Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at a newer car

So I'm looking at getting a newer car.

I'm looking at a 2011 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C300 4MATIC.

Also looking at a 2009 Infinity G37 AWD.

Benz has 108k. Infinity has 112k.

Both auto. Both are the same price give or take. 10k.

I don't know much about newer cars. But I like them both. I really like the Benz but just don't know if there is anything I'm unaware of with them. Any opinions or info is appreciated.

I like that year Benz. I was considering buying the one with the v8 just to experience it. I see a LOT of them here, so I'm guessing they are solid cars.

The G37 is has more power, never driven either. That wasn't very helpful lol

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Ever check out www.carcomplains.com ?

Comment

Shhhhhh don't tell anyone, I got a new car myself! For the first time in well over 10 years I have something that isn't a CB7, or even a Honda. I noticed I have liked this quite a bit. I still have both my CB's but they are getting quite long in the tooth to own and drive everyday.
        The CB7 Collector.
        Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
        92 LX Coupe F22A1
        2013 Toyota Corolla S
        92 EX Sedan F22A1
        Originally posted by deevergote
        Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
          I like that year Benz. I was considering buying the one with the v8 just to experience it. I see a LOT of them here, so I'm guessing they are solid cars.

The G37 is has more power, never driven either. That wasn't very helpful lol
          I see a lot here too. The V8 would be pretty awesome. Maybe I'll see what the price difference is.

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
          Ever check out www.carcomplains.com ?
          Nope. Barely have time to check in on this thread. 75+ hours a week at work. No time for anything other than this forum where I actually know the individuals giving the advice.

Originally posted by HappyGilmore View Post
          Shhhhhh don't tell anyone, I got a new car myself! For the first time in well over 10 years I have something that isn't a CB7, or even a Honda. I noticed I have liked this quite a bit. I still have both my CB's but they are getting quite long in the tooth to own and drive everyday.
          I'm taking both of mine and parking them until later in life when I hopefully have time to do something with them.

Comment

I got a 2014 MB C250 last year and I absolutely love it. It's not the V6 that you are looking at, but for a 1.8L it's got some pep. Turbo helps a lot. I had to get something with more power than my H22 CB, so 200HP was bare minimum and the C250 has 201HP and 238 ft/lbs. Maintenance is more expensive (mine is still under factory warranty so I'm taking it to the dealer for scheduled maintenance), but I wanted reliability.

The 2014 is basically the same as the 2011, they did a facelift in 2012, so if you can go a year newer you'll get the updated look.

I have heard of issues with the transfer case in the 4Matics, so you might want to look into that...
            Originally posted by Junior Smurff
            Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

Many MB products require specialized tools. The transmissions are apparently particularly locked down. In terms of a car being easier to work on, the Infiniti would probably be the better choice. I’ve been considering an Infiniti M35h myself... though I won’t deny that I’ve browsed some gently used Mercedes Benz models...

I’d say both are probably comparable in terms of prestige, luxury, and dynamics (the Infiniti may be a bit sportier). Both are also at the point where things are going to start to break. See what the common things are, and if you’re willing to fix them.

And, most importantly... drive both and buy what puts the biggest smile on your face!

Comment

Typically comparing a German automobile to a Japanese one, you're going to pay more in the long run for the engineering - yes, the engineering. Although both cultures are great at their engineering practices and approaching similar problems differently, the Japanese are much more simple in practice to keep cost down and reliability up. Both cultures can engineer a car to last 1,000,000+ miles with limited problems, but, and I repeat, but the Japanese are going to be more financially efficicent in the long run for the consumer.

This is the way I look at it, and it's solely the opinion of Straight Success:

Japanese car companies keep it simply simple.
                The Germans make it simply complex.

You can get a great ride built with a high factor of safety from either. Depending on model, the fun factor will fluctuate drastically. Pick your poison.

Nevertheless, both are great.
                Last edited by Straight Success; 09-10-2018, 03:41 PM.
                The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Another thing to consider is that the G37 has nothing but the M above it in infiniti’s lineup. The C Class has MANY models above it. For MB, the C Class may be a volume seller. For Infiniti, the G37 is intended to impress.
                  That’s just speculation based solely on opinion. MB may put every ounce of effort into the design and construction of a C Class as they do an S Class. Though today’s CLA suggests otherwise. That being the low-end Benz now, I’ve read many gripes about a pack of refinement.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!

I drove the G37, they seem to be a very nice car. Comfortable and I liked the way it was laid out.

