Effectiveness of the electronic troubleshooting manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effectiveness of the electronic troubleshooting manual

Alright, for those of you who have electronic troubleshooting manuals for these cars, I have a question. I am trying to diagnose an electrical issue that I seem to have created myself this weekend. I bought a new CB recently and the rains this weekend revealed the common trunk leak through the taillight gaskets. I replaced them with the outer tail lights from my other coupe because it has gaskets I made from a yoga mat to eliminate the leaking and I got the "BRAKE LAMP" warning light on the dash. All lights are working including the high-mount brake on the rear deck.

My question is in regard to the actual diagnostic procedure, not so much to help me with this particular issue. The factory Helms manual says that the first item to check based on the variables of this scenario would be the brake light switch on the pedal. That hasn't been changed at all and it was working without error 5 minutes before swapping the tail lights, so that's unlikely. The next thing it tells me to change is the gauge cluster. The same logic tells me that the cluster is likely not the problem as it, too, was fully functional immediately before swapping out the tail lights. I've gone back and forth between all tail lights and they all seem to work fine out back, yet give the warning light on the dash. The only issue was the gaskets.

How does the Electronic Troubleshooting Manual approach this same scenario? Does it involve any more steps? If so, I'll probably buy one. I just don't want to buy something that my manual already covers, even if it is fairly inconclusive.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Jarrett, I'm not around any of my Honda books but it seems to me that the procedure you are following is more for factory defects. Being that this is a 20+ year old car and problems like these arise as a fault and not a defect the proper procedure should start with functional confirmation then feature elimination then end with wire and signal tracing.

The feature that's tripping you up has to be the light out sensor. When you changed the lights did any plugs fight you or feel loose? I'm sure you checked for corrosion and used dielectric grease. Can you try swapping out black/brown boxes from another CB7?

Comment

I'm sure that's the issue, I just wanted to see if the troubleshooting manual approached diagnosis in a different way. By your description, it seems that it does and is, likewise, worth purchasing.

And I can swap out boxes easily. However, it does seem odd that it will give the error message for two different tail lights.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

The etm has more detailed wiring diagrams. There are some limited descriptions of how things work for a just few things. There are no troubleshooting steps.

Brake lamp warning is a confusing setup but the service manual description is accurate. If the light is on, there is a problem with the diode or relays in taillights
        Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

There's a way to jump a wire on the drivers tailight to turn off the light... If you could do that you could isolate the issue from being the cluster.. anyway alot of troubleshooting manuals dont go in depth with things like this..even honda ones. Usually just have to follow a wiring diagram.
          wat?

Comment

Working...
          X