Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

DBSharp's Turbo Fabrication thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DBSharp's Turbo Fabrication thread.

This is a pretty low budget build I put together. I have spent right under $800 to convert my car from NA to boosted.

Parts I got for free from Errol (yardiexd40): This stuff was part of his old setup. His new setup is going to be bad ass.
    Holset HY35W type-D turbo
    JDM FMIC
    Tail Knock off wastegate
    Waste gate dump tube parts
    Front torque mount for a suburu.

Parts that I am designing/fabricating for this build:
    Ram horn turbo manifold
    Downpipe
    BOV mount tube
    Front motormount brackets
    Turbo braces
    Wastegate dump tube

Parts I bought, not including all the minor BS:
    Turbosmart BOV. Got this for $40!
    2.5" intercooler Charge pipes and couplers
    Down pipe parts
    Weirtech flanges for the manifold
    K&N filter

I expect this to make 250 to 300 WHP once it is done. I have dsm 450cc injectors and a somewhat small intercooler. If I want to get more power out of this setup later, I could upgrade these parts and crank up the boost! Of course I wont do this unless I get the $$ to build a motor too.
    Last edited by dbsharp; 12-21-2009, 11:36 PM.
    spin city

niioooceeeee

what's the red machine in the first pic? can't be a mandrel bender, since your doing pie cuts

and did you already make that ram horn mani? i might be interested in one of them suckas, if u decide to sell some

BB2F22-T3super60:250hp/275lb-ft @10psi

Comment

Nice work Dan!!!

I wish i could do some of that work you do!! The mani looks awesome. Can't wait to see the final project pics! Makes me want to go turbo again, damn it!!!! LOL
      97 Yamaha YZF600R

Vouches: wagalude/sleepycb7/accordexr33/yeamans17/heylookitsdylan/tommi/JDMH22ACB7/smokeeey420/sackingz123/
      IDriveALude/Losiracer2/626cb7

Comment

thanks for the compliments.

The manifold will turn out nice once its done, right now it still has a couple pin hole leaks in it. I am going to give it to a buddy of mine who is going to go back over the manifold with a tig welder. I have A LOT of hours into the manifold so far, I'm not sure It would be worth my time to make them to sell them.
        spin city

Comment

dude. your car pulled on the h22 and boosted ford.
          now your gunna boost!

I fuckin love you man!
          great work. nice to see your doin it yourself.

ETA?
          MadLab Racing
          Southern Maryland

Comment

i'd try to eliminate most of those couplers on the charge pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by weirtech View Post
              i'd try to eliminate most of those couplers on the charge pipe.
              I don't own a tig welder. If i did I would only have a couple of them and would have welded up the rest. All of the pipe is flared at the end, so I don't foresee any issues with the couplings.

Oh. By the way, do you recognize the flanges on the manifold? they are all weirtech flanges. I was going to call in a favor and get some cnc lazer cut by a friend. I even had the flanges drawn up and dimensioned in autocad. One reason I didn't was because of all of the dimensions that are necessary for the head flange. I would rather just pay you for them than to use up the favor. Who knows what part I may need cut out in the future.

ETA? I have to find a circlip and seal for the compressor housing on my hy-35 before it will be together. I am waiting on a reply from gpopshop. Maybe I can get them there.
              Last edited by dbsharp; 12-06-2009, 10:38 PM.
              spin city

Comment

Originally posted by twokexlv6coupe View Post
                what's the red machine in the first pic? can't be a mandrel bender, since your doing pie cuts
                It's a horizontal band saw. Perfect for cutting long lengths of pipe.

Comment

did you make good clearance with the crossmember with that manifold?

Comment

I designed the manifold to fit the turbo I have into the space I have available. It clears the crossmember. I did design it to be used with the traction bar I plan on making. There isn't as much room for the downpipe as I would like, but with a traction bar there will be more room.

I am using the stock radiator and one of the fans. The other fan is going to be a pusher that sits between the intercooler and radiator.

I only have two pieces left to make. The turbo brace and the waste gate dump tube.

I get my last part early next week, so this should be together sometime next week! I want to get the wideband working good before I go beating on it much.
                    spin city

Comment

manifold looks sick bro, i wish i got a welder.

Comment

I don't own one. I borrowed a friends. Now I just need to make some friends with tig welders.
                        spin city

Comment

Every part is fabbed up. I am just waiting on my last part to come in so I can bolt it all together!

spin city

Comment

Great work!
                            2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
                            2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

I updated the first post with new pics.
                              spin city

Comment

Working...
                              X