This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is HPDE?

HPDE stands for high performance driving experience. It is where anyone can take their daily car out to the track and drive it as fast as they can.
    You do not need a super fast car, nor is it recommended. Whatever you drive everyday will be fine, as long as it is not something with a high center of gravity, ex. truck.

If it is your first time you will be required to have an instructor ride with you to teach you how to drive your car to the limit without running into a gravel trap.

HPDE have stricter requirements on the condition of the car, more so than autocross.

Entry fees for HPDE are also a lot higher than auto-x. Your typical day of auto-x will cost $20-$25, whereas HPDE will cost typically $250-$300.

NASA holds the most HPDE events, they hold HPDE events during every one of their racing weekends during the year. There is also a little known secret where you can get your HPDE for free:
    If you work two racing weekends with NASA, you earn credit to run an HPDE event for free. These credits are also fully transferable, you only need to be a NASA member to claim this.

www.nasaproracing.com

SCCA and other private clubs also hold HPDE events, but nowhere near the frequency of the NASA events.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

Here is a good article pasted directly from NASA-southeast region's website:
    High Performance Driver's Education (HPDE)

NASA-Southeast holds High Performance Driving Events (HPDE) at permanent road racing tracks on the East Coast. The schedule will include events at Roebling Road Raceway, Road Atlanta, Carolina Motorsports Park, Rockingham and Barber Motorsports Park.

NASA's driving schools are open to both street and race vehicles, if piloted by street or race licensed drivers in the United States. Although these events definitely involve going fast in cars, and they may take place during race weekends, THEY ARE NOT WHEEL-TO-WHEEL RACING EVENTS.

The Groups: We have four groups, which means we run four groups of cars on the track in three to four sessions each per day. Sessions last anywhere between 20 to 30 minutes, depending upon the event. Run Groups are based almost entirely on driver experience and skill, and each one contains about 15 cars per mile of track.

Group 1: "Novice" drivers are those who have driven at zero or very few track days and have never been "signed off" by an instructor for solo track driving. Signing up for Group 1 requires an instructor. Passing other cars in Group 1 is only allowed on straights and only after the driver of the lead car signals that it's safe to pass.

Group 2: "Intermediate" drivers are those who have driven at some track days on at least one track and have been "signed off" by an instructor on at least one track. Signing up for Group 2 requires an instructor. Passing other cars in Group 2 is only allowed on straights after the driver of the lead car signals.

Group 3: "Advanced" drivers are those who have participated at 10 track days on more than one track and have been "signed off" by an instructor for each track driven. Group 3 drivers can request instructors at additional cost. Passing other cars in Group 3 is only allowed after the driver of the lead car signals but may be done anywhere on the track.

Group 4: "Instructors" are those who have participated and completed Instructor Certification clinics we hold at various events each year. Passing other cars in Group 4 is only allowed after the driver of the lead car signals but may be done anywhere on the track.

Instructors: NASA instructors must attend specified clinics and must follow the NASA curriculum. This standardization is the key to keeping NASA events the safest. Instructors come from such organizations as the Sports Car Club of America, BMW Car Club of America, Porsche Club of America, and more. Many are employed part-time by professional driving schools like BSR, Turn 1 Motorsports and Car Guys. Most trade their services for track time in Group 4 or the special Instructor group.

Instructors are required for drivers in Groups 1 and 2 because they are very effective at relaying all levels of information while showing drivers both the fastest and safest way to get around the track.

The only way for Group 1 and 2 drivers to get solo track time is to get "signed off" by an instructor. Standard levels of skill and knowledge have been set forth by NASA. Until the instructor feels your skills are up to our standards, you will not be allowed on the track alone. Signing off may take as little as a few laps to as much as all day.

Time Trial and Shootout (if time trial is scheduled): In the afternoon, once each group has had its sessions on the track, we usually set up a Time Trial according to NASA regulations.

Rules: Rules of conduct, both on-track and off, will be enforced according to the 2003 NASA Club Codes and Regulations (CCR) rulebook. Participants are expected to be familiar with the CCR before any open track event. Policies include those regarding contact between cars (it's not allowed), sportsmanlike conduct (it's required), and much more. Order your copy, for $12 delivered, from registration@nasa-southeast.com by sending your information and requesting a copy of the rules.

Other rules and regulations to be enforced can be found in the 2006 NASA-SE Time Trial And Shootout Regulations.

What to Wear: Obviously, dress comfortably and for the weather conditions, but remember that long sleeves and pants are a requirement while on the track. Beyond that, wear natural fibers like cotton, which will not bond to the skin in case of fire. No shorts or open-toed shoes are allowed for drivers or passengers.

