I am bowing out of racing CB7s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prez808 View Post
    Since you have a lot of suspension mods already, why not just get a milder spring like the Eibach Pro Kit and appropriate shocks for them. My car is set up exactly for the reasons you mentioned why you don't like daily driving you car as it is now. No reason why a daily driver can't be fun to drive and ride well too.
    I can get stock springs for free. In stock form the CB7 is not a bad handler. Plus, I will be keeping my sway bar.

Oh and the car is:
    '07 Mini Cooper S.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
      I can get stock springs for free. In stock form the CB7 is not a bad handler. Plus, I will be keeping my sway bar.

Oh and the car is:
      '07 Mini Cooper S.
      i would of done first gen not as big, but bad ass ride

Comment

Originally posted by jhoff_cb7 View Post
        i would of done first gen not as big, but bad ass ride
        What?
        Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

the first gen cooper s, the one with the supercharger
          the newer ones seem fat to me.

Comment

btw yuou should save your money
            the abarth fiat 500 coming soon...

Comment

Originally posted by jhoff_cb7 View Post
              the first gen cooper s, the one with the supercharger
              the newer ones seem fat to me.
              It is not my car. And I won't be driving it all the time.

Plus the 07+ models are pretty much superior in almost every way:
              Direct injection turbo
              Lighter suspension
              Better looks
              Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                It is not my car. And I won't be driving it all the time.

Plus the 07+ models are pretty much superior in almost every way:
                Direct injection turbo
                Lighter suspension
                Better looks
                Hey man I totally feel you on that. Although I dont race(Do you have a thread about how you got started, What you race, Etc?) I know what you mean when you were talking about the cb7s just lacking something. But I do enjoy the ride.

But why not go with a rex? The curb weight is a lot heavier(300 lbs to be near exact) on the mini then the rex. Just throw a turbo in the rex and gut it would be hella light.

Comment

Originally posted by Reignstarz View Post
                  Hey man I totally feel you on that. Although I dont race(Do you have a thread about how you got started, What you race, Etc?) I know what you mean when you were talking about the cb7s just lacking something. But I do enjoy the ride.

But why not go with a rex? The curb weight is a lot heavier(300 lbs to be near exact) on the mini then the rex. Just throw a turbo in the rex and gut it would be hella light.
                  RSX? For one, throwing a turbo anything puts you in a much higher class, and 2.

I AM NOT BUYING A NEW CAR. SOMEONE IS LETTING ME DRIVE THEIR CAR. THE ONLY CAR I OWN AND DRIVE DAILY IS THE CB7. I AM NOT BUYING A NEW CAR.

I AM NOT BUYING A NEW CAR

I AM NOT BUYING A NEW CAR.
                  Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Well it was nice to have someone seriously racing a CB for an extended period of time. Pretty impressive to that you were able to get 3rd place following those two vehicles. Your driving skills made the most out of a platform that wasn't really built for that kind of competition.

I hope you hang onto your CB for awhile to come. I understand the feeling of exasperation with the fully modded feel you are currently enduring, but I would reconsider fully reverting back to stock. You can have comfortable and sporty and reliable for a decent price these days.
                    1992 Accord LX Wagon 248K/155 Miles

Comment

Sad, but a good decision, Gary. One reason why I never really raced my CB7 is that it was my daily driver. It's not wise to abuse a car that you need for your daily life! And racing is pretty extreme abuse!

But yeah... the Subie has a 2.5L, and is AWD. Heavy, but it has the extra grunt and grip to compensate. The Neon is a 2.0L, right? But way lighter.

That's another thing that kept me out of racing... the classes. Yes, it's to make things fair... but to make the car competitive, I'd be putting it against cars that it really can't compete with!

I want to take my CB7 on a road course, like Karl has been doing. He has been doing very well with that!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        Sad, but a good decision, Gary. One reason why I never really raced my CB7 is that it was my daily driver. It's not wise to abuse a car that you need for your daily life! And racing is pretty extreme abuse!

But yeah... the Subie has a 2.5L, and is AWD. Heavy, but it has the extra grunt and grip to compensate. The Neon is a 2.0L, right? But way lighter.

That's another thing that kept me out of racing... the classes. Yes, it's to make things fair... but to make the car competitive, I'd be putting it against cars that it really can't compete with!

I want to take my CB7 on a road course, like Karl has been doing. He has been doing very well with that!
                        Actually, the subie is about the same weight as CB7. Neon is a 2.0 and has 140 whp.

Like I said, there is a class out there for the cb7, it is just a highly modified class, and right now I cannot do highly modified.

And if anyone were seriously thinking about road racing their cb7 I would have to say that one of the Honda Challenge classes is the best. I don't think you would be able to do well with any SCCA club racing class.
                        Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Do you even have an F22A6 (or equivalent) in your car?
                          But yeah, I've studied the Honda Challenge rules, at least how they were a few years back. VERY strict, but I did find a class that I felt a CB7 could compete in. Unfortunately, my H22 prevents that from being a possibility... I'd be racing with NSXs with my swap!

The CB7 is well balanced, with a good suspension and a broad powerband (in just about all of the swap options as well). It makes a better road car than it does an autox car, unless you modify it heavily... which, as you said, puts you in a class that you can't afford (and would probably still be very difficult... you'd be racing much more powerful cars still!)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            Do you even have an F22A6 (or equivalent) in your car?
                            But yeah, I've studied the Honda Challenge rules, at least how they were a few years back. VERY strict, but I did find a class that I felt a CB7 could compete in. Unfortunately, my H22 prevents that from being a possibility... I'd be racing with NSXs with my swap!

The CB7 is well balanced, with a good suspension and a broad powerband (in just about all of the swap options as well). It makes a better road car than it does an autox car, unless you modify it heavily... which, as you said, puts you in a class that you can't afford (and would probably still be very difficult... you'd be racing much more powerful cars still!)
                            I do have an F22A6 in the car, sort of. But even doing that in an LX shell is illegal.

And the Honda Challenge rules have relaxed in a sense in the past few years. Right now Karl is running an H22 swap in H2.
                            Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Really? Maybe it's time to get my car on the track! I'll have to see if there are Honda Challenge races held at the new New Jersey Motorsports Park that was just built. I have yet to get out there...

I've heard lots of stories about cars that run illegal mods that are difficult to prove. A mild camshaft upgrade that doesn't affect idle can give 5-10hp. Mild headwork for another few horsepower. Decking the block or milling the head for more compression (though this will change valve timing, and an adjustable gear is noticeable)
                              Illegal, yes... but many people do such things that are very difficult to prove. Not suggesting that you, or anyone else, should do it... but it has been done by others, and will continue to be done. We had a dirt track racer on here that was always venting about VWs on the track that clearly had cam upgrades.

Comment

So, what car you gonna buy?

I don't know if i would put the suspension back to stock if i was you though. It's pretty bad lol.
                                Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
                                Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
                                Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
                                Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
                                Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
                                Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Working...
                                X