Help me fix my mountain bike...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me fix my mountain bike...

But before I write a story with pics wondering if anyone will even reply. Norco 19", great bike, disc brakes, blah blah, ). i beat on it, needs a lot of TLC. Anyone into this?

What's wrong with it? I still have my 1977 vintage Schwinn Superior road bike, 26" frame - need to freshen it up and see if I can still ride it.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

i am constantly riding and fixing mine, if you need some input/direction, feel free to post up.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Alright, responses!

So it's a Norco Katmandu. I've had it for about 5 years and it's treated me well. But I am hard on it. The other day the derailer broke and it's fubar and I'm now hoping to fix the list of issues on my own but need some help.

The good
        - shocks are fine
        - shifters are fine
        - wheels are straight and fine / bearings are fine
        - gears fine

The bad
        - Now needs new rear derailer (metal part that holds it to the frame broke)
        - Needs new rubber and tubes (tires need replacing)
        - Needs a new crank (has crank walk/play)
        - Brakes?

I'm willing to spend some $$$ on it but my questions are:
        - What tool do I need (amazon link?) to get the crank out and what do I replace it with? (not sure if there are different sizes, pullers, etc.)
        - What derailer should I go with, I need something that can hold up to the bike falling over on that side etc. (front one works fine)
        - The brake pads seem ok but is there better ones? ie - i cannot slam on the front brakes when stopping and make the back wheel come up; just not enough stopping force
        - Rubbers - I would just going to go buy something at canadiantire + tubes. Any other suggestions?

We'll start with these items. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
          Alright, responses!

So it's a Norco Katmandu. I've had it for about 5 years and it's treated me well. But I am hard on it. The other day the derailer broke and it's fubar and I'm now hoping to fix the list of issues on my own but need some help.

The good
          - shocks are fine
          - shifters are fine
          - wheels are straight and fine / bearings are fine
          - gears fine
          nice! not familiar with it in particular, but they are made to be ridden.
          The bad
          - Now needs new rear derailer (metal part that holds it to the frame broke)
          - Needs new rubber and tubes (tires need replacing)
          - Needs a new crank (has crank walk/play)
          - Brakes?

I'm willing to spend some $$$ on it but my questions are:
          - What tool do I need (amazon link?) to get the crank out and what do I replace it with? (not sure if there are different sizes, pullers, etc.)
          it varies depending on the bearing style (bike model/age) as well as crank arm setup. you might have better luck searching for info based on Norco and the year it was made, if you can't find anything specific for the Katmandu.
          Another alternative would be to look up information about which "crank set" the bike came with, and search for that in particular. You might end up needing to buy a specific tool (a weird socket, or a puller arm, or a bearing puller, etc). Sorry can't be much more specific than that.

- What derailer should I go with, I need something that can hold up to the bike falling over on that side etc. (front one works fine)
          this piece is designed to fail, the "derailleur hanger" is a small, replaceable, metal bracket that mounts the actual assembly to the bike frame. It is designed to be extra soft to act as a sacrificial part, saving the frame and shifter. They are pretty cheap, so buy a few, and you can usually find them on amazon. There are a billion variations so make sure you get the one that is designed for your exact bike model (might take a little searching online). FYI You'll probably need to replace it every time you lay the bike down hard, at least on that corner - so don't expect to find any alternative. It can usually be replaced with just the standard "bike tools" - the stuff that you'd find on one of those all-in-one allen key things for bikes (good to keep in the bag).

DONT BUY SRAM GX derailleur. garbage. You should tend to match brands and shifter/gear style if you need to get a new one - usually either SRAM or SHIMANO, and they are usually sold based on the gear combo: such as 1x11, or 3x7, etc.

- The brake pads seem ok but is there better ones? ie - i cannot slam on the front brakes when stopping and make the back wheel come up; just not enough stopping force
          you can usually find different pad compositions, and a lot of calipers use "standard" pads so it should be easy to locate some that fit. Perhaps burnishing the rotors a bit and fresh pads would be all you need? Though, don't be fooled, with a front shock it will tend to nose dive, rather than popping the rear end up. Also - The front brake should be relatively soft/mild to prevent flipping forward! Would be dangerous otherwise haha. The rear is still capable of locking up and sliding on the tire, right?

- Rubbers - I would just going to go buy something at canadiantire + tubes. Any other suggestions?
          unless you do research and know exactly what you're looking for, you might as well go to the local bike shop (or CT) to get tires, just picking the right type of tread pattern for your type of riding. They'll probably have a couple limited brand choices to pick from.

The tires in the pic look like they would be good for pavement and general "manicured" trail riding. looks like not enough space between the treads for anything softer or crumbly like dirt and rocks.

We'll start with these items. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
          Last edited by cp[mike]; 06-01-2018, 07:58 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Ok. Ya, never knew about the break plate thing. So what I can do is take that off and show us all & also the pads. As for the crank walk...I found this cool PDF that pretty much shows how it all goes together. So i guess the only thing i need to know is how to get the crank out.

Comment

Here's the break away plate (which i just learned is called a hanger). But how do I find the one that fits my bike? I found this searching but that's $127.

Crank caps removed, What puller do I need to get these arms off and get the crank out?

Rear pads, fronts are the same. Do these look normal for wear?

Comment

Working...
              X