Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Does anyone know of a low profile mechanical (non-hydraulic) jack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know of a low profile mechanical (non-hydraulic) jack?

I'm sick of hydraulic jacks. I've had cheap ones, I've had decent ones... all end up leaking and sagging after a fairly short time. Plus, they're freakin' heavy!

Years ago, a neighbor of a friend in Florida let me borrow a low profile mechanical jack. A crank jack like the one our car comes with, only flat like a hydraulic floor jack... but super thin, and half the weight of the hydraulic ones.

I didn't take note of the brand, and my friend has since moved far away from the guy... I've looked on Google, and through all the jack threads I could find on here (all seem to talk only of hydraulics), and I've had no luck.

I know you said you don't want a hydraulic jack but the one I'm using from Harbor Freight right now has been pretty nice. It's a low-profile aluminum floor jack and is MUCH lighter than a comparable steel one. My car is lowered 2" and it fits underneath just fine.

As for the mechanical one you're describing, I have never seen something like that. Did it seem to be one that came with a certain car?
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

No, it was definitely an aftermarket "performance" jack.

I was just in Harbor Freight a couple hours ago... all their jacks were no better shaped or sized than my old Craftsman (that started leaking after a year... and I took care of it!)

Comment

I've been using an ARCAN branded one from northern tools for a couple years now, Its the steel model with no issues with leaks whatsoever.

Maybe you should look into a better hydraulic jack rather than a mechanical one.

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747 View Post
          I've been using an ARCAN branded one from northern tools for a couple years now, Its the steel model with no issues with leaks whatsoever.

Maybe you should look into a better hydraulic jack rather than a mechanical one.
          I have the same jack. Mine was a display model. I've had it for about 1.5 years, and I use it mostly for lifting trucks and it's always been great, no issues, no fluid leaks. It's a great jack, has a nice easy (gradual) release.
          Originally posted by sweet91accord
          if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

haha. I'm going through the same phase right now. I let my girlfriend's dad use my jack and when I went to use it yesterday, it sagged alot. I might invest in a low profile jack. I used my buddy's jack a few times and that thing is pretty low. It is bulky but as long as it lasts long and does the job, I'll be happy

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
            My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
            Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
              I know you said you don't want a hydraulic jack but the one I'm using from Harbor Freight right now has been pretty nice. It's a low-profile aluminum floor jack and is MUCH lighter than a comparable steel one. My car is lowered 2" and it fits underneath just fine.

As for the mechanical one you're describing, I have never seen something like that. Did it seem to be one that came with a certain car?
              agreed, used mine in dirt a few times and it has held up like no other
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

look up -low profile SCISSOR jack. i've seen these fail quite a few time also tho. i used one the other day to lift my car in the front middle, got half way up and got really hard to turn so i tried going down and it was even harder, and that was oem. it's screwed now, i went with a racing jack from harbor freight, 2 1/2 ton.
                ARCAN makes excellent professional jacks like the XL35
                Last edited by STREET-SPEC; 05-07-2012, 08:35 PM.

Comment

something like this?:

military scissor jack

http://store.colemans.com/cart/scissor-jack-p-1666.html

Comment

That's not much different from the stock jack!

I think the one I used before had a design similar to the ones used by VW. It wasn't a scissor design, but more like a hydraulic jack... only it cranked up like the stock one. The great part was that the crank fit securely on there, and it was easy to twist without bashing your knuckles on the ground (the main reason I want to find something other than the OEM scissor design... that's what I use now, and I have scarred knuckles to prove it!)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      That's not much different from the stock jack!

I think the one I used before had a design similar to the ones used by VW. It wasn't a scissor design, but more like a hydraulic jack... only it cranked up like the stock one. The great part was that the crank fit securely on there, and it was easy to twist without bashing your knuckles on the ground (the main reason I want to find something other than the OEM scissor design... that's what I use now, and I have scarred knuckles to prove it!)
                      ooh yeah that does suck, when I went out on tire calls for an auto I had a scissor jack in the service truck (no point lugging out the 20ton bottles for a car that it wouldnt fit under anyway) and used a socket and impact gun to screw it

i saw a picture of an OEM toyota scissor jack they look to condense more then what you normally see with other makes

Comment

Working...
                      X