notice the poly front coil insulator and the shock mount/tophat bushings (red). I figured out the insulator from energysuspension but I can't for the life of me comfirm if http://energysuspension.com/parts-search.html are what I'm wanting or if those go to the radius rod. I couldn't source any poly for the rears and from judging from your pictures you went OEM rear insulators, seats and bushings? Apologize for the continous questions. Lol
                        Part# 16.7103G
                        Last edited by 93_Accorn; 04-25-2017, 08:40 PM.

Comment

I got the fronts on and thanks for everyones input. Unfortunately I'm haveing the rear shock mount bushing problem. Ahhh. I also put the front shocks on the lowest perch. HOLY SHIZ. This seems way too dumped and I bottom out at places. Plus my uca balljoints look like they are stressing like crazy which is scary when you can actually see the ball and no grease. Spc is definitely happening sooner than later. Maybe the front will raise some once I get the rears on? For now I raised the perch up which is much better.

Comment

We're these for sale on eBay recently?

Comment

Originally posted by 93_Accorn View Post
                              Before I assemble everything I'm not sure if I need to cut the bumpstops or not. From loads of searching I still haven't came up with a conclusion as some people say cut them and some say not to. Anyone with any experience with this setup to shed some light? I'm not looking for any other spring/shock combo answers just specifically neuspeed race springs and koni yellows on any perch settings that were used.
                              Basically what Mike said.

I try to cut them as little as possible, but if you are dropping the car a little over 2", then you effectively are reducing the travel by the same amount if you don't cut the bumpstops. Great in theory, but with the progressive nature of the Neuspeed Sport and Race, you end up bouncing off the bumpstops all day and it really makes it ride shitty.

Just like Mike said, start at the top and you should only need to cut the largest section off. That should cure any ride issues with either the Sports or Races. My friend had a CB7 on Races and Konis and with that little bumpstop modification, it rode like a dream (even though the thing would spark its exhaust on big bumps).

The advantage to most aftermarket struts designed for lowering is that they will allow for this before they bottom out and wreck the strut.

I cut the bumpstops the same amount on my CB7 with Neuspeed Sports and have put around 100K miles on the suspension with literally zero issues.
                              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Working...
                              X