Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

electrical issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electrical issues

so 2 weekends ago my car wouldn't start. the symptoms were, when i turned the key the lights in the dash would come on and shut off. this would not happen if the car sat over night or all day while at school, it would start right up but, if i went somewhere and was gone for 10 mins i couldn't get it started.so i came on here and found out that it could be a dirty ground, so i cleaned the ground and the car started right up. last weekend it did the same thing, started right up after leaving school, went out to eat dinner, came back and i couldn't get it started. what i ended up doing was waiting until the next day after the car sat overnight and it started right up. now yesterday morning the car started right up and i went to work, the car sat for about 5 hours and when i left it started right up, then i went to home depot and was gone for about 10-15 mins came back out and the car wouldn't start. my cousin said,"hell you got a stick shift, why don't you just push start it?" so that's what we did. i got home and the car sat for the rest of the day and over night. this morning i had the same problem as when it was at home depot and i needed to get to school so i ended up push starting it. the car sat at school for 9 hours and when it was time to leave it wouldn't start, so i got it push started again and came home.

i have gone to autozone and had them test my battery, alternator, and my starter and they said that it was all good. i have good battery terminals and i clean ground. there's a little erosion on the cable to the battery but, it doesn't look like enough to cause problems. i did notice driving home last night, if i pressed the brake the headlights would dim down until i let off the brake, and if i turned on my brights the radio would shut off for a second, same with windows and windshield wipers.

i don't know if it could be a short or what. your guess is as good as mine.

sorry for a long story like this. my car is a daily driver so i want to get this problem fixed as soon as possible.
    Last edited by crazyychriss123; 10-10-2011, 07:50 PM.

sorry should be retitled, "car wont start due to electrical issues".

Comment

Did you check every single ground on the car? You should double check just to make sure you didn't miss one. If all is well you could have a short somewhere. Electrical problems do becoming annoying when you can't figure out whats wrong.

First car.

Comment

OK well like I said, be sure to check them fuses too.

Comment

the battery fuse looks good, there's a starter fuse on the inside that i didn't look at, but i'm not sure what that fuse really does.

Comment

it might be your starter even though you got it tested at auto zone it doesn't mean its good i was having a problem with my starter to not to long ago i knew it was the starter because when it didn't want to start i use to hit the solenoid and it would start right up just to make sure i took it to two different auto zone stores and both of them told me that it was good but it wasn't when they test it it test good because they don't load it up if i was you i would have the starter re tested
            good luck

Comment

Originally posted by crazyychriss123 View Post
              so 2 weekends ago my car wouldn't start. the symptoms were, when i turned the key the lights in the dash would come on and shut off. this would not happen if the car sat over night or all day while at school, it would start right up but, if i went somewhere and was gone for 10 mins i couldn't get it started.so i came on here and found out that it could be a dirty ground, so i cleaned the ground and the car started right up. last weekend it did the same thing, started right up after leaving school, went out to eat dinner, came back and i couldn't get it started. what i ended up doing was waiting until the next day after the car sat overnight and it started right up. now yesterday morning the car started right up and i went to work, the car sat for about 5 hours and when i left it started right up, then i went to home depot and was gone for about 10-15 mins came back out and the car wouldn't start. my cousin said,"hell you got a stick shift, why don't you just push start it?" so that's what we did. i got home and the car sat for the rest of the day and over night. this morning i had the same problem as when it was at home depot and i needed to get to school so i ended up push starting it. the car sat at school for 9 hours and when it was time to leave it wouldn't start, so i got it push started again and came home.

i have gone to autozone and had them test my battery, alternator, and my starter and they said that it was all good. i have good battery terminals and i clean ground. there's a little erosion on the cable to the battery but, it doesn't look like enough to cause problems. i did notice driving home last night, if i pressed the brake the headlights would dim down until i let off the brake, and if i turned on my brights the radio would shut off for a second, same with windows and windshield wipers.

i don't know if it could be a short or what. your guess is as good as mine.

sorry for a long story like this. my car is a daily driver so i want to get this problem fixed as soon as possible.
              So you said the cable has battery corrosion inside the actual cable? That would be your problem. Replace the cable. Is it the ground?

BB6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=200445<Summer Lover
              BD6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194262<Dailey/Future AutoX
              Mazda 6s->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201313<Wifes
              CB7->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189108<Sold

Comment

Working...
              X