CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 12-30-2007, 03:26 PM   #61
Saysana13b
CB7tuner Member

Saysana13b is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to Saysana13b
My temp gauge does not go up a lot. Its only about 20-30 degrees here. After 20mins of driving, it still doesn't go up far. I believe it is broken, would buying one from the junkyard be a good idea? thermostat i mean.
Saysana13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:30 PM   #62
10thcb7
Banned

10thcb7 may be a total jerk. It is very likely.
For the most part I think my car has a complete tune up.
New plugs/wires/cap/rotors/t-stat/rad-cap/fuelfilter/K&N/pcv/ and a few other things. The best I EVER made was 430MPT. Normally I make about 370-380 pertank which isnt that good. Some where I lost alot of milage. I drive pretty bad too. Id suggest not having alot of extra wieght in the car and keeping good tires inflated.
10thcb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:42 PM   #63
accordaffair
Contributing Member

accordaffair is cool... so far.
Send a message via ICQ to accordaffair Send a message via AIM to accordaffair
saysana, I would replace the thermostat, it's only 10-15 dollars from honda, you can install it yourself.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
where you been, is something wrong?
i try to just smile, and say everythingís fine.
accordaffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:11 PM   #64
Accrdwgnguy
Contributing Member

Accrdwgnguy seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Accrdwgnguy
I don't know what you guys do to these cars of yours, but I usually get high 26 or better in my 5spd wagon (and I'm not exactly driving miss daisy) and I hate to say it, but I'm kinda lazy with maintenance. But a clean air filter makes a big difference. I used to be changing them every 10k miles or so(live on a dirt road) so an upgrade to a K+N filter helped a lot. That and I've noticed that fuel gauges show different in each of our cars. My wagon fuel light doesn't come on till the needle is almost past the E. I have a 90 LX 4dr that I've been driving for the past month, and It's light comes on at the line? WTF? And your tires being more than a 1/4 worn or a different size than stock(16" plus) can throw the speedo off. I recorded 33mpg once after 5 hours of 80+mph on the highway with the A/C on! its just not an exact science with out some sort of recording equipment
Accrdwgnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:16 PM   #65
Losiracer2
CB7tuner Member

Losiracer2 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Losiracer2
yeah i think my 215/45R17's are throwing off my trip meter a bit, oh well, i've come to realize that my car has 168K miles, and its from 1993. i did get 32 mpg once during the summer time w/ the AC on, so i feel happy about that. Just winter driving sucks, it has to warm up for a lot longer and by the time you get there, it's just barely warm enough to conserve fuel. Plus too many short trips and the drive thrus will eat you gas alive.

member's ride thread
93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
97' Lexus LS400 289k miles.....Luxury Cruiser DD
89' SEi Coupe 42k miles one owner museum find
Losiracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:46 PM   #66
10thcb7
Banned

10thcb7 may be a total jerk. It is very likely.
oh yeah ac on auto and 300,000 miles.
10thcb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:51 PM   #67
benji
CB7tuner Member

benji is cool... so far.
Send a message via MSN to benji Send a message via Yahoo to benji
State matters... CA gets a lot of crap additives in it's gas, which is bad, drops my average 3-5 mpg. I love it when I can make it in to Nevada to get a tank, my car runs so much better!

My f22 prelude got 28 on average, no matter how I drove, about 340 miles (if I let it go that low, which was rare).

I'm putting an H22 in it now, so I don't expect that much longer.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:41 PM   #68
johnl
CB7tuner Member

johnl seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accrdwgnguy
But a clean air filter makes a big difference. I used to be changing them every 10k miles or so(live on a dirt road) so an upgrade to a K+N filter helped a lot.
Agreed, but in between changes it's a good idea to blow them clean(er) with compressed air. Just use a blower nozzle and thoroughly blow them from the clean side to dislodge any crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accrdwgnguy
I recorded 33mpg once after 5 hours of 80+mph on the highway with the A/C on! its just not an exact science with out some sort of recording equipment
Long hauls at a constant speed (even if that speed is on the faster end of what you're likely to ever sanely use) will always give the best economy because (relatively) it doesn't take a lot of energy to keep a car at legal hwy speeds. On the hwy your enemies are aerodynamic drag and rolling reistance, if you don't have to haul the weight up hills or have to constantly bring it back up to speed after slowing then the biggest enemy (mass) is largely taken out of the picture.

On flat open roads aerodynamic drag is the biggest enemy, but at legal speeds while significant it's still not a huge deal with a reasonably aerodynamic car. However, if you travel significantly faster than legal speeds the aerodynamic resistance becomes a much bigger problem very quickly because aero resistance increases with the cube of the speed, i.e. a relatively small velocity increase over a given highish speed can see aero drag increase exponentially, and thus economy take a big dive.

Having the air-con on means you can have the windows shut on a hot day, and this negates the aero drag caused by open windows, so with AC on and windows shut it's probably not much different than AC off and windows open, give or take.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:51 PM   #69
i<3mycb7coupe
CB7tuner Member

i<3mycb7coupe is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnl
Hwy mileage is as reasonable benchmark as any other, so long as you are comparing apples to apples. If most of your driving is at hwy speeds then it's a better benchmark than city or 'average' economy.

