Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Tinting FAQ'S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tinting FAQ'S

This thread is to clear up all the confusion on the tinting of automobile windows.

What types of automotive tint is available?

There are basically two types of automotive window tint available today: Dyed and high performance metallized.
    Dyed
    or Non-Reflective Automotive tint are just that, dyed polyester with an adhesive and scratch coating on them.
    Metallized
    or High Performance Automotive tint have a layer of metal over top of the dyed polyester. This construction allows the tint to last longer, as the metal coating helps to better protect the tint and subsequently your vehicle and passengers, from damaging sun rays.

What is the life span of window tint?

The effective life span of window tint depends on the types of film, glass, and climate. There are documented cases of film lasting 12 to 22 years or more in some instances. This should not, however, be assumed to be the normal expected life of Automotive Window tints

What do most professionals recommend?

Professionals recommend the Metallized Automotive Window tints because they offer extra protection for both you and the product. The extra protection means the film will last longer and stand up to the damaging sun’s rays longer.

Whats the darkest tint for my car? Or what percents do they offer?

Automotive tints are available in four main shades or approximate light transmissions: 50%, 35%, 20% and 5%. These numbers correspond to how much light the film allows in. 5% or “limo” tint is the darkest shade allowing only 5% of the light to pass into the vehicle.

Does window tint help cool my car when using A/C?

Adding automotive Window tints to your vehicle will help reduce heat gain into your driving compartment. This will subsequently help your air-conditioning unit from continuously pumping out cool air at a maximum setting. Therefore, once a comfort level is reached by your vehicle’s air-conditioning unit, maintaining that comfort level will not be as difficult.

Does tint help stop the fading of my interior?

No window tint can stop fading, but it will reduce the how fast it fades by stopping most of the damaging UV rays that fade your interior.

Will window tint make it difficult for me to see at night?

Depending on what your personal preference is, and what percentage tint you apply, your visibility will be reduced in varying degrees. It is not recommended that one put the darkest percentage window tint on the rear windows of your vehicle if you engage in a lot of night driving. However, darker tints help cut the glare of headlights approaching from behind.

How do i choose how dark of tint i want?

Well, that pretty much filters down to your own preference on how dark you want your windows, and what the lowest percent your state allows is.

For those who are not sure what there state regulations are i have provided a link to a site where you can click your state and find your tinting laws.
    http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

Now that i have learned about tinting and i have chosen my tint. How do i go about installing this?

I and most people will recommend having your window tint professionally installed. For two main reasons 1) you know it will be done right and 2) Because some places offer warranties on there tint/work.
    But if your a do-it-yourselfer like alot of us tuners are, and you want to do this yourself i have provided several links and a video on DIY tinting.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_11194_tint-windows.html
    http://www.doityourself.com/stry/tinting-windows

Well i have had window tint for awhile now and want to remove it. any suggestion?

Here is a short video on how to remove the tint and avoid the stickyness on the window

I have heard during an accident tint reduces window shatter?

That is in fact true. Applied on glass can prevent flying glass splinters in the event of accidental breakage. However it does not reduce the chance of glass panes breakage

When i go to a shop, what are some questions i should ask the tech?

There are a few question that you should ask before you make your decision Those are,
    1. How many cars do you tint? How long will it take?
    2. Can I see examples of your work?
    3. What are the local laws?
    4. What is the guarantee?
    5. What brand and type tinting does the price include? (Make sure you understand the warranty for the type of film quoted.)
    6. How do you finish the top edge of roll down windows? Is there a gap, or no gap?
    7. Will the rear window be installed in one piece?

How should i clean my tinted windows?

Just clean your windows like you regularly would. Just DO NOT use ammonia based cleaners such as windex. There are various other window cleaner that are ammonia free. The reason for not using ammonia cleaners is because it will eat your tint and ruin it.

I would like to see example of tints, do you have any?

With alittle searching i have found various tint %'s on windows to show you

50%
    http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/phot...58847_8363.jpg
    35%
    http://www.vhoist.com/uploaded_image...00023_full.jpg
    20%
    http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/files/472/edited.JPG
    5%
    http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/42...600x600Q85.jpg
    Last edited by buckysaccord93; 11-30-2009, 02:36 PM.
    You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
    Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

Nice, dealt with tint before not my cup of tea so i had it professionally installed on our other vehicle, this wants me to go back and try it for myself on a spare door or something. This would help the novices who are new to window tinting. i vote sticky.

Turbo Setup: 100%

Comment

Just got mine tinted couple weeks ago! It makings driving at night so much easier since lights of those gigantic SUV's arent glaring into my eyes hahah
      Originally posted by Quashish
      Holy crap thats a clean F series. jellish mang.
      Quashish dictionary
      Jellish: (adjective) Jel-%i'sh+#
      To envy something to point of almost blowing a load involuntarily.

Comment

yeh i have yet to tint my windows but i want to so i made sure i fully researched and answered questions that everyone asks lol. i have tinted windows before just not my cbs yet
        You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
        Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

Comment

tinted my coupe 5% back and 20% driver and passenger side windows
          looks not to bad, not to mention being able to see in is a challenge,,i love it because you dont have creepers lookin in your shit
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=167601 Click to see my new ride

Comment

sticky?

Purchased from: 90-JDMCB7, cb95spd, 92_dr_p, ukaccord92, slammed4thgen, 93a-lude, h22anow, cb7addicted, H22WAGON93, tonymontana1204, agol, Joshy

Sold to: di2accord

Comment

Updated. Added removal of the tint

Comment

huh i thought a bit more people would find this useful. well i geuss it gives me more time to perfect it i geuss

Comment

Tinting is a pain in the ass.
                  wat?

Comment

i predict that the number of "i got pulled over n got sum bs tint ticket " threads to increase significantly in the near future.

Comment

^^^that's why i'm staying untinted

Comment

Llumar has a new Ceramic film now which is better than the metallic. the ceramic also wont mess up cellphone or radio reception. - imma tinter

Comment

I wonder why you need to reapply the tint to remove it. Does it absorb or break down the sticky residue?

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

well if you spray and then re put on the tint it help remove the stickyness that may have been left on

Comment

guy who did my tints mentioned that spraying/cleaning the tints with something ammonia-based causes that terrible purple look. he said only use water...
                              thought id throw that in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X