Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Short ram intake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basically its just flipping the airbox around with the top taken off.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

short ram you'll get a 1 - 2% horsepower gain haha
      nothing special
      i got some stock honda civic si turboz

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=6532

Booty fabbin.... I run this also. Sounds good with a little bit more top end..
        90' Honda Accord LX Sedan
        Everytime I feel blue, I remember to breath again.

Comment

Why not just buy a short ram air intake and just wrap it in a heat shield to protect it from heat that way you get the best of both worlds.

Piss and moan again and you'll have time out in the corner Susan.

Comment

Well, the filter would still be breathing in hot engine air....

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
            where you been, is something wrong?
            i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

If I may recommend a great filter that not many people rock on here YET, the AEM Dry Flow. It sounds better, and I'm sure there is a tiny increase in power (considering my k&N was all clogged up. DRY Filters are the way to go with CAI or SRI. BTW, I'd get the tubing from EBAY than just use an AEM filter if you want to keep costs down.
              My Member's Ride Thread, Comments Welcome!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Specter
                okay... not to sound to much like a dick, but any intake system for $30 i'd personaly run away from. look, it's not the best idea to do your car on the cheap because it will come back to bite you in the ass later... now on the difference on a short ram vs. CAI there are a few differences.

on a short ram you get better and quicker airflow [and for those of you that live where it likes to flood no worrie of bogging your engine out] however you will get hoter air into the inkate manifold... that's where a CIA comes in. colder air but you loose the benifits of more air... it's a trade off, but i'd say go for the short ram
                i am sorry but i disagree with you. i have bought a short ram intake for $30 as well off of ebay and im still using it on my second f22a1 motor not 1 problem and im the orignal owner of my car.i put well over 50k miles on the sri and only changed the filter once by jus aoin to advance auto parts
                Get'em tough get'em boosted. Start Boosting at a Young Age.

Comment

wouldn't header wrap help disapate heat in the SRI please correct m if I'm wrong

Piss and moan again and you'll have time out in the corner Susan.

Comment

Its a damn tube that with a filter at the end directing air to the TB. I dont see why you would run away from a 30 dollar intake system. Why just because it doesnt have a sticker with AEM or something on there? I bought a cold air for 50 dollars and ive just use the SRI part of it so far (too lazy to open up the hole for extension) Im also using it with my h22. The only difference i see in the 30 dollar intake is that its most likely got a shit filter, finish isnt that great but still liveable, and it doest have a sticker on there.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by Specter
                      okay... not to sound to much like a dick, but any intake system for $30 i'd personaly run away from. look, it's not the best idea to do your car on the cheap because it will come back to bite you in the ass later... now on the difference on a short ram vs. CAI there are a few differences.

on a short ram you get better and quicker airflow [and for those of you that live where it likes to flood no worrie of bogging your engine out] however you will get hoter air into the inkate manifold... that's where a CIA comes in. colder air but you loose the benifits of more air... it's a trade off, but i'd say go for the short ram
                      I paid 40 bucks for an RAI off of ebay and it worked fine....no need to spend absolutely rediculious amount of money for a different name in intake, only major diff is the filter(which you can upgrade later).
                      My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                        Its a damn tube that with a filter at the end directing air to the TB. I dont see why you would run away from a 30 dollar intake system. Why just because it doesnt have a sticker with AEM or something on there? I bought a cold air for 50 dollars and ive just use the SRI part of it so far (too lazy to open up the hole for extension) Im also using it with my h22. The only difference i see in the 30 dollar intake is that its most likely got a shit filter, finish isnt that great but still liveable, and it doest have a sticker on there.
                        exactly.
                        Get'em tough get'em boosted. Start Boosting at a Young Age.

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                          I spray painted mine blue...looks pretty good imho
                          My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

Originally posted by williamsvt
                            personally, intakes to me are just piping that make your car sound a little bit better when accelerating.

*keep in mind i myself actually have an AEM CAI*

i think that depending on the piping, 30 bucks isn't a bad deal, and may actually be an alright buy. I mean think about it, all an intake really is, is just piping to let extra air in during higher RPMS...so why should it matter whether or not its an AEM pipe or an un-brand named pipe. A pipe is a pipe and does the same thing. Especially when talking about short ram intakes rather than CAI's, it really doesn't matter even more, since you won't run the risk of sucking in water (CAI = cold air intake = filter is in right wheel well bottom). Some people even have hacked air boxes on here as their intakes and they just slap a filter at the end.

In the end, you really don't need a brand name Short-ram, unless your going to shows and need something to show off. The filter is what counts, and thats what i would spend some money on. Getting a good filter thats breathable is far more important then a name slapped onto a piping.

Also, as others have said you won't get that kind of HP from an intake sadly...i thought the exact same thing when i got my CAI 2-3 years ago, but sadly you only gain some cool sound while accelerating and maybe 1 hp.
                            perfectly said

Hey check us out www.2camcrew.com

Comment

Yep just like what williamsvt said...knew i shoulda went back and copied and pasted.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Hey I have a question about ebay intakes. I notice in the DIY for installing an AEM CAI, you need to cap off a port on the intake manifold, and put a piece of foam in another line. None of the ebay intakes seem to come with the cap or foam, so I'm guessing that stuff is only needed on AEM intake installs?

Comment

Working...
                                X