Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Alternator removal/installation procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator removal/installation procedure

So my alternator died on my way to an appointment this morning and I don't have the money to have a shop do it. What would be the correct/easiest way to remove and install the alternator and what tools would it require?

It's currently my household's only transportation so I need to do this as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Unbolt the power steering pump and set it to the side. (leave the hoses attached)
    Disconnect the wires from the alternator.
    Unbolt the alternator.
    Installation is reverse of removal.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimmTex View Post
      Unbolt the power steering pump and set it to the side. (leave the hoses attached)
      Disconnect the wires from the alternator.
      Unbolt the alternator.
      Installation is reverse of removal.
      Disconnect the battery first!! Very crucial.
      Originally posted by deevergote
      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

I got to mine without removing the power steering pump. I left the pump and PS belt connected and moved the Cruise control stuff out of the way.

You need a 14mm socket with a 3 inch ext and a 12 mm socket with the shortest extension they have. And a 10mm (I use a 1/4 drive for the alt power cable) and a long 10 inch extension with a swivel adapter to adjust the belt tension.

Just did this yesterday.

steve

Comment

With medium depth sockets you can leave the cruise stuff. You will have to remove the p/s belt if you are changing the alt belt. As Steve said the pump can stay.If you have ac it's all tight but not impossible.
          ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

I just finished and I must have spent an hour and a half just trying to fit the alternator belt on the freakin crank pulley. All is set and done though, all that is left is to jump start the car in the morning.

I managed with a ratchet, some short and some deep sockets and a pair of pliers. I'm definitely buying my own pair of pliers tomorrow though, I've had more uses for them the last few days than ever.

Comment

can you charge up the battery instead of jump starting it, that will prevent any possible voltage spikes which might damage your new alternator
              http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X