EXT: Power folding mirror JDM/USDM combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Power folding mirror JDM/USDM combo

WARNING: I am not liable for any damages you yourself may cause when attempting this DIY.

First off this DIY if for those of you who dont want to spend the money to repaint your JDM mirrors the same color as your car but still wan tthem the car color, also this was performed on a coupe, it could work on sedans also or even if you wer sent the wrong version for example you have a coupe but recieved sedan mirrors, this is just the fix your looking for.

Step 1: Remove the Mirror from you vehicle, by removing the black plastic cover that covers the mirror electrical connector, and screws. Unclip the connector, then remove the 3 screws securing the mirror the the door of the vehicle.

Step 2: Remove the black rubber cover that covers the famale connector, and mirror base on the mirror.

Step 3: Remove the screws holding the connector in place, then remove the 3 screws on the bottom of the base, they are covered by clear tape, follow this up by removing the screws shown in the photo to follow

Step 4: Ok heres where the paper clip comes into play, use the paper clip to de-pin the pins in the black connector(I found it useful to use some wire cutters to cut the paper clip tip off creating a point)(REMEMBER WHICH PINS GO WHERE ON THE JDM MIRRORS!!!!)

Step 5: Remove the mirror base and painted cover.

Step 6: Locate the hole on the bottom of the mirror housing and use a phillips screw driver the unscrew the screw thats located inside, this will free up the glass and adjusting motor.

Step 7:Remove the 5 screws holding the 2 halves of the the mirror housing together (you can also remove the first 2 screws holding the adjustment motor base inplace)

Step 8: remove the loose half the housing( be careful not to snap the tab off holding the smaller piece of the half on)

Step 9: now you can finish removing the last screw holding the motor base in

Step 10: remove the motor base, motor and glass from the housing, and set asside.

ok now we are done with the USDM mirror, now onto the JDM mirror

Step 11: Repeat steps 1-5

Step 12: ok heres where it get different. physically adjust the mirror so it is aimed as far up as possible, then remove the screw like instructed in Step 6 but once you remove it take a flat head screwdriver and pry off the little metal piece holding the adjustment motor tight, then move the adjustment motor out of the way.

Step 13: Gently use a tiny flathead screw driver to unclip the adjustment motor from the folding motor.

Step 14: Repeat steps 7-9

Reinstallation

Step 15: place the JDM power folding motor and base in the USDM housing, and screw in place, but remember not to screw in the bottom screw just yet you have to put the other half of the housing on first before you screw that one in.

Step 16: once you have secured the 2 halves of the mirror housing inplace, take the little metap piece that holds the adjustment motor in place and screw it on( but only a few thread as you still need to put the motor back in)

Step 17: This is just a recommendation step but what i did was adjust then mirror as far inword as possible so i could make sure the motor was fully in place before tightining the holder screw

Step 18: on now reinstall the adjustment motor making sure it goes unter the tab on the top first, then the metal holder second

Last edited by almostJDM; 01-14-2009, 12:42 AM.

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
    1992 Accord EX Coupe
    My FS Thread
    Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Step 19: tighten the holder screw and make sure its in its correct place.

Base reinstallation
    Ok heres where the happmer and chizzle come into play.

Step 20: As you can see in the following photos the JDM and USDM bases are slightly different, so we must modify ever so lightly, this is why.

Step 21:use the hammer and chizzle to cut out the small pin as shown.

Step 22: now stick the still unpinned wires through the big hole in the painted arm( base cover) then through the hole that looks like a really old key hole, then slip the base support into the painted piece, pulling as much wire through as you can as you slide the whole thing to the mirror.

Step 23: reinstall the 3 screws on the bottom the of support base, then the 4 big screws on the supports base securing it to the painted arm.

Step 24: now its time to repin the connector, hope fully you remembered which pins whent where, casue they are different colors on yours then mine.

Step 25: reinstall the 2 screws holding the connector inplace and reinstall the rubber covering the connector. Congrats you have done it.

Thankyou for reading my DIY, a wiring DIY is soon to follow.

1992 Accord EX Coupe
    My FS Thread
    Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

Wow thats super I never thought of doing that .great diy bro

Comment

Originally posted by wagonkid View Post
        Wow thats super I never thought of doing that .great diy bro
        thanks, after i did this i thought mabye you wouldnt have to buy a specific version like coupe or sedan, you might be able to just buy either, and jsut use the base off the car you have

1992 Accord EX Coupe
        My FS Thread

Comment

great job!! i was lucky enough to get the same color jdm mirrors as my car, so all i had to do was to install the wiring and switch out the jdm passenger mirror with the usdm one

Comment

Originally posted by h22anow View Post
            great job!! i was lucky enough to get the same color jdm mirrors as my car, so all i had to do was to install the wiring and switch out the jdm passenger mirror with the usdm one
            no the jdm mirrors came black and i put the jdm internals in my usdm dousing, thats what this DIY was made for to show you how to do that

1992 Accord EX Coupe
            My FS Thread

Comment

my mirrors came in charcoal grey color and dont feel like painting mine so in going to try working on mine tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by wagonkid View Post
                my mirrors came in charcoal grey color and dont feel like painting mine so in going to try working on mine tuesday.
                sweet GL, the hardest part imo was de-pinning the pins in the connector lol

1992 Accord EX Coupe
                My FS Thread

Comment

Anyway to retain the USDM glass/mirrors?
                  wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                    Anyway to retain the USDM glass/mirrors?
                    no that i know of yet the holder for the usdm glass is thicker then the jdm ones, but i think the adjustment motor will fit fine, mabye if you had a glass pro install just the usdm mirror on the jdm holder hmmm they probably could do that

1992 Accord EX Coupe
                    My FS Thread

Comment

good job mike.

this should help out the others in a very BIG way

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
                      Honda Accord Euro-R
                      Honda Odyssey Absolute
                      Honda City I-DSi
                      Honda Stream

Comment

just wanting to point out that with this DIY us coupe guys can use sedan PFMs just by changing out the mounting plate
                        "you can catch me swoopin 4G coupin switchin lanes" haha haha.

1993 SE coupe drag car ahoy!

1992 EX coupe 5 spd **sold **

1991 LX sedan 5 spd **tore the tranny apart**
                        sold to: jakfrostwhite,F22Cb7Rid3r, and many others
                        Did work for: jhoff_cb7
                        Traded with: 1990AccordEX,pr3pg4lyfe

Comment

nice write up! would this work if i were to get my hands on CD PFMs? or only CBs?
                          " The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred " - Soichiro Honda

Comment

Originally posted by JDMCB3Si View Post
                            just wanting to point out that with this DIY us coupe guys can use sedan PFMs just by changing out the mounting plate
                            sweet thats for confirming that

Originally posted by AlmightyAccord View Post
                            nice write up! would this work if i were to get my hands on CD PFMs? or only CBs?
                            i dont see why it wouldnt

1992 Accord EX Coupe
                            My FS Thread

Comment

I did the conversion today and it worked everything came together well no prob.

Comment

Working...
                              X