Question about rear suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about rear suspension?

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question as any answers will vary am sure. IS it worth it to replace all 4 rear lower control arms or should i focus on something else in rear. I have pretty much replaced everything up front and now want to get it aligned. I still need to replace rear shock tower bushings but outside of that i am not sure i want to do it all right now as i got more pressing needs on car(AC unit is one). I love it when i get my car a little bit closer to perfect but am wondering is it worth it to do all the rear control arms right now. They seem pretty easy to replace so that is encouraging and i can get all the parts for less than 100 bucks. Am also thinking of replacing the trailing arm and sway bar bushing and that supposed sway bar link. Anyone got any opinions?

As long as the bushings aren't torn, it won't hurt to run what you've got. When you say "rear shock tower bushings" are you referring to the bushing in the knuckle for the lower end of the shock? This one won't affect the alignment. It can be a pain in the neck to replace; sometimes the bolt is seized in the metal sleeve and things have to be cut to remove them. You might check whether you can even turn the bolts before taking it all the way apart; make sure you have all parts necessary to put it back together before taking it all apart. This also goes for the control arm bushing bolts, particularly the forward inner that has the eccentric head and washer; being in TX, yours may not be rusted all to heck. These need to be able to rotate in order to set the rear toe. Here again, make sure these can all be rotated and maybe have a spare set of bolts handy just in case.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
      As long as the bushings aren't torn, it won't hurt to run what you've got. When you say "rear shock tower bushings" are you referring to the bushing in the knuckle for the lower end of the shock?
      Yes those bushings. I can see small rips in them. I know these need replaced but as far as others am not sure. The bolts on these turn fine. Haven't checked the rear lower control arm bolts or bushings yet. Hard to tell just getting under car on back. I will have to pay a shop to do those as i have no press and do work in a parking space.

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
        Yes those bushings. I can see small rips in them. I know these need replaced but as far as others am not sure. The bolts on these turn fine. Haven't checked the rear lower control arm bolts or bushings yet. Hard to tell just getting under car on back. I will have to pay a shop to do those as i have no press and do work in a parking space.
        Many guys do these with the knuckles on the car. I have used a hole saw to cut out the metal bushing, then a sawzall to cut the bushing shell to make it easy to punch it out. I then use an appropriate size socket and washers and a bolt to push the new bushing in.

Here's one DIY: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=8980
        Last edited by Fleetw00d; 04-27-2018, 06:05 PM.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I must say that the bolts for the rear suspension was THE hardest part about redoing my suspension. I had to cut the Rear Toe Arms because they were seized to the metal sleeves. The other bolts, I got lucky & they were not too bad. Definitely my favorite section of the car that I fixed.

You will be very happy & satisfied once you have redone the rear.
          Keep Pushing..

Comment

Working...
          X