Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

areannecl - for both of those products i use the mother's brand. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

how would you go about removing swirls?
      Cali.Dumps.Harder.

Comment

Originally posted by FuncOvrForm
        how would you go about removing swirls?
        with a polishing compound. depending on how bad they are you may want to use an orbtal buffer to remove them rather than hand buff.
        http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-pc7424.html

then use proper washing drying techniques to prevent them from returning.
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=59862
        later.

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
          with a polishing compound. depending on how bad they are you may want to use an orbtal buffer to remove them rather than hand buff.
          http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-pc7424.html

then use proper washing drying techniques to prevent them from returning.
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=59862
          later.
          How much are we looking at to have it done?
          Cali.Dumps.Harder.

Comment

really, it's up to the detailer who does it. some are cheap, some are not.

also, some know what they are doing, some don't.

i've met detailers that didn't know what a clay bar was, let alone heard of one.

i taught myself all about polishing through experience and then fine tuning it with reseach, so i never had to do any shopping around for prices. i've heard of people charging anywhere from $125- $500 for a detail.

i'd ask around in your area to see who is good with a buffer. later.

Comment

I have this type of orbital buffer.

Cali.Dumps.Harder.

Comment

that type of buffer doesn't have the power for defect removal. also it has a shorter throw than a porter cable. they are ok for wax application though. otherwise, they just jiggle.

you'd want a buffer like this http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2805 along with the proper pads to efffectively remove defects.

it costs about $100 or so more than the one pictured above, but well worth it. later.

Comment

shyt. ill have to look around to have someone do it. Thanks G.
                  Cali.Dumps.Harder.

Comment

Hey type-g, do you have any problems dealing with the vibrations of the PC?

Is there anyway to prevent the fade on CF parts? My friend said a good sealant and wax would help. Can CF be polished just like normal paint?

Comment

Originally posted by Blk EX Coupe
                      Hey type-g, do you have any problems dealing with the vibrations of the PC?

Is there anyway to prevent the fade on CF parts? My friend said a good sealant and wax would help. Can CF be polished just like normal paint?
                      you don't get as much vibration from a porter-cable because it's balanced with counter-weight.

some carbon fiber has a clear coat and some of it doesn't. some of it has a gel coat and some is just the bare resin.

a sealant would be a good idea followed with wax. i ususally tell people to clay it a few times a year and use a cleaner wax afterwords. it is also a good idea to follow the manufacturer care instructions. later.

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                        that type of buffer doesn't have the power for defect removal. also it has a shorter throw than a porter cable. they are ok for wax application though. otherwise, they just jiggle.

you'd want a buffer like this http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2805 along with the proper pads to efffectively remove defects.

it costs about $100 or so more than the one pictured above, but well worth it. later.
                        can you post the link again? it doesent seem to work.
                        My CB For Sale

Comment

Not sure what he posted, but this is another porter cable buffer
                          http://www.autogeek.net/poca746varap.html

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

great info type-g....my q is i have hard water spots from sprinklers...my friend told me the only way to remove them is with that acid wash stuff they use at the dealer...is this true or can i remove it my self..thanks..
                            1991 Cappuccino Brown LX Coupe
                            2013 Rallye Red Civic EX Coupe

Comment

depends on where the water spots are.

if they are on your paint you can usually get then off with a cleaner wax. if that doesn't work you can step up to a good scratch remover, just wax the area afterword. sometimes water can etch the paint and therefore would require the use of a machine and polish for removal.

if they are on your glass you can try a number of cleaning methods to remove them. in order from least agressive to most:
                              wash with car soap mixture and dry
                              glass cleaner
                              vinegar
                              clay bar
                              chrome polish
                              glass polish

i like to try and use the least agressive method first and then work my way up. later.

Comment

yeah ive tried the cleaner wax(nothing)...so next i guess ill try the clay bar..and vinegar on the windows...thanx let you guys know how it turns out
                                1991 Cappuccino Brown LX Coupe
                                2013 Rallye Red Civic EX Coupe

Comment

Working...
                                X