Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the options of getting a (small) piece of chassis shipped to me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the options of getting a (small) piece of chassis shipped to me?

I live in Europe, so the Accord availability here is low. Very low. Too low! So I'm relying on my fellow Accord enthusiasts in the States to get certain parts. Especially this one...

While stripping the suspension, getting it ready for blasting and paint, I ran into some rust. A lot more than expected...

Here is the part in question.

Is there anyone with / that has access to an Accord where this part is (mostly) rust free? If so, what are the possibilities of getting it cut out and sent to me? I preferred, the part can also get shipped to a fellow member in the States. He will then ship it to me along with some other parts.

It doesn't matter what color the part it is.

I'm sure it could be done. It would be tough to find one intact here in the northern states, but I'll look when hitting the salvage yards. What does the left side look like?

It looks like you mostly need the underside of the rocker box, the side of it above the corner seam appears to be in pretty good condition. If you split that large seam by using a spot weld cutter from below, you can save the flange on the side face and have something fabricated for the bottom piece and smaller areas at the back.
    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 02-22-2018, 07:02 PM.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Thanks! Much appreciated.

"It looks like you mostly need the underside of the rocker box, the side of it above the corner seam"

What part are you exactly talking about? The seam to the left above the square-ish hole?

The plan is to drill out the spot welds, cut out the remaining part of the box, then weld it back in position at the spot weld holes and then seal it all in and get it ready for paint. I want to grind away the least amount of material as possible.

I'll take a look at the other side of the car tomorrow. Thanks for asking! It's rusty, but at a different position as far I can see. I'll show you tomorrow.

Comment

You essentially need item 35 and maybe part of item 20 in the picture below.

Looks like #5 below is mostly still there.

90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Wow those are some intersting pictures, where did you get these? They're not in the manuals are they?

But yes, basically. Definitely parts #1/5, th bottom on which is pretty bad. I think #20 would be too far forward. I'm not sure about #30/33/35 (whichever it is, lol), as long as it's the part that seals up #1/5 with the circular hole in the rear.

Are these parts readily available or do they have to be pulled form a donor vehicle? I guess I could give me local dealer a call and ask what the possibilities are. Probably extremely expensive, lol.

Have you had a chance to check out some Accords yet? Or anyone else?

By the way, te left looks good. Just the usual wheelarch rust. But that can easily be fixed with new arches off've eBay.
          Last edited by yh61r; 02-26-2018, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Those images are specifically from www.cheaperhondaparts.com.

30 and 35 are the two different sides, 33 is the additional piece that forms the jacking point on the bottom. The parts are no longer available from Honda, so yes, they would have to be cut from another car. It has been raining here for a week, so I haven't been out to look.

Comment

You might be better off monetarily trying to get those made out of thicker gauge steel than cutting and shipping, honestly. Take it to someone that can fabricate sheet metal and you're golden. It won't be cheap, but cheaper than getting a part from over here.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
              Originally posted by Stephen Fry
              'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
              Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                Those images are specifically from www.cheaperhondaparts.com.

30 and 35 are the two different sides, 33 is the additional piece that forms the jacking point on the bottom. The parts are no longer available from Honda, so yes, they would have to be cut from another car. It has been raining here for a week, so I haven't been out to look.
                Oh man I wish I could say that. My country has exactly 0 Accords in scrapyards...

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
                You might be better off monetarily trying to get those made out of thicker gauge steel than cutting and shipping, honestly. Take it to someone that can fabricate sheet metal and you're golden. It won't be cheap, but cheaper than getting a part from over here.
                Yeah, that's the plan if this doesn't work out. I could do it myself, but I'd rather get a part that actually fits and is as strong.

Comment

Working...
                X