Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

valve adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
    I don't recall but does the mark "UP" also on the side of the cam pulley or do I have to take the top timing cover off?
    Thanks.
    Mine was on the pulley

Comment

If yours is an OEM Honda that's fairly new you should be okay. You won't know for certain until you've tried to put it back on though.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

just to verify, when i rotate the engine and watch for the cam gear to go 90 degrees, i'm unsure which way the gear should be going. I know the Hayne's manual says rotate the crankshaft pulley counter clockwise, but i will be turning the PS gear instead. So i'm not sure which way that would in turn make the cam gear move.

IE i have my timing cover on so can only see the side of the cam gear facing the cylinders

therefor do i move the UP marking 90 degrees towards the front or rear of the car to get to cylinder #2?

-- Check out my CB -- My CRV blackhousing thread!!-- My CG coupe--

Comment

Originally posted by blk93 View Post
          just to verify, when i rotate the engine and watch for the cam gear to go 90 degrees, i'm unsure which way the gear should be going. I know the Hayne's manual says rotate the crankshaft pulley counter clockwise, but i will be turning the PS gear instead. So i'm not sure which way that would in turn make the cam gear move.

IE i have my timing cover on so can only see the side of the cam gear facing the cylinders

therefor do i move the UP marking 90 degrees towards the front or rear of the car to get to cylinder #2?
          Towards the front.
          Originally posted by Mishakol129
          Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

much appreciated.

Comment

much appreciated.
              Are you going to do yours? Take some pics would you.

Comment

yessir

i have my rocker arm assembly off right now to do the lower tube seals

tomorrow i will take some pictures, but as a first timer for valve adjustment im a teensy bit weary.

im following the cb7 community instructions (always a good idea) and ericthecarguy on youtube. his videos are amazing, as already stated.

but ill throw up a few pictures when all is said and done

Comment

yessir

i have my rocker arm assembly off right now to do the lower tube seals

tomorrow i will take some pictures, but as a first timer for valve adjustment im a teensy bit weary.

im following the cb7 community instructions (always a good idea) and ericthecarguy on youtube. his videos are amazing, as already stated.

but ill throw up a few pictures when all is said and done
                  I don't have to do my lower seals yet, but could you get those pics as well? Let us know how that goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
                    I don't have to do my lower seals yet, but could you get those pics as well? Let us know how that goes.
                    yup.. taking of the rocker arm assembly seems daunting if its your first time, but it wasn't bad

just remember to turn in small increments, using the proper tightening/loosening sequence (generally from the outsides of engine to the inside. can be found in a Hayne's manual and on the site somewhere)

there's a diy for the tube seals right hurr:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...diy+tube+seals

and also, ericthecarguy does a great video for this on youtube.

some manuals, and members of the site, suggest placing cylinder one at TDC before taking off the assembly, which is what i did. But the youtube video doesn't suggest that.

I noticed everyone else's assembly was a lighter color and looked healthy. mine obviously burnt oil..it was very black and burnt on there.

Comment

I have done this to my car and from experience my advise is as follows:

I used and recommend a "feeler guage" that is bent on an angle (not the straight one that is usually used on spark plugs). This will give you a more accurate "feel" which can make a big difference. A drag feel due to incorrect angle can lead to incorrect adjustment.

Be methodical and take your time.

Check, re-check and re-check again (even if you feel sure). You dont want to re-do it again when an extra 5 mins observing etc may discover a human error (eg. forgetting a tool or its tight but the assembly is actually not sitting flush).

Use only Genuine Honda seals. You saved on the labour, dont cheap out too much or else you will pay by additional unecessary labour (doing this is not too hard but re-doing it again prematurely or unecessarily will p*ss you off).

Also after the adjustment it may still sound a tad noisy. Give it a few months to settle. Mine did and it purrs now.

Remember: Better to be a tad loose "noisy" than a burnt valve!!
                      Rides:

Accord
                      92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                      96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                      88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                      92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                      95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                      92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                      91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

And doing this to Honda specs as stated above, you'll still want to do this with the engine cold, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by nine_deuce View Post
                          And doing this to Honda specs as stated above, you'll still want to do this with the engine cold, correct?
                          Yes, Honda spec is <100 degrees F, buy I try and do it in the morning when it's the coldest.

Comment

i've been reading that its possible to through off your timing "on accident" while the rocker arms are off.. what would exactly throw off the timing?

just don't wanna have any (additional) issues here.

Comment

i've been reading that its possible to through off your timing "on accident" while the rocker arms are off.. what would exactly throw off the timing?

just don't wanna have any (additional) issues here.
                              The only way your timing could possibly get thrown off when the rocker arm is removed is if the camshaft lifts up from the tension of the timing belt and the belt slips off the cam gear. I have removed many rocker assemblies and NONE of them have even barely lifted up from the tension, just watch it. As long as the cam stays in the head and the belt doesn't slip off, the timing will stay put.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                                The only way your timing could possibly get thrown off when the rocker arm is removed is if the camshaft lifts up from the tension of the timing belt and the belt slips off the cam gear. I have removed many rocker assemblies and NONE of them have even barely lifted up from the tension, just watch it. As long as the cam stays in the head and the belt doesn't slip off, the timing will stay put.

good deal.. i'm honestly not all too savvy with internal engine components, but that's one thing i was trying to watch for.

thanks
                                Last edited by blk93; 04-23-2012, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X