CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 02-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #21
hiptech
CB7tuner Member

hiptech seems to have made some friends! hiptech seems to have made some friends!
I haven't checked in a while but are Honda OEM springs still out there?

My Collection:
93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)
hiptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #22
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiptech View Post
I haven't checked in a while but are Honda OEM springs still out there?
I don't believe so. But I think a number of quality manufacturers make OEM spec replacements (that are likely to be as good as, possibly even superior to, the originals.)

AEM TruTime cam gears (H22A), DSM 450cc injectors, Eaton M45 superchrager

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:48 AM   #23
zedjr10
Gold Member

zedjr10 is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
The KYB Strut Plus is probably a good option, if you're set on not replacing the springs. I was unaware that they made such a thing. The only spring/shock combinations that I've ever seen have been Gabriel, Monroe, and other total garbage.
It seems most(Monroe's for sure) are made in china now. KYB's s strut-plus i found alot of good ratings for the fronts(sr4044 & sr4043). The backs are mixed reviews mostly complaining about wrong orientation. I got 2 of the front's for 206 dollars total including shipping.
zedjr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:51 PM   #24
zedjr10
Gold Member

Hey thanks for everyones input. Helped me greatly in deciding. I think these kyb's are going to work out great and I'll let yall know. That's a sweet ass ride Hiptech. I love the stock look u got. Nothing classier than that imo.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #25
wagon-r
CB7tuner Member

wagon-r seems to have made some friends! wagon-r seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol blue View Post
I would never use one of those spring compressors again after I had them slid off and about pinch my finger between it and the top hat. Easier to drop the struts and pay $10 a strut and have a shop swap springs. Takes them about 2 minutes a strut and your not in any danger. Just my opinion.
Amen. If a spring compressor comes loose, it can kill you. No joke.

This is exactly what I did with when I installed my Koni Yellows. My local shop also charged me $10 per strut and they did it quick. Just need to arrange in advance if you want them to swap the struts while you wait.
wagon-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:38 AM   #26
Losiracer2
CB7tuner Member

Losiracer2 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Losiracer2
You'll still save a ton of money by simply removing the shocks assemblies from the car yourself and taking it to a shop to have them swap shocks and compressing the springs.

I did this on my parent's 03 Sienna since the strut looked a lot more scary than our shocks (a lot bigger spring with more energy). It cost me 20 a side for them to install the strut and new strut mount. I dropped it off and an hour or so later they were done and ready for pickup.

I think the best solution would be to purchase new KYB GR2 shocks, and buy new strut mount bushings from Honda. They're about 2 bucks a piece, you'll need 8 of them to cover all 4 shocks (2 per shock) that's really all you need. Replacing those bushings will solve any creaking issues you have going over little bumps in the road.

member's ride thread
93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
97' Lexus LS400 282k miles.....Luxury Cruiser DD
Losiracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:21 PM   #27
7beast
CB7tuner Member

7beast is cool... so far.
Function and Form full coilovers her and they feel great
7beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:22 PM   #28
zedjr10
Gold Member

Ordered the front kyb strut plus and am going to replace the upper control arm at same time. I am assuming i follow instructions for taking out strut first and replacing then install the UAC. IS this right. Is there anything else i should replace while there?
Old 03-02-2017, 12:40 AM   #29
Corweena
CB7tuner Member

Corweena is cool... so far.
Pull out old struts, remove and replace UCA, then replace new strut.

As far as anything else, it would be worth it to replace your lower ball joints on the knuckles as those are prone to fail more than anything else.
Corweena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:44 AM   #30
sheltonm
Newcomer

sheltonm is cool... so far.
My car has KYB's also. Ride quality is good. Soft but not too bouncy.
sheltonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #31
zedjr10
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corweena View Post
Pull out old struts, remove and replace UCA, then replace new strut.

As far as anything else, it would be worth it to replace your lower ball joints on the knuckles as those are prone to fail more than anything else.
Ok going to order some lower ball joints too.
So steps go as these 1. remove strut 2. remove uca 3. install uca 4. install strut.
Where do the removal and installation of lower ball joints fall into this. Am assuming i need 1 for each front side. moog part # k9643 is the right part?

Last edited by zedjr10; 03-02-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:36 AM   #32
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedjr10 View Post
Ok going to order some lower ball joints too.
So steps go as these 1. remove strut 2. remove uca 3. install uca 4. install strut.
Where do the removal and installation of lower ball joints fall into this. Am assuming i need 1 for each front side. moog part # k9643 is the right part?
Depending on when was the last time you did a brake job on your car I would consider that too since the spindle is gonna be off to change the lower ball joint. On my wife's accord I replaced truts, ball joints, bearings, CV joints(as folks call them) upgraded to wagon calipers and of course new rotors and pads had to go in there. This will also be the time to inspect the end links and radius rod bushings too.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:58 AM   #33
zedjr10
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
Depending on when was the last time you did a brake job on your car I would consider that too since the spindle is gonna be off to change the lower ball joint. On my wife's accord I replaced truts, ball joints, bearings, CV joints(as folks call them) upgraded to wagon calipers and of course new rotors and pads had to go in there. This will also be the time to inspect the end links and radius rod bushings too.
Your scaring me now.Haha,, that's too much for this old man at one time. CV joint on one side is pretty new and wheel hub on other side was just replaced(even though it didn't need it). That's a good ideal on brake pads and rotors. Since that is relatively easy.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #34
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedjr10 View Post
Your scaring me now.Haha,, that's too much for this old man at one time. CV joint on one side is pretty new and wheel hub on other side was just replaced(even though it didn't need it). That's a good ideal on brake pads and rotors. Since that is relatively easy.
Believe it or not its not that much work then what you are already going to do, i believe to replace the balljoint you are already goint to have to slide the hub bearing off the spindle, so a brake rotor swap its half way there and caliper upgrade is just removing one xtra bolt which is the banjo bolt. I learned my lesson once when i did brakes and didnt change the bearings while everything was out, a couple months later i had to go back and do the work again. For the next brake service i plan to do a ROH conversion to make it easier for future brake service. Good luck to you though, just keep calm and you will get it done
Old 03-02-2017, 01:16 PM   #35
jaykilla116
CB7tuner Member

jaykilla116 is cool... so far.
hey

i have a used set of d2 coil overs if your interested full set. im thinking $350
Old 03-02-2017, 07:52 PM   #36
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Please do not offer items for sale in this section. Normally, it would get you banned.
Plus, D2 is total garbage brand new.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #37
SergioCb7661
Newcomer

SergioCb7661 is cool... so far.
Are Blackworks Racing springs good?
SergioCb7661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:27 AM   #38
zedjr10
Gold Member

I installed the kyb strut-plus and they installed very easily and ride is better. kyb strut-plus seems like a good option for anyone not wanting to mess with the coil.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #39
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Now that I'm aware that they exist, I'll likely recommend them to others. Most of the complete assemblies, as mentioned, are from low quality brands. KYB was a wise choice, as they're a very high quality company. Glad it worked out well for you!

Old 03-20-2017, 12:04 PM   #40
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioCb7661 View Post
Are Blackworks Racing springs good?
Absolutely not. They are another low-quality knockoff company. Do not trust your life to anything of questionable origin. Stick to components made by companies that specialize in the design and manufacturing of suspension components. Your life rides on your suspension.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: