Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Lights Keep Blowing Fuses

Sup guys.

A while ago, I installed my LEDs in my new car but for some reason, it keeps blowing the fuse for the interior lighting. This is now the second time in two days. My old car didnt have this issue at all. I ran those LEDs on my other car for a long time with no issues.

What could be causing this?

Thanks guys
    Wrecked, Revived, and still Rollin'

Check out my MRT!

Originally posted by deevergote
    The most unique "modification" these days is a full restoration. Take a 20+ year old Honda and make it look brand new... and it'll be more impressive than the guy with the stock-block turbo and plastidipped steelies.

Originally posted by High5er View Post
    Sup guys.

A while ago, I installed my LEDs in my new car but for some reason, it keeps blowing the fuse for the interior lighting. This is now the second time in two days. My old car didnt have this issue at all. I ran those LEDs on my other car for a long time with no issues.

What could be causing this?

Thanks guys
    Did all of the oem bulbs work before the swap? The oem ones ever blow fuses?

RIP my last two CB7s.
    New rides:
    '82 Volvo 245 drift project
    '87 Volvo 244 daily
    Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Originally posted by TheFunk View Post
      Did all of the oem bulbs work before the swap? The oem ones ever blow fuses?
      The OEM bulbs worked fine. Thats why Im confused. Arent these supposed to draw less?

Also, just out of curiosity, are you a funky ball of tits from outerspace? lol

Check out my MRT!

The most unique "modification" these days is a full restoration. Take a 20+ year old Honda and make it look brand new... and it'll be more impressive than the guy with the stock-block turbo and plastidipped steelies.

Comment

The OEM bulbs worked fine. Thats why Im confused. Arent these supposed to draw less?
        Interesting. Yes, they should draw less power. If you can't get the same result with the OEM bulbs then those bulbs could be defective. LEDs seem get weird when they have a short or burn out.

Also, just out of curiosity, are you a funky ball of tits from outerspace? lol
        I am not just any funky ball of tits from outer space, I am THE funky ball of tits from outer space.

RIP my last two CB7s.
        New rides:
        '87 Volvo 244 daily
        Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

some brands of LED's arent polarized and some are. It might be tedious but you might have to check and see whats + & - on the harness and then double check whats + & - on the bulb's and rotate them to the correct polarity.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
            some brands of LED's arent polarized and some are. It might be tedious but you might have to check and see whats + & - on the harness and then double check whats + & - on the bulb's and rotate them to the correct polarity.
            Im sorry im not up to speed with the electrical lingo, but Im assuming youre talking about how they only work one way?

I feel like it has to do with my Dome light. The switch on that thing is broken as hell. I popped another today so Im going to swap the dome lights. After that, its on to trial and error with the courtesy lights.

Thanks!

Check out my MRT!

Comment

Probably worth adding just in case that you need to use the correct fuse for the application. Not a 10 amp in place of a 15 or vise-versa.

RIP my last two CB7s.
              New rides:
              '87 Volvo 244 daily
              Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Originally posted by TheFunk View Post
                Probably worth adding just in case that you need to use the correct fuse for the application. Not a 10 amp in place of a 15 or vise-versa.
                Yeah it calls for a 15A fuse and Ive gone through three. Ive already replaced my dome light assembly, and Im going to check my courtesy lights today.

Check out my MRT!

Comment

The leds are usually polorized but wont cause the fuse to blowm. It just wont turn on. You can tell its not an issue fause it works for a while so its not a polarity issue.

Imo I believe that its the leds itself...cheap quality and internally they short out. Especially since with your oems you were fine.
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
                    The leds are usually polorized but wont cause the fuse to blowm. It just wont turn on. You can tell its not an issue fause it works for a while so its not a polarity issue.

Imo I believe that its the leds itself...cheap quality and internally they short out. Especially since with your oems you were fine.
                    Well the same LEDs were used in my other CB and they worked fine. Also, I picked up these LEDs from Gluxlite. I don't think they're cheap. At least I'd hope not.

At this point, the dome light has been replaced, all lights tested, and the fuse is popping right when I put it in. No lights are on, but the damn fuse pops right when it touches. This is so irritating. I have little to no electrical experience.

Check out my MRT!

Comment

Gluxlite is just cheap stuff sold at an expensive price. Just know what youre buying.

No lights are on because the fuse is out? Or is the car running or lights on when you put the new fuse in?
                      Try putting in regular bulbs and put in the fuse see if it still blows. If it does you know its not the bulbs. Its the wiring.
                      Last edited by Quashish; 03-29-2014, 10:14 AM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
                      It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Take out the dome then put a fuse in. If it doesnt blow the put the dome light in. If it blows then its your led.

If it did blow with ni dome light you may have to do a process of eliminatiin on everything in that circuit.
                        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by Quashish View Post
                          Gluxlite is just cheap stuff sold at an expensive price. Just know what youre buying.

No lights are on because the fuse is out? Or is the car running or lights on when you put the new fuse in?
                          Try putting in regular bulbs and put in the fuse see if it still blows. If it does you know its not the bulbs. Its the wiring.
                          Yeah Im going to try and see if the incandescent lights make a difference.

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
                          Take out the dome then put a fuse in. If it doesnt blow the put the dome light in. If it blows then its your led.

If it did blow with ni dome light you may have to do a process of eliminatiin on everything in that circuit.
                          That's pretty much what I'm going to have to do
                          This point. It's raining bad today so I gotta try it if it clears up.

Thanks for the help guys!

Check out my MRT!

Comment

Working...
                          X