Comparisons with statements like 'get 400 miles from a tank full' are pointless because the variables from one person's tank full to another person's are too great to make the comparison meaningful (even one person's different fill ups will be less than equal).

I thought my car was doing well to get 40 -42mpg on the hwy, now I'm sure there must be something very very wrong with it!
I see there's 90% of ppl where they get somewhere around 350 mi/tank, but when you get around 400, as I did before, you have to drive like a grandma, which is no fun
But avg is still better than max or min because, max & min can throw off the median of the bellshapedcurve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack_odom
Yummmmm. I'm going to go eat some Buddy Club sauce with my Mugen Spoon.
i<3mycb7coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:41 PM   #70
johnl
CB7tuner Member

johnl seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3mycb7coupe
I see there's 90% of ppl where they get somewhere around 350 mi/tank, but when you get around 400, as I did before, you have to drive like a grandma, which is no fun
But avg is still better than max or min because, max & min can throw off the median of the bellshapedcurve.
I said "I thought my car was doing well to get 40 -42mpg on the hwy, now I'm sure there must be something very very wrong with it!", because you said you were getting 350 to 400mpg, not mpt. I know it was just a typo on your part, it was a small attempt at humour (at your expense) on my part!

If we discount driving habits (i.e. leadfoot vs granny), which we can't really, but lets pretend we can; The problem is that one person's average driving conditions won't be the same as anothers. My average includes a lot of country driving and relatively little town driving, so my average will be better than most, my bellcurve probably looks a lot different to yours, and would even if our cars were utterly identical.

IMO the best benchmark between two similar vehicles is hwy driving at legal speeds because there are less variables.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #71
JTM
CB7tuner Member

JTM is cool... so far.
It could be my injectors? would that cause a rough start. I always thought it was the MFR but it could be the injectors
Old 01-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #72
johnnyo032003
CB7tuner Member

johnnyo032003 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to johnnyo032003 Send a message via Yahoo to johnnyo032003
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordWarrior
My LX couldn't get better than 26 mpg highway, but my Mom's EX gets anywhere from 26-34 mpg around town.

It's weird.
its cause she has the factory headers and dual tip muffler

Hit me up with techy questions if i don't have an answer i can get an answer...
johnnyo032003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #73
quaidum
Contributing Member

quaidum is cool... so far.
i deliver pizzas in my f22a6 ex coupe manual and i don't drive slow i bring it to about 3000 in 1,2, and about 2000-2500 in 3,4 i get at least 26-28 in the city and over 33 driving 80-90 mph on the highway i have 214,000 miles
quaidum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #74
cb7addict
CB7tuner Member

cb7addict is cool... so far.
I think the most I got to a tank was like 425 miles . Im missing that right now, I have a 89 4x4 4runner and the most I have got on it is 230 miles on a tank. It also has 240,000 miles on it.
cb7addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #75
wtfisafleek
CB7tuner Member

wtfisafleek is cool... so far.
I see no one's replied to this thread in 10 years, so why not add a little something?

I recently did a LOT of work to my car to bring it back up to snuff, e.g. new cylinder head, motor mounts, air filter, spark plugs, full exhaust..the list goes on. I didn't accurately track my first couple tanks worth of gas, but I only had to fudge on maybe 20 miles on the trip meter. By my math I got 26.5 mpg. Not bad at all, but I made sure to reset my meter on my last fill up. Hoping to get 27 or better.

This is on a '91 LX AT with crap tires and 383k on the suspension.
wtfisafleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:42 PM   #76
Bunta
CB7tuner Member

Bunta is cool... so far.
The last time I paid attention to my gas mileage was on a trip between my city and the next town over (roughly 33 miles away). Topped off before leaving and topped off at the same gas station and same pump (just to eliminate as many variables as possible) and got around 28 mpg. I live in hill country though so that would account for my mpg being lower than the previous time I tested it at 34 mpg which occurred on open road with long stretches of constant speed and few if any hills.
Bunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:48 PM   #77
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
I run about 25-26 for in town driving with an F22A6 and Prelude transmission. 30+ on the highway. My 92 EX does roughly similar, 32+ on the highway. My son managed to consistently squeeze 30 out of the wagon over last summer with a lot of highway driving.

LOTS of CB7 parts for sale http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #78
JTL_91CB7
Newcomer

JTL_91CB7 is cool... so far.
I have a full exhaust kit and and air intake. I just fixed a leak I had in the alexhaust and a vacuumed leak in the valve cover. I can make it 350 miles just over a half a tank. I believe the car is about 16 gallon tank, Iím rangin Iím at about 35 miles to the gallon right now.
JTL_91CB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #79
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL_91CB7 View Post
I have a full exhaust kit and and air intake. I just fixed a leak I had in the alexhaust and a vacuumed leak in the valve cover. I can make it 350 miles just over a half a tank. I believe the car is about 16 gallon tank, Iím rangin Iím at about 35 miles to the gallon right now.
The tank is advertised as 17 gallons, but that's not all usable. In most of my Accords, the light comes on at about 14 gallons and the most I've ever put in one (literally died because it ran out of fuel) was 15.3 gallons. Keep a log of miles driven vs. gallons used to get a true record of your mileage.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: