• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 bogs and loses power

Alright guys riddle me this one.

Motor: h22a
    Tranny: m2b4
    Mods: Short ram intake, blacktrax spacer, hondata intake manifold gasket, Tri-y slip fit header, high flow cat, DC cat back.

The issue:

Car starts up fine but doesnt have the high idle with the slow drop that it used to. It fires up and revs to about 2k and drops instantly to about 300 and almost stalls. Then goes to about 1000 and hangs out around 750 when it calms down.

When I drive off easy on the throttle it seems to almost get stuck somewhere just under 2k rpms and I have to get on the gas more to get it "un stuck". I notice this through out every gear when I'm just cruising.

If I get on it hard sometimes to power is just gone. It will accelerate but it feels like Ive got 100 hp max.

Sometimes its fast as hell and it will scream all the way into VTEC and then around 6400 it feels like it gives up and the power is gone.

I know thats kind of a lot to take in but thats the best way to describe it. Any ideas?

Clutch and flywheel are all new so I dont think its slipping out of gear, it doesnt feel like that anyway.

I should add that I unplugged the O2 and drove around and it doesnt bog at low rpms but still falls on its ass up in VTEC. Could air be getting in or out of the slip fit and cause this, hence the reason it ran different with the o2 unplugged?

What ECU are you using?
    Originally posted by Junior Smurff
    Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

p13

Comment

ignition timing is spot on?

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I'll check it but i dont see why it would be off to begin with

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
            ignition timing is spot on?
            Check your dizzy(distributor)id spead it up a bit for fun, spark plugs and spark plug wires.

A buddy of mine had the same issue, after hours of argeous searching we found it was a broken spark plug wire internal. As we were pulling the wires a peice of the inside stayed on the spark plug LOL.
            Last edited by tutsuo; 08-09-2012, 02:40 PM.
            Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
            Originally posted by deevergote
            den das al u ned u no dat u get wurs gas milge tho rite?
            Originally posted by deevergote
            These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

Plug the o2 sensor back on and see if the boogs stops. Mine bogged but I just bought another o2 sensor "NTK" and the problem stopped. Hey I even got a good boost of MPG's Check the idle screw and mess with it... Those are the only two options that come into mind.
              Last edited by AeyJayCB7; 08-09-2012, 02:39 PM.
              MY MRT
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178936

Comment

Originally posted by tutsuo View Post
                Check your dizzy(distributor)id spead it up a bit for fun, spark plugs and spark plug wires.
                Dizzy hasnt moved. I dont want to make it "fun". Its already fun, when it runs right.

Ill try plugs and wires but I dont think thats the issue

Comment

Originally posted by AeyJayCB7 View Post
                  Plug the o2 sensor back on and see if the boogs stops. Mine bogged but I just bought another o2 sensor "NTK" and the problem stopped. Hey I even got a good boost of MPG's Check the idle screw and mess with it... Those are the only two options that come into mind.
                  With the o2 sensor plugged in it bogs. Plugging it back in is not going to magically make the issue disappear.

Idle screw? I doubt that has anything to do with it. It idles fine after a few seconds.

Comment

Just to be on the safe side double check ignition timing to be dead on as well condition of fuel filter and distributor rotor/cap/coil/ignitor. It is possible to have a faulty O2 sensor and or reading if you are getting fresh air through the slip joints are leaking.

Comment

do you have a spare ecu to test?

P13 have been known to go bad so dont rule that out.

Next would be a bad ignition coil
                      TPS sensor
                      Map sensor

Comment

Any check engine lights? Your o2 sensor tends to mess with the fuel too and timing but make sure you check your vacuum leaks and distributor to make sure that the orange soot isnt in the distributor cap because when that does happen its probably on the way out.

Comment

With the o2 sensor plugged in, it loses power because the sensor is failing. It doesn't always throw a code. Plug the o2 sensor in, and take it to about 55mph... I guarantee it will throw a code 43.

When you unplug the o2 sensor, it runs fine until it should cross over to VTEC... then it falls on its ass. Why? Because with no o2 sensor plugged in, the ECU is in limp mode. No VTEC.

Replace that o2 sensor with a new Denso or NTK/NGK unit, and it should work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            With the o2 sensor plugged in, it loses power because the sensor is failing. It doesn't always throw a code. Plug the o2 sensor in, and take it to about 55mph... I guarantee it will throw a code 43.

When you unplug the o2 sensor, it runs fine until it should cross over to VTEC... then it falls on its ass. Why? Because with no o2 sensor plugged in, the ECU is in limp mode. No VTEC.

Replace that o2 sensor with a new Denso or NTK/NGK unit, and it should work just fine.
                            Be lucky that you dont have to get a o2 sensor from the dealer. Most turbo cars like the SRT4's and evo's are very picky when it comes down to that and if it's generic instead of OEM you can just forget it so count yourself lucky.
                            Last edited by h22sparkle; 08-10-2012, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Denso and NGK/NTK ARE OEM.
                              Fortunately for us, places like RockAuto sell Denso for like $35.

old cars FTW.

Comment

Working...
                              X