What to Bring:
    A helmet, if you have one, M90/SA90 or newer rating (loaners may be available)
    Hats, sunglasses, and suntan lotion
    Picnic lunch
    Nonalcoholic beverages
    Rain gear (if you bring it, then it won't rain)
    Chairs
    A tarp or other ground covering (to set up camp on, and to store the things you remove from your car before driving on the track)
    A camera and/or videocamera - if you want pictures
    A Friend/Crew Member

Safety: Our main goal is to provide fun that is both safer and faster than street driving. We employ policies developed over 10 years by professional instructors, emergency response teams and drivers.

Car Tech: Cars will be subjected to an extensive Technical Inspection before they are allowed on the track. In advance, make sure you meet the following minimum requirements. Cars that cannot pass Tech at the track on the morning of the event will not receive entry fee refunds!

All loose items, both inside and outside the car, must be removed. This includes glove compartment contents, storage bin contents, floor mats, tool kits, jacks, hubcaps, trim rings, fender skirts, etc. Spare tires may remain in the vehicle if they are securely bolted down. T-tops, targa tops, sunroofs, and moonroofs may remain on vehicles only if they are held down securely.
    Seat belts must be functional and properly secured. Seat backs and frames shall be secured. This applies to all seats which shall contain drivers, instructors, or passengers.
    Wheels must be firmly attached, with all studs and lug nuts present and tight.
    Wheel bearings must be tight.
    Tires must be in good condition, with no cord patches or belts showing and no cracks in the tread or sidewall. In addition, tires must be sufficiently inflated.
    The throttle shall have a fully functioning return spring.
    The brake pedal must have adequate pressure. The brake fluid reservoir must be full.
    The battery shall be securely mounted and/or held down.
    No excessive fuel, oil, water, or brake fluid leaks shall be allowed.
    Brake lights must be fully functioning.
    Exhaust systems must exit behind the driver.

In addition, we recommend the following:
    A full tank of gas
    A fresh oil change
    Fresh, full coolant
    Fresh high-temp brake fluid (like AP550 or ATE Super Blue or Ford HD)
    Brake pads/shoes with at least 1/2 of original thickness remaining

Roll Bars: They are required in all convertible vehicles and recommended (but not required) in all vehicles. The definition of a roll bar is "substantial rearward metal bracing utilizing four or more points of attachment through the decking to the uni-body structure of the vehicle". Factory hardtops and bolt-on "style bars" do not qualify.

You can find the original page here.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

i have never herd of this do u no were in the va aroud they would do this like vir

The Race Car

Comment

Originally posted by beerman987 View Post
        i have never herd of this do u no were in the va aroud they would do this like vir
        Yes, definitely at VIR. I think Mid-Atlantic region runs the NASA races at VIR, but there are also several other private experiences that allow the same thing.

But, if you attend one put on by either SCCA or NASA, you have taken the first step to obtain a competition license.
        Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

i have been to a autocroos held by both nasa and scca does that count. and i am a member of the scca

The Race Car

Comment

i have been to a autocroos held by both nasa and scca does that count. and i am a member of the scca
            Towards the competition license? No, that is only for the HPDE stuff, at road courses.
            Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

ok

you should come do a track day at vir with me it be fun to race a nother cb

The Race Car

Comment

ok

you should come do a track day at vir with me it be fun to race a nother cb
                I'll try and do that this year.
                Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

your guys sig match.

Comment

Good info. This is what I am looking at doing. They have these events frequently down in Phoenix, and I may start this summer if able.

I don't know if they are sponsored by NASA or SCCA though, although my guess would be one or the other. Ultimately, I want to get my competition license, but there is only 1 road course that I know of in AZ, so I would either have to travel like crazy or wait. Most likely I would wait.
                    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                      Good info. This is what I am looking at doing. They have these events frequently down in Phoenix, and I may start this summer if able.

I don't know if they are sponsored by NASA or SCCA though, although my guess would be one or the other. Ultimately, I want to get my competition license, but there is only 1 road course that I know of in AZ, so I would either have to travel like crazy or wait. Most likely I would wait.
                      During every NASA race weekend, they also hold HPDE events and those are the ones that help you to a competition license.

The SCCA events also do the same thing, but you would have to stick with one until you get your license, because you can't mix the education courses.

But either license is accepted with pretty much all clubs in the United States.

And on the proximity to road courses, they are pretty spread out for the most part. I feel like I am in a pretty good spot.

1 hour to Carolina Motorsports Park
                      2.5 hours to Virginia International Raceway
                      3 hours to Road Atlanta
                      1 hour to High Rock Raceway (not yet finished)
                      Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

For those who live in SoCal, Speedventures and Redline hold HPDEs.
                        Raceline USA

Comment

I always thought it was high performance driving event? lol guess not haha but always worth the money.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          I piss off people for fun.
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
                            I always thought it was high performance driving event? lol guess not haha but always worth the money.
                            I thought the same. I always use "event" rather than "experience". Same shit.
                            Raceline USA

Comment

do thay do that in washington?
                              My 90 coupe Mr thread....
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178452

Comment

Working...
                              X