CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > 4th Gen-eral > Off Topic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #1
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spring Tx
Posts: 449
Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
Vintage/Classic/Muscle car thread

Any owners of classic cars on here? Muscle cars or anything vintage? I have ALWAYS been a classic car guy with a fairly good luck on finding amazing deals at the worst possible financial moments. Cars that i had to skip out on in the past for lack of funds where; 74 Ford Gran Torino(2 owners $300), 72 Chevy Chevelle(questionable 454 swap $1500),67 Plymouth Barracuda (6 cylinder car $1700),72 Dodge Demon(unknown engine but title $300, 68 Dodge Coronet(More door 440 $300) and just last week a 65 Ford Fairlane 500 ($500 with a title). My Accord holds alot of memories that i do not want to let go of but its hard to fight off the bug everytime i fing one of this animals, i just pointed a co-worker in the direction of a very good condition 73 Olds Omega which is priced at 3k with a missing grille. I know most of us here are old timers now 30 plus so what do you guys got? what did you guys have?
__________________
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
deevergote
Don't call me dude.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not New York
Posts: 40,082
deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
When I was 19, I bought a 75 Grand Am. Never got to drive it, sadly, other than the time I drove it home. I knew nothing about cars at the time, so I don’t know what engine it had.

I bought it for $1000. Well, $500 up front, and $500 when the seller found the title. He never did. His house got foreclosed. He disappeared. A few months later, so did my car. And my $500. I was a naive kid.
__________________






deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
Grumpys93
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 2,722
Grumpys93 seems to have made some friends!
When I was a kid my dad owned a 1965 fastback. The only major thing wrong with it was the paint. We got into some financial issues and he had to sell it for $1000 to keep the lights n. I still remember the day he sold it to a neighbor who painted the car a candy purple and gave it to his 16 year old grand daughter for her birthday. Needless to say it was probably mistreated and totaled. My dream car is a 32 tri window coupe or a 57 bel air. I’ve been looking but I just don’t have time to do that kind of restoration nor do I have the funding.
__________________
~Nick~
FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93
Grumpys93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spring Tx
Posts: 449
Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
When I was 19, I bought a 75 Grand Am. Never got to drive it, sadly, other than the time I drove it home. I knew nothing about cars at the time, so I donít know what engine it had.

I bought it for $1000. Well, $500 up front, and $500 when the seller found the title. He never did. His house got foreclosed. He disappeared. A few months later, so did my car. And my $500. I was a naive kid.
Sorry to hear that man, those cars had the 400ci engine as the base powerplant withi believe the 455 as the top option. Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Buick are considerably pricier to fix than older Chevy models and parts are less common too which is why there are so many of those around with Chevy 350's in them. Titlying a car will be a bit harder in Texas now because the state finally got tired of folks getting titles for non running cars or shells so they are now requiring car has to have a motor and in some occasions safety inspection carried out before car title is issued. Now the title must be registered as the year the frame or shell was made depending on which is newer; meaning a 1952 shell on a 1996 S10 frame will be titled as a 1996.
__________________
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spring Tx
Posts: 449
Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpys93 View Post
When I was a kid my dad owned a 1965 fastback. The only major thing wrong with it was the paint. We got into some financial issues and he had to sell it for $1000 to keep the lights n. I still remember the day he sold it to a neighbor who painted the car a candy purple and gave it to his 16 year old grand daughter for her birthday. Needless to say it was probably mistreated and totaled. My dream car is a 32 tri window coupe or a 57 bel air. Iíve been looking but I just donít have time to do that kind of restoration nor do I have the funding.
65 Fastback what? You can buy the car and work on it slowly over time, money spent will be the same but you can generally fund it cutting back on weekly personal expenses such as beer or cigarretes if you have those tastes. Personally i found out that i was spending $3 a day on coffee which amounts to $780 dollars a year given i only consume during the week and not on weekends. A customer of mine has a 32 ford, black with a SBC on it running Hoosier slicks, those things are not as expensive to build since there is really no interior and you dont actually replace the panels.
__________________
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
wed3k
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 18,078
wed3k seems to have made some friends! wed3k seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to wed3k
my money pit, started with a 396 and th400, stripped it down to a bare body and now its sitting on a roadster shop chassis.
Building a 427 Dart LS solid roller with twin turbskies.

__________________
I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.
wed3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spring Tx
Posts: 449
Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
Quote:
Originally Posted by wed3k View Post
my money pit, started with a 396 and th400, stripped it down to a bare body and now its sitting on a roadster shop chassis.
Building a 427 Dart LS solid roller with twin turbskies.

Those 396 are damn good engines, i guess that is where all your those parts are going to huh? I will say that i would rather have a car turn into a money pit than for it to go thru my liver or lungs. I don't know if you have kids, but if you do im sure that they would rather remember you as the guy working on cars than smoking, drinking or even worse; i come from an alcoholic family so believe me when i tell you that.
__________________
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:32 PM   #8
Grumpys93
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 2,722
Grumpys93 seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
65 Fastback what? You can buy the car and work on it slowly over time, money spent will be the same but you can generally fund it cutting back on weekly personal expenses such as beer or cigarretes if you have those tastes. Personally i found out that i was spending $3 a day on coffee which amounts to $780 dollars a year given i only consume during the week and not on weekends. A customer of mine has a 32 ford, black with a SBC on it running Hoosier slicks, those things are not as expensive to build since there is really no interior and you dont actually replace the panels.
Mustang. The hardest part about the 32 Ford is finding a body in decent condition. The problem isnít cutting back on things like that. Itís convincing my wife. She is not into classic cars by any means. She doesnít care for the accord but she understands why I pour money into it.
__________________
~Nick~
FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93
Grumpys93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:46 PM   #9
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spring Tx
Posts: 449
Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpys93 View Post
Mustang. The hardest part about the 32 Ford is finding a body in decent condition. The problem isnít cutting back on things like that. Itís convincing my wife. She is not into classic cars by any means. She doesnít care for the accord but she understands why I pour money into it.
I dont smoke, I dont drink and I dont run around with women; would you rather have me here fooling around with my hobbies or out somewhere else. That is what i used to tell my parents as a teenager and my wife now that i am married. Humans need to have something they like doing to escape the world we live in, when you get involved in something you do; you shut out everything that is detrimental to your being for that time. I seriously believe that if people found a hobby that they were passionate about such as cars, we would not have all this nonsense we have now. God knows i got too much sh*t to do and not enough time or money to be thinking of doing anything foolish. Plus kids learn a positive image seeing the parents doing something productive and might even get involved, giving them some type of experience. My wife likes old cars, muscle cars specially; she wasn't like this but the camaro i had changed her mind.
__________________
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:54 PM   #10
fleetw00d
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Chester, Ohio
Posts: 2,532
fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
I bought a 1965 Cadillac DeVille convertible in 1982 for $600. Put it in a friend's basement garage to work on it; bought a second parts car for $300. Friend starts a fire working on his car - his car, my car, and his house all go up in smoke. Sold parts car. Bought 1963 Thunderbird convertible for $800; week later had to pass on a 1966 Cadillac DeVille convertible (should have sold the Tbird and bought this). Complete disassembly of the Tbird revealed it to be a basket case (I was naive). Bought 1969 Olds 98 (455 Rocket) from my father; eventually totaled it. Sold the Tbird in parts to a guy who hauled it all the way to Tulsa, OK. Wound up working on my dad's 1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham for him, but got bogged down with having children, then first wife's leukemia and passing, remarried, more kids. He eventually sent me the title and I hung on to it for a while, but couldn't justify the work/$ it needed, so it was sold. My current wife owned Ruby, so that's when I switched from "classics" to Accords. I would still like to have a big old convertible.
__________________
90 LX 4dr 5 spd 372,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
93 LX wagon auto 253,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=208490
92 EX coupe auto 170,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=205114
92 EX coupe auto 190,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210341

LOTS of CB7 parts for sale http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583 or watch for banner ad at upper right
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:08 AM   #11
toycar
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Old folks home
Posts: 1,150
toycar is very helpful toycar is very helpful toycar is very helpful
67 firebird, 455 HO swap

Its been in storage for almost 30 years. 38k on the clock. Inherrited from my pops. Car needs a thorough rebuild. No rust, but, as i mentioned has sat in non climate controlled midwest garage forever.

Some day when im ready, itll be fun.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by wed3k View Post
im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.
toycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #12
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spring Tx
Posts: 449
Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
Quote:
Originally Posted by toycar View Post
67 firebird, 455 HO swap

Its been in storage for almost 30 years. 38k on the clock. Inherrited from my pops. Car needs a thorough rebuild. No rust, but, as i mentioned has sat in non climate controlled midwest garage forever.

Some day when im ready, itll be fun.
That kind of reminds me of The Fast and Furious, all that torque is scary but once you give in to it you will never go back!
__________________
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:48 PM   #13
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spring Tx
Posts: 449
Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetw00d View Post
I bought a 1965 Cadillac DeVille convertible in 1982 for $600. Put it in a friend's basement garage to work on it; bought a second parts car for $300. Friend starts a fire working on his car - his car, my car, and his house all go up in smoke. Sold parts car. Bought 1963 Thunderbird convertible for $800; week later had to pass on a 1966 Cadillac DeVille convertible (should have sold the Tbird and bought this). Complete disassembly of the Tbird revealed it to be a basket case (I was naive). Bought 1969 Olds 98 (455 Rocket) from my father; eventually totaled it. Sold the Tbird in parts to a guy who hauled it all the way to Tulsa, OK. Wound up working on my dad's 1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham for him, but got bogged down with having children, then first wife's leukemia and passing, remarried, more kids. He eventually sent me the title and I hung on to it for a while, but couldn't justify the work/$ it needed, so it was sold. My current wife owned Ruby, so that's when I switched from "classics" to Accords. I would still like to have a big old convertible.
Some years back in the JY my dad's buddy owned there was oneof those big boats with the Cadillac 500ci engine; i opened the hood just to check if it was there and closed it back up. A "Luxury" car that i would not mind owning would be a 1st gen Buick Riviera with the clam shell headlights, damn Patrick Swaize and Roadhouse!
__________________
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:42 PM   #14
fleetw00d
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Chester, Ohio
Posts: 2,532
fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
If I remember correctly, all the Caddies would have had a 429. The Tbird had a 390. My mom had a 1975 Eldorado with the 500.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:36 AM   #15
wed3k
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 18,078
wed3k seems to have made some friends! wed3k seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to wed3k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
Those 396 are damn good engines, i guess that is where all your those parts are going to huh? I will say that i would rather have a car turn into a money pit than for it to go thru my liver or lungs. I don't know if you have kids, but if you do im sure that they would rather remember you as the guy working on cars than smoking, drinking or even worse; i come from an alcoholic family so believe me when i tell you that.
no kids, dont plan on having any at the moment. my cars are my kids.
__________________
I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.
wed3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:00 PM   #16
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spring Tx
Posts: 449
Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
So, this past week was an interesting one for me to say the least; i managed to find both a Plymouth Satellite AND a 68 Barracuda locally that are on my price range. I contacted both sellers and after 1 question the Satellite owner stopped responding but i did however get a chance to go check out the Cuda; guy has the 340 engine and 727 for it BUT the car has weight reduction on the roof in the form of major rust holes. He is very eager to unload it so i decided to come home and check replacement parts before dropping money; i am saddened that there seems to not be replacement roofs for these fastbacks. Aside from the roof the car does have the usual rust on hood, fenders and possibly floorpans which can all be found fairly cheap; interior seems to be there more or less but how do you go past a non replaceable roof that seems to have a pound of bondo around the rust? Pictures of satellite showed rust too but was a complete car with floor shifter and there is a plethora of replacement sheet metal for those cars.
__________________
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:46 PM   #17
AccordWarrior
Guy Smiley
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,786
AccordWarrior is very helpful AccordWarrior is very helpful AccordWarrior is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
So, this past week was an interesting one for me to say the least; i managed to find both a Plymouth Satellite AND a 68 Barracuda locally that are on my price range. I contacted both sellers and after 1 question the Satellite owner stopped responding but i did however get a chance to go check out the Cuda; guy has the 340 engine and 727 for it BUT the car has weight reduction on the roof in the form of major rust holes. He is very eager to unload it so i decided to come home and check replacement parts before dropping money; i am saddened that there seems to not be replacement roofs for these fastbacks. Aside from the roof the car does have the usual rust on hood, fenders and possibly floorpans which can all be found fairly cheap; interior seems to be there more or less but how do you go past a non replaceable roof that seems to have a pound of bondo around the rust? Pictures of satellite showed rust too but was a complete car with floor shifter and there is a plethora of replacement sheet metal for those cars.
Contact some yards in the southwest and get quotes to have a roof cut off and shipped to you.
AccordWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #18
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spring Tx
Posts: 449
Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
Thanks for that idea AccordWarrior as it hadnt occurred to me to do that(i actually mean it), over the last days though i decided to not take on the project as it is beyond my capabilities and not willing to have a rusty car sitting until i can find the parts i need to fix it. Found another 2 cars that were tempting and a hell of alot less time,money and work to restore but declined to even check them out. I think i am at some sort of mid life crisis at 32
__________________
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #19
HenRoc
Black Thunder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,616
HenRoc seems to have made some friends! HenRoc seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to HenRoc
I have a good friend who owns a 1975 Impala coupe that hes used for movies that were shot locally (I think the most recent being Black Mass).
__________________
Henry R
Koni/Neuspeed
1992 Accord LX R.I.P
1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3


'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video
HenRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.