idle climbs to3000rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

idle climbs to3000rpm

Well, I've been off the forums lately due to the holidays and general lack of interest in my car in general. The new year is here and some maintenance is in order. But early this morning a problem arose.

A little background, for the past week(ish), I'll start the car and it'll idle at around 1500rpm, as it should. Then it would climb to 2000. Usually once it heated to normal operating temp, it would go back to 700-800 while driving, but not always.

This morning I got off a 12 hour night shift and got in and warmed up the car to de-ice the windshield. While waiting, the idle climbed all the way to 3000rpm. Puzzled and a little worried, I drive home (5 minute drive, thankfully). While driving, anytime I let off the gas, the rpms would stay around 3000 and the car wouldn't slow until 5 seconds or so of letting off the gas.

I checked the FITV and the plastic piece inside did need to thread down some, so I did that. This seemed to help, but the idle still climbs, even while warm, to about 1800. It never drops back down to 700-800 as it used to.

Any help is appreciated. Sorry for the long winded post, I wanted to be as thorough as possible.
    We are all ricers, it just depends what flavor rice you are.

Minitrucker by heart, CB7tuner by coincidence.

My For Sale Thread
    Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

Vacuum, vacuum and more vacuum. I would use a water bottle and spray all the gaskets on the intake side if you hear the engine stutter, you have a leak.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

check the vacuum hose going to the cruise control, and by checking I mean unplug it and put your finger, if the idle changes (you will know from the sound of the engine) then you have found it !!

another suspect is the PCV, unplug the PCV hose and plug it with some cap that fits perfectly, if the idle goes back to normal, there goes your idle problem.

The third suspect would be your brake booster vacuum hose, why because those are the biggest main vacuum leaks that most likely shoot the rpm to 3000, all others don't shoot it up that high, maybe to 1500 - 2000 only.

I know because I struggled with vacuum problems for a long time. let us know.

Sorry I posted the above by reading the title only and not the OP post,

I suggest after you verify these because they are easy to do, get 2 12mm wrenches and unscrew both nuts on the throttle cable,

make sure you have a little slack, you will know when you push the lever with your thumb to move the throttle plate if your hear the sound of the plate hitting the the throttle body side walls then it is the ideal

position with the minimum slack possible then re tighten both nuts at the same time in opposite directions. <== do that with the engine off

your CB7 will NOT stall anymore and your rpm would act normally again
      Last edited by EsperHamid; 01-05-2014, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X