Wise Words From Wise People Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Willie Nelson is wise.

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
    -Mark Twain

I saw a funny comment about this quote:

"On the contrary, I feel it is a great tragedy that I have not been alive since the universe began."
    Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
    -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
    MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." -Norman Cousins

Comment

You ask me, I welcome new gods. Bring them on. The god of guns. The god of bombs. All the gods of ignorance and intolerance, of self-righteousness, idiocy and blame. All the stuff they try and land me with. Take a lot of the weight off my shoulders. - fictional Jesus Christ in Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods'

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits - Einstein

Regarding the bit of debate on "harmony" above... the word itself has nothing to do with positive or negative. It simply means something along the lines of "agreeably existing together." Things working together to the same end, regardless of what that end means.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by uslspct View Post
          "People who think that they know everything are really annoying to those of us who actually do."
          Who said this? I feel like I read it in context recently...

Accord Aero-R

Comment

"Every transformation gets worse before it gets better". I wrote it down and kept in my wallet during medic school. I was homeless during my medic internship, but I made it happen.

Comment

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -Thomas Paine

Comment

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”

“We love what we love. Reason does not enter into it. In many ways, unwise love is the truest love. Anyone can love a thing because. That’s as easy as putting a penny in your pocket. But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”

“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts. There are seven words that will make a person love you. There are ten words that will break a strong man’s will. But a word is nothing but a painting of a fire. A name is the fire itself.”

“Bones mend, regret stays with you forever”

‘No man is brave that has never walked a hundred miles. If you want to know the truth of who you are, walk until not a person knows your name. Travel is the great leveler, the great teacher, bitter as medicine, crueler than mirror-glass. A long stretch of road will teach you more about yourself than a hundred years of quiet introspection’

“Call a jack a jack. Call a spade a spade. But always call a whore a lady. Their lives are hard enough, and it never hurts to be polite.”

“A story is like a nut, A fool will swallow it whole and choke. A fool will throw it away, thinking it of little worth. But a wise man finds a way to crack the shell and eat all the meat inside."

“Music is a proud, temperamental mistress. Give her the time and attention she deserves, and she is yours. Slight her and there will come a day when you call and she will not answer. ”

“When someone tells you a piece of their life, they’re giving you a gift, not granting you your due.”

“Only a fool worries over what he can’t control.”

“You meet a girl: shy, unassuming. If you tell her she’s beautiful, she’ll think you’re sweet, but she won’t believe you. She knows that beauty lies in your beholding. And sometimes that’s enough. But there’s a better way. You show her she is beautiful. You make mirrors of your eyes, prayers of your hands against her body. It is hard, very hard, but when she truly believes you . . .Suddenly the story she tells herself in her own head changes. She transforms. She isn’t seen as beautiful. She is beautiful, seen.”

‎”A poet is a musician who can’t sing.Words have to find a man’s mind before they can touch his heart, and some men’s minds are woeful small targets. Music touches their hearts directly no matter how small or stubborn the mind of the man who listens.”

“That is how heavy a secret can become. It can make blood flow easier than ink.”

“It is the questions we can’t answer that teach us the most. they teach us how to think.”

From The Kingkiller Chronicle trilogy. If you're at all into fantasy novels, there's no story I could recommend more. Funny as fuck, but the writing is also insanely beautiful.
                Last edited by CyborgGT; 12-28-2015, 12:00 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

There is nothing but truth in those words you posted CyborgGT.

by Louis L'Amour:
                  Only the ignorant are fanatical.
                  CB7TUNER.com
                  Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Liars lie.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                      Liars lie.
                      Hilliary
                      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

^ Ooh, dont even go there. That is a debate for another place.

Another one I just read in a fictional story, though the character was being a smart ass after a guy she really (and secretly) loved completely fell for a girl he only saw once and never actually met:

"Love is like a pigeon shitting over a crowd. Where it lands hasn't got much to do with who deserves it."

I can relate to that one in the sense that for the more reserved of us, it's hard to put ourselves out there and let our feelings be known, so often times what has great potential for a good thing passes us by. Meanwhile people of... let us say questionable intelligence, have no trouble at all. Not to say they don't necessarily deserve it, but you know.

Funnily enough: I was in a similar situation before. A girl I really liked and was trying to get to know ended up dating a stereotypically dumb jock type that just popped into the scene. They later broke up. She's since moved cities twice. I've since moved cities twice. And now, something like five years later, she's back in my regular life.

The response the girl in that original quote got from a different friend was, "I think you may be confusing love with a different kind of longing."
                        Last edited by CyborgGT; 02-11-2016, 02:26 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                          Hilliary
                          Wow this made my day!!!!!

“Rights aren’t rights if someone can take them away. They’re privileges. That’s all we’ve ever had in this country, is a bill of temporary privileges. And if you read the news even badly, you know that every year the list gets shorter and shorter. You see all, sooner or later. Sooner or later, the people in this country are gonna realize the government does not give a fuck about them! The government doesn’t care about you, or your children, or your rights, or your welfare or your safety. It simply does not give a fuck about you! It’s interested in its own power. That’s the only thing. Keeping it and expanding it wherever possible.”

`George Carlin`

Comment

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

The most dangerous thing in your career and in life is playing it safe. - Casey Neistat.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                              Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                              'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                              Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

As They Feed The War Machine And Pull The Strings Behind The Scenes With A Bloated Sense Of Supremacy.
                                Blinded By The Preconceived Distorted Way To Be Perceived. It's What's Believed By Your Enemy.
                                Hold On To Something! Here Come The Rains; This Dam Is About To Break! Hold On To Nothing! Self Contained; How Much More Can You Take?
                                Might Is Right And Thought Is Wrong. It's A Long Road Nowhere. Enjoy The Ride With Blinders On.
                                Your Government Is In Control. They'll Keep You Safe Inside Your Homes; Board Your Windows Lock Your Doors.
                                Hold On To Something! Here Come The Rains; This Dam Is About To Break! Hold On To Nothing! Self Contained; How Much More Can You Take? Before You Break... Let Freedom Ring...

Comment

Working...
                                X