CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #1
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 326
G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends! G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends!
P12 Ecu

I have seen threads about installing the P12 ECU from the Honda Prelude. I think I may buy one off of ebay but, I am curious.
Is the P12 "plug & play"?
Will it affect my idle because it is from a different vehicle?
Seems like it would be self-explanatory but, I am just trying to double check.


Thanks.
G. Wiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:25 PM   #2
oni_cb7
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ca
Posts: 486
oni_cb7 is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Wiffington View Post
I have seen threads about installing the P12 ECU from the Honda Prelude. I think I may buy one off of ebay but, I am curious.
Is the P12 "plug & play"?
Will it affect my idle because it is from a different vehicle?
Seems like it would be self-explanatory but, I am just trying to double check.


Thanks.
It is "plug and play"

If you have a bone-stock f22a1, then the ECU will help.

Any gains are negligible for the f22a4.

This ECU will not run an f22a6 correctly.

I hope that helps.
oni_cb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #3
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 326
G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends! G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oni_cb7 View Post
It is "plug and play"

If you have a bone-stock f22a1, then the ECU will help.

Any gains are negligible for the f22a4.

This ECU will not run an f22a6 correctly.

I hope that helps.
Thank you sir. Yeah, I have a F22a4 so I guess it won't do much.
G. Wiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
Rilas
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 507
Rilas seems to have made some friends!
It will help out the A4 a little bit. It already has a higher hp rating due to the exhaust manifold. I don't recall what the manifold off the prelude looks like. If it's the same style as the A4 the benefits will be there. If it's the same style as the A1 4-1 then the gains won't be as much but there will still be some gains.
Rilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:47 PM   #5
oni_cb7
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ca
Posts: 486
oni_cb7 is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilas View Post
It will help out the A4 a little bit. It already has a higher hp rating due to the exhaust manifold. I don't recall what the manifold off the prelude looks like. If it's the same style as the A4 the benefits will be there. If it's the same style as the A1 4-1 then the gains won't be as much but there will still be some gains.
Prelude f22a1:



Accord f22a4:
oni_cb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:52 PM   #6
deevergote
Don't call me dude.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not New York
Posts: 40,113
deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
The F22A4 is identical to the F22A1 aside from the exhaust manifold. Because of the tubular manifold, the F22A4 makes 5hp more than the F22A1. It is POSSIBLE that the P12 may result in a 10hp gain over the F22A4's 130hp. The F22A4 and F22A1 both use the same PT3 ECU, so it's a reasonable assumption that the P12 would give a similar gain. It hasn't been proven either way, however. It would require a few dyno pulls with a few different F22A1 and F22A4 engines to really see what the difference would be (the reason for multiple versions of each is that 25+ years can result in drastically different performance for a single engine.)
__________________






deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 326
G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends! G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends!
Thanks for the inputs, also the pictures for references. I think i'm gonna take a look for the P12, wouldn't hurt to try out. Hopefully I can find one in a local JY around me.
Yeah my exhaust manifold is a 4-2-1 aftermarket so hopefully that is a good combo.
G. Wiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:44 AM   #8
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 326
G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends! G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
The F22A4 is identical to the F22A1 aside from the exhaust manifold. Because of the tubular manifold, the F22A4 makes 5hp more than the F22A1. It is POSSIBLE that the P12 may result in a 10hp gain over the F22A4's 130hp. The F22A4 and F22A1 both use the same PT3 ECU, so it's a reasonable assumption that the P12 would give a similar gain. It hasn't been proven either way, however. It would require a few dyno pulls with a few different F22A1 and F22A4 engines to really see what the difference would be (the reason for multiple versions of each is that 25+ years can result in drastically different performance for a single engine.)

Always with the good info, thanks man.
G. Wiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #9
deevergote
Don't call me dude.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not New York
Posts: 40,113
deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
No problem.
Honestly, it's worth a try. It won't hurt anything either way, so if you can get the P12 for a good price, I say go for it.
__________________






deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #10
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 326
G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends! G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
No problem.
Honestly, it's worth a try. It won't hurt anything either way, so if you can get the P12 for a good price, I say go for it.
Yeah man I think I will look for one. Thanks man.
G. Wiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:37 AM   #11
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 326
G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends! G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends!
Just ordered a P12 today for my F22a4 from ebay..pretty good deal for only $56.95 haha. I ordered from a company called Flag Ship One Inc., & all I see is excellent reviews. Lifetime warranty as well so we'll see what happens!
G. Wiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #12
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 326
G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends! G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends!
So, I finally put in the P12 & I really do think there is an added difference in the torque. Feels a little more "peppy". 2nd gear is pretty fun & strong lol. Also, in 5th Gear I feel more power.

All the connectors matched up perfectly. I had no trouble starting my car & there were NO CEL CODES after installing the P12.

Only issue that I ran into was the fact that the P12 did not bolt up exactly like the stock ECU. I know it isn't the "best" way to mount the ECU but I zip-tied it down a bunch of times & made sure it would not move around. It's fine with me because it's under the carpet so you can't see it.

So, my opinion is..if you have an F22a4 & want to try the P12, do it! I feel more power for sure.
G. Wiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:07 PM   #13
deevergote
Don't call me dude.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not New York
Posts: 40,113
deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Yeah, the Prelude ECUs are shaped a bit differently. After doing my H22A swap, I never even bothered to bolt down my P13. They contain no moving parts, so they don't have to be 100% secure! Zip ties are just fine.

Did you test your gas mileage before the swap? I'm curious to see if the P12 gives better or worse gas mileage over the PT3.
__________________






deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:27 PM   #14
G. Wiffington
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 326
G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends! G. Wiffington seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Yeah, the Prelude ECUs are shaped a bit differently. After doing my H22A swap, I never even bothered to bolt down my P13. They contain no moving parts, so they don't have to be 100% secure! Zip ties are just fine.

Did you test your gas mileage before the swap? I'm curious to see if the P12 gives better or worse gas mileage over the PT3.
Haha yeah good ole zip ties come in hand sometimes.

No I did not configure my gas mileage before the swap. Honestly I see no difference between the gas mileages by just kinda estimating in my head. Maybe I need to do a little more driving but I do not see much difference. I also drive normally, not speeding around so I do not see my gas disappearing rapidly compared to before the swap.
But check this out!!!
Come to find out when I pulled the original ECU it was a PT6! Now, if I am correct, the PT6 is for the A6 motor right?? I was really confused when I pulled it out.
G. Wiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ecu , p12 , prelude

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.