I like the look of the Benz more but I don't like how it drives. Could be I'm just not used to the way a luxury car drives. Making a decision on it tomorrow.

Likely going to drive the G37 again. It's black in color. Overall I liked it. Over the Benz surprisingly.

Comment

I would imagine the Benz drives really quietly and isolated. Not much involvement. Kind of
                      the "meh, it's nice" feeling.

How close am I?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Ive never driven either car, and I’ve only gotten a good look at a friend’s G37 once... I was impressed.
                        I do feel that the C Class probably doesn’t deliver the true Mercedes Benz experience like an E Class or S Class likely would.

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                          I would imagine the Benz drives really quietly and isolated. Not much involvement. Kind of
                          the "meh, it's nice" feeling.

How close am I?
                          Your right and it might have been my expectations that left me with that feeling.

It's a great driving car. Operates very well. It's just not what I expected. And as the driver you don't feel very connected... like your along for the ride and everything is kind of automated. Or that's how I felt anyhow.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          Ive never driven either car, and I’ve only gotten a good look at a friend’s G37 once... I was impressed.
                          I do feel that the C Class probably doesn’t deliver the true Mercedes Benz experience like an E Class or S Class likely would.
                          I think you are spot about with the C Class after further reading. I'm not a German auto manufacturer junkie so I really don't know much but yeah, the C Class was what I got when I probably had S Class expectations. A Benz isn't a Benz apparently. And I understand, I'm not bummed or anything. You pay 10k for a Benz and your going to get a 10k Benz. I'm cool with that. Not to be redundant but I thought a Benz was a Benz. But now I know that C Class, E Class, S Class and so forth really has a lot of meaning.

As for the G37 I was really impressed. It exceeded my expectations. It's quite peppy. Even with the numbers taken in account it moves quite well. My favorite thing is the quality feel to the interior components. How the buttons feel when operated and how the lay out is. It's intelligently designed. Not that the Benz isn't it's just that the C Class is more economically inspired compared to the G37. The only thing that I see which classifies each car equally is the price. But you get more for a 10k Infinity then you do a 10k Benz. I just had to learn that.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                            Your right and it might have been my expectations that left me with that feeling.

It's a great driving car. Operates very well. It's just not what I expected. And as the driver you don't feel very connected... like your along for the ride and everything is kind of automated. Or that's how I felt anyhow.

I think you are spot about with the C Class after further reading. I'm not a German auto manufacturer junkie so I really don't know much but yeah, the C Class was what I got when I probably had S Class expectations. A Benz isn't a Benz apparently. And I understand, I'm not bummed or anything. You pay 10k for a Benz and your going to get a 10k Benz. I'm cool with that. Not to be redundant but I thought a Benz was a Benz. But now I know that C Class, E Class, S Class and so forth really has a lot of meaning.

As for the G37 I was really impressed. It exceeded my expectations. It's quite peppy. Even with the numbers taken in account it moves quite well. My favorite thing is the quality feel to the interior components. How the buttons feel when operated and how the lay out is. It's intelligently designed. Not that the Benz isn't it's just that the C Class is more economically inspired compared to the G37. The only thing that I see which classifies each car equally is the price. But you get more for a 10k Infinity then you do a 10k Benz. I just had to learn that.
                            I recently rented a beautiful white 2015 C300 with the AMG Sport package.

It was a somewhat underwhelming experience. Perhaps my expectations were too high or the floor has been raised substantially in terms of quality or refinement, but the Mercedes lacked the verve I was hoping for in a $50k car.

The ride was harsh, but the chassis was not confidence inspiring. There was no feel in the steering wheel, but it was too heavy.

It was very efficient and really torquey. The transmission was first-class.

Seats were too firm, though.

For comparison, I rented a 2017 Jetta with the 1.4turbo engine a few weeks after and walked away much more impressed than the C300.
                            14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

VW for the money I feel is more car per dollar for sure. Audi has a better AWD system than Benz(imho of course), looks better(again my opinion), and the Benz is the same price for a 2012ish A4 Quattro if we’re talking German.

Honestly I think you need a 1990 e190 evoII. When I think Benz I think evoII .

That being said - I work on newer Mercedes almost every other day, and it’s not too difficult taking them apart and whatnot. A car is a car, man. It’s just the price of the brand at that point. I feel you can’t really go wrong with either of the two you’re looking at. Which ever puts more smiles per gallon on your face is the winner.

If you want TSB’s or anything on either car let me know. I have access to ALLDATA and ProDemand.

Comment

Working...
                              X