help needed: timing belt tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help needed: timing belt tension

So I had to replace my water pump on my cb7 and everything was going smoothly until it came time to adjust tension on the timing belt.

I've read a hundred times over to rotate the crank counter-clockwise until you get 3 teeth away from where it was.

My misunderstanding is how you can turn the crank CCW. I've tried this but all I seem to do is loosen the crank pulley bolt.

I can turn the crank pulley by hand slightly both CW and CCW but it doesn't move the cam at all. If I turn it CW it tightens the front side of the timing belt.

There's probably some slight detail I'm overlooking or just not getting. I just cant see how I can turn the crank CCW without loosening the crank bolt.
    We are all ricers, it just depends what flavor rice you are.

Minitrucker by heart, CB7tuner by coincidence.

My For Sale Thread
    Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

I'm sure you'd have to torque down the pulley bolt to proper spec before that step.
    A&P-IA

Comment

Tighten it enough to be able to turn the engine without loosening the pulley.

Also, make sure your spark plugs are out so you aren't fighting compression.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I think the torque spec for the crankshaft bolt is something like 180 ft-lbs. If you torque it to spec, it will not loosen when you turn it CCW.

Comment

Working...
        X