Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do any of the veteran members remember...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do any of the veteran members remember...

I haven't seen one person make mention of balance shaft seal retainers on here in a long time. I remember it used to be a huge deal on here to remind anyone who had already past 100K miles to make sure their timing job included one. There were posts all over the place explaining the catastrophic failures due to oil loss that would occur if that seal came out. I guess as time went on these Accords had them done and it's less of an issue to have to tell people anymore. I just thought of this because I am rebuilding my engine with a donor I got from SmokinSpeeds on here and it didn't have one.

In case anyone is wondering, the factory balance shaft seal does not have a device that keeps it in place. After age they were prone to start walking and a few popped out. Oil would instantly gush out and if you didn't quickly shut off the car then the lack of oil would do it for you. Honda started making these retainer plates that used two bolts to partially cover the seal. It was very strongly recommended you perform this at your next timing job. And everyone stressed that if you didn't know if it was there or not then your next timing job was tomorrow.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
    I haven't seen one person make mention of balance shaft seal retainers on here in a long time. I remember it used to be a huge deal on here to remind anyone who had already past 100K miles to make sure their timing job included one. There were posts all over the place explaining the catastrophic failures due to oil loss that would occur if that seal came out. I guess as time went on these Accords had them done and it's less of an issue to have to tell people anymore. I just thought of this because I am rebuilding my engine with a donor I got from SmokinSpeeds on here and it didn't have one.

In case anyone is wondering, the factory balance shaft seal does not have a device that keeps it in place. After age they were prone to start walking and a few popped out. Oil would instantly gush out and if you didn't quickly shut off the car then the lack of oil would do it for you. Honda started making these retainer plates that used two bolts to partially cover the seal. It was very strongly recommended you perform this at your next timing job. And everyone stressed that if you didn't know if it was there or not then your next timing job was tomorrow.
    The block that I just used in my A6 build/swap did not have the retainer, but my old A1did, just swapped it over.
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Maybe because they're aren't that many threads regarding timing belts?
      MRT
      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
      Originally posted by Tippey764
      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
      Originally posted by deevergote
      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I remember.

But they don't make the car faster or lower so most people don't care.
        wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
          I remember.

But they don't make the car faster or lower so most people don't care.
          #TheSickestTruth

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
          Originally posted by Jarrett
          Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

In a purely philosophical sense it does have some measureable weight and therefore would act upon the springs moreso than the absence of one. So technically it does lower the car.

If that doesn't work then I can start selling "JDM balance shaft seal retainers". I'll just tint them yellow or something.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Oh you don't need to perform a timing belt job to install a retainer, they just slip into place without removing the timing cover. I believe the part comes with instructions on how to perform this procedure.
              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

^^^ lol yup.

OP, thanks for the reminder though. gotta recommend it at work when old F/H cars come in.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                  Oh you don't need to perform a timing belt job to install a retainer, they just slip into place without removing the timing cover. I believe the part comes with instructions on how to perform this procedure.
                  You definitely have to remove the lower timing cover. It installs using two of the oil pump housing bolts closets to the front balance shaft seal.

Comment

You definitely have to remove the lower timing cover. It installs using two of the oil pump housing bolts closets to the front balance shaft seal.
                    There were 2 designs, The plate with the 2 holes are the first design, The second design uses only 1 bolt to hold it in place, And that bolt is on the outside of the timing cover.

Comment

Didn't know that. Did the second design do anything to help with timing cover flex? I went to the junkyard today to get a new one and looked at 17 different cars before I found one that just had a little groove. That quality of this car is annoying.

Comment

Didn't know that. Did the second design do anything to help with timing cover flex? I went to the junkyard today to get a new one and looked at 17 different cars before I found one that just had a little groove. That quality of this car is annoying.
                        I'm working on a CD5 right now and it has one of the one bolt retainers, I'll snap a pic tomorrow.

Comment

Awww memories......this was the first thread I subscribed to.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=16228
                          Last edited by Ralphie; 04-03-2012, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Here's that pic, doesn't look like it would do as good of a job holding compared to the 2 bolt version.

Comment

It really doesn't take a whole lot of "holding" to keep a seal from moving...
                              Originally posted by sweet91accord
                              if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X