Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Couple questions about my strut and spring instalation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple questions about my strut and spring instalation

Okay so this Saturday I installed koni yellow struts and ground control coilovers and I'm worried about a couple things, I'm a noob so forgive me. I have 3 main questions.

1. I used my stock strut mounts and when putting the strut together, the spring was too short to compress is this normal? It just floats there until you drop the car on it.
    2. Am I okay using the stock strut mounts? All I did was replace the rubber piece that the stock spring sat under with the top hats that ground control came with.

3. In the front the bump stops only give the strut about an inch maybe an inch and a half of room to depress, should I trim them to give it more room?

Sorry for the long thread guys, I just want this done right! Any input would be awesome!

1. Yes. Your OEM spring is much longer than the Eibach springs from GC.

2. You are supposed to use your stock top hats (strut mounts). The kit was designed to work with them.

3. The Koni instructions say to cut the bump stops...I did and now my UCAs hit. I can't speak for your situation because I don't know how low you are nor your wheel and tire setup. I suggest not cutting them first. If you feel that you aren't getting enough travel, then you can cut them.

Welcome to the forums!

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

The shorter springs will float. Especially the ones on adjustable coilovers. It's not a problem. Just make sure everything is seated properly once you lower the car. General installation instructions SHOULD be available from Ground Control.

Stock strut mounts (the "tophats") can be used with no problem. If the bushings are still good, you'll be fine. You could always upgrade to polyurethane bushings (I believe Energy Suspension makes some.)

Definitely cut the bump stops in half. You can do damage to the strut otherwise. It might be a good idea to buy new bumpstops while you're at it. Cutting the bumpstops should have no effect on the UCA hitting. That comes with camber correction (pushing the ball joint outward toward causes it to come into contact with the inner fenderwell.)

Good choice on parts, by the way. That's one of the best setups you can get for the CB7... and very often overlooked in favor of flashier (inferior) full-bodied coilovers, or the lower pricetag of cheap springs and shocks.

If you haven't invested in a camber kit yet. you might want to do that soon. Ingalls and SPC are the only two brands I would trust, and they make fantastic products. They're not cheap, but they're cheaper than a new set of tires!

Comment

Like they said you'll be fine.....

Good choice, I have the same setup. I assume you got the Koni-Spec GC kit so it slides right on to the shock itself right? (so you don't need the lower spring perch)

Koni Spec (aka the "right way")

vs. the "standard" GC kit which is supposed to fit all other shocks but Koni's. It can be run with Koni's as shown below, but isn't optimal.

Comment

Yes I got the ones specifically for koni yellows
          Thanks guys this is exactly what I needed!!

Comment

How did it come out? Just curious about the ride and the adjustments as i am thinking about going that route...
            Procrastination is a THIEF of time!!

MY MRT

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203992

My First CB7

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/705233/1990-honda-accord/

Comment

Working...
            X