Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Timing belt too tight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing belt too tight.

I bought my CB a month ago and was told when I bought it that the timing belt was a little too tight. It drives and runs great, but it does sound like it is too tight. Example (not my car but mine does make the same noise):
    Example of what it sounds like.
    I called a few shops locally and got a quote from one saying that it would take 3 hrs at $100/hr to do the repair and another saying that I should take it to the guy who I bought it from and see if he can fix it. The guy I bought it from is a tech, but not sure if I want to take it to him because why didn't he fix it before he sold it? After reading the manual and looking at a few videos online about how to do it, I'm sure that I can do the job myself but I don't have the tools.

My question to you fine folks is this, do you think that it is worth doing it myself and purchasing the tools for the job that would cost as much as getting it done at a shop, or do you think that I should take it in and get it done? If you've done this before how difficult is it and what are your tips/tricks if you have any?

You could just set the engine to TDC, loosen the tensioner pulley, then retension the belt. You need very basic tools to do it.
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
      You could just set the engine to TDC...
      Sorry probably a n00b question but what is TDC?

*** EDIT

NEvermind Top Dead Center -> TDC

Comment

I was told that you shouldn't be able to do this. Is this something that newer cars don't do? both shops I called were in fairly affluent areas, and they both said that they haven't touched something this old in a while . Since you have to take off the valve cover to lift off the cam gear cover to get to the pulley, do you need to replace the valve cover gasket? or is there a valve cover gasket?

Comment

Yes you need to crack the valve cover barely open to get the cover off. If you do this I would recommend buying a new valve cover gasket and the grommets for the top of the valve cover at the least. But I don't think that you should have to take the top cover off. The lower cover should be all you need to remove. But to do so requires removal of the stupid crack pulley bolt, and it can be a real bitch and a half to remove sometimes. Otherwise all you need is some basic hand tools.
          MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
            The lower cover should be all you need to remove. But to do so requires removal of the stupid crack pulley bolt, and it can be a real bitch and a half to remove sometimes. Otherwise all you need is some basic hand tools.
            I'm really hoping that because it was recently replaced that it isn't going to be so bad, but I'm probably going to buy a can of WD-40 to let it soak in and get it nice and ready to pull and borrow a friend's propane torch in case I need to heat it up to pull it.

Supposedly getting the crank shaft pulley bolt off is the hardest part, everything else is cake.

Comment

You don't have to remove the crank pulley, and you don't necessarily need to remove the valve cover. You can remove the 2 bolts holding the top timing cover on, then use something to pop the lip of the cover out from underneath the valve cover.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                You don't have to remove the crank pulley, and you don't necessarily need to remove the valve cover. You can remove the 2 bolts holding the top timing cover on, then use something to pop the lip of the cover out from underneath the valve cover.
                SO just removing those bolts will give me access to adjust the tensioner?

Comment

You don't have to remove anything to get access to the tensioner nut, it sticks out of the lower timing cover. You need to remove the top timing cover so you can watch the cam rotate 3 teeth when you go to retension the belt.

Comment

Working...
                  X