CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 01-09-2017, 10:29 PM   #1
Dabsfordaze
Newcomer

Dabsfordaze is cool... so far.
91 accord daytime running lights stay on with key out

So someone stole my radio out of my cb7 a few weeks ago, i went to start the car to go smog it but when i went to crank the car there was a loud buzzing sound coming from behind the glove box, the buzzing slowly went down and when i went to crank the car again it was completely dead. I jump started the car and parked it and noticed the dash lights and rear drls stay on. I disconnected the dimmer relay thinking it was that but the lights still stayed on. Any ideas where to start? I have a DMM, just dont know where to even start.
Dabsfordaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
Ummm, when your radio was stolen, did they leave a bunch of messy wires that were cut?
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
Dabsfordaze
Newcomer

Yes, so i believe the hot wire going to the radio shorted out another wire somewhere in the harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf99 View Post
Ummm, when your radio was stolen, did they leave a bunch of messy wires that were cut?
Old 01-11-2017, 12:52 AM   #4
h22sparkle
CB7tuner Member

h22sparkle may have said something they shouldn't have...
Prolly a power ignition wire prolly the same one that's ran off the headlight and headlightswitch and cigarette lighter switch. Just electrically tape it up and make sure all the wires are covered. Damn dude cover her up tight.
h22sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
Dabsfordaze
Newcomer

Any tips on which wires to check or if you have a schematic i could follow? I just want to get these drls fixed so i can move onto doing the rack and pinion and power steering pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22sparkle View Post
Prolly a power ignition wire prolly the same one that's ran off the headlight and headlightswitch and cigarette lighter switch. Just electrically tape it up and make sure all the wires are covered. Damn dude cover her up tight.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
Dabsfordaze
Newcomer

Anyone know how to test the headlight/combination switch, i feel like maybe this is where the issue is coming from, just have no idea how to check it with my multimeter. Im really hoping to get this issue resolved soon and not have to jerry rig the dash and brake lights.
Any advice or insight would greatly be appreciated
Old 01-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
Raf99
Gold Member

First piece of advice - go buy a manual. If you are going to deal with this wire mess and later a rack and pinion you will need a manual. You will pull your hair out with out one wondering if that wire beside the blue wire is white and pink or white and purple.

Next, check all the fuses that are related to your problem. In fact, i would pull the radio fuse right now. It sounds like wires are still touching somewhere so sort that out first.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #8
Dabsfordaze
Newcomer

Already capped all the wires, rack and pinion wont be an issue, ive done it before on a different cb7. Ill pull the radio fuse when i get access to the car later tonight. But does no one have any idea where to start? I have a multimeter and can check all the wires just not sure which wires go where. I figure if the dash lights and rear drls are staying on then something with the headlight/combination switch has to be the issue here or am i wayy off on that assumptions? Honestly at this point im just gonna try to get my post counts up so i can post in a more technical forum. Because i dont want to be dealing with connecting and reconnecting the battery everytime i drive

And i already checked all the fuses under the hood with a multimeter and all fuses checked out ok. The issues is a short somewhere between the radio and headlight/combo switch i believe

Quote:
First piece of advice - go buy a manual. If you are going to deal with this wire mess and later a rack and pinion you will need a manual. You will pull your hair out with out one wondering if that wire beside the blue wire is white and pink or white and purple.

Next, check all the fuses that are related to your problem. In fact, i would pull the radio fuse right now. It sounds like wires are still touching somewhere so sort that out first.

Last edited by Dabsfordaze; 01-11-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #9
Raf99
Gold Member

Sooo give me more info.

- Do your headlights stay on? / does the car have Canadian DRLs?
- Does your fuel gauge stay on?
- What lights specifically are on....? (instrument cluster all, center dash console lights all (radio, heater, etc.) and dome light? )
Old 01-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #10
Dabsfordaze
Newcomer

The backlight for the dash stays on( so the speedo, tach, temperature and fuel gauge are Illuminated), hvac controls Illuminate. And tail lights stay on. Not the brake lights. If i leave the door open it chimes as if the key were in the ignition. Headlights work when i twist the headlight switch. Turn signals work. But when i go to turn off the all lights the dash, hvac controls and rear drls stay on. I dont believe i have canadian DRLs, but ill check when i get home. Dome light i has set to always off so im not sure if that stays on or not.

Quote:
Sooo give me more info.

- What lights specifically are on....? (instrument cluster all, center dash console lights all (radio, heater, etc.) and dome light? )
Old 01-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #11
Dabsfordaze
Newcomer

Noob question but how would i know if i have canadian DRLs? Im in California so highly doubt that i have them but you never know, a previous owner could have installed them.

Quote:
Sooo give me more info.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #12
Raf99
Gold Member

Umm you probably do not then. DRLs = high beams work at 25% when driving down the road with your lights off. If not, explain what you are referring to for rear DRLs.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #13
Dabsfordaze
Newcomer

Sidemarkers illuminate, brake lights illuminate, licence plate lights come on. Like if you turned your headlight switch over 1 click before turning on your headlights. Brake lights work normally as do reverse lights. And headlights turn on when you turn the switch to the last position

Quote:
Umm you probably do not then. DRLs = high beams work at 25% when driving down the road with your lights off. If not, explain what you are referring to for rear DRLs.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:41 PM   #14
Raf99
Gold Member

With the switch in the off positios and keys out of the car (doors closed), pull fuse #23 in the underhood fuse box. Do the lights go out?
Old 01-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #15
Dabsfordaze
Newcomer

I will test this out when i get home in about an hour

Quote:
With the switch in the off positios and keys out of the car (doors closed), pull fuse #23 in the underhood fuse box. Do the lights go out?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #16
Dabsfordaze
Newcomer

Got home late yesterday and didnt have time to check. Today ill be giving fuse #23 a pull and. See what happens. If anyone has any other ideas feel free to chime in. Or if you know which wire i can throw a switch on and atleast be able to turn off the lights when i park instead of having to disconnect the battery after every stop i do for work which is one every 10-20 minutes.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #17
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabsfordaze View Post
Got home late yesterday and didnt have time to check. Today ill be giving fuse #23 a pull and. See what happens. If anyone has any other ideas feel free to chime in. Or if you know which wire i can throw a switch on and atleast be able to turn off the lights when i park instead of having to disconnect the battery after every stop i do for work which is one every 10-20 minutes.
I agree with you that it's most likely the switch. This will tell us where along the line it's broken and verify that it's the switch.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #18
Dabsfordaze
Newcomer

The headlight/combo switch right? Anyone know how to check it? Im in the middle of moving so i havent had much chance to check the fuse. But i have a multimeter and can check anything electrical with the right guidance
Old 01-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #19
h22sparkle
CB7tuner Member

h22sparkle may have said something they shouldn't have...
Hit that junkyard and get the switch then swap em out but before you do that always disconnect the battery before you disconnect and reconnect anything just for good measure. It shouldn't cost much just a few bucks like 20 bucks or so.
h22sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #20
visualpoet
Contributing Member

visualpoet seems to have made some friends! visualpoet seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to visualpoet Send a message via MSN to visualpoet Send a message via Yahoo to visualpoet
Following. I'm having the same problem. I pulled the small light fuse under the hood. Lights are still on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: