Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's time for some changes around here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@foampirate,, your quote is sad. Cant believe somebody can write like that but trying to make fun of that is just wrong. Im not saying you are but still.
    10th Anniversary Accord.
    05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

Ive always wanted to say something about the general attitude towards the beginners from the older members but most of them were contributors so i just kept it to myself. I like spending time in the beginners section because they need a lot of help. Sure they could use the search button to look for information but sometimes you dont know how to word it to search for it; i still have problems with the search myself.

Now when they type in a language i cant read, i just click the back button. Theres no need to belittle anyone over that.

Comment

good ideas guys. hopefully we all can be who we were in the beginning.
        are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Nicely put Deev. Things have changed and I am glad to see they have been noticed.
          3 CB's gone....
          1 WK Overland....

Still miss the CB though......maybe one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
            Long time coming.

Im not sure anything we do as a community, will bring it back to the good ole days, simply because of the change in ownership age/maturity etc and just the general attitude of younger kids these days, but we can sure change enough that it will be more enjoyable to hang around here.

I use to be here 24/7 and I myself got tired of the same old bs.

Sometimes I can be an asshole but it just stems for my disappointment over things here and general attitudes of people.

This completely sums up my feelings toward the community.

Comment

I went for a year without posting on here because of the way things were. I noticed that if your car didn't have a Legend lip, 1 piece headlights, slammed on some form of stock wheels, red/clear tails, and JDM as fuck! you weren't in the "in crowd" this is a forum of individuals, not lemmings. The way I see it is like this, it's my car, my money, my wrench time. Until you pay for my parts, do the labor to my car, then don't bash on it. I understand constructive criticism, but I often feel people are afraid or hesitant to post pics of their cars or mods they've done because they don't want to be bashed. I mean, if I was to do something to my car that I liked, posted a pic and was constantly talked down to because of what I did, I'd be a little apprehensive about posting anything on here other than maybe a "fuck you, this site is stupid" comment. People have to understand, not everyone has thick skin and can take the rash of bad comments.

Something else that drives me nuts is the way people type. HOLY FUCK! I try to type legibly, and I understand typing quick or on the fly, but c'mon man! Adding a vowel here and there, maybe some form of punctuation goes a LONG ways.

Comment

You fellas will be happy to know, this thread motivated me to send an apology PM to a member I responded to with attitude and a smartass remark.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189897 MRT
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...09#post3003309 EF hatch build

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                  Ive always wanted to say something about the general attitude towards the beginners from the older members but most of them were contributors so i just kept it to myself. I like spending time in the beginners section because they need a lot of help. Sure they could use the search button to look for information but sometimes you dont know how to word it to search for it; i still have problems with the search myself.

Now when they type in a language i cant read, i just click the back button. Theres no need to belittle anyone over that.

I feel the same way. I've been here since my first accord. back in 06-07 and in that time wow every one WAS A FAMILY it nothing mattered the only thing that counted was you drove a CB7 loved your car, loved fixing it your self and loved telling everyone in the forum what you did. Or you would bring your character to the OT but keep your character in the OT.

Man I want those days back.

PS- I was wondering where you were deeve. I thought maybe something bad had happened

Comment

Originally posted by Bullhorn7 View Post
                    I agree, iv noticed it in myself too.... So I tend to stay away from the technical forum.
                    Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                    Excited for that. Maybe then I'll be motivated to venture out of Off Topic some more and actually spend time in the Beginner's forum which I rarely do.
                    This is the crux of the problem. It's not a new members issue, it's an old members issue. No longer do we have the great technical minds that contributed so heavily to this site in regular participation. Sure, there are a few stalwarts out there, but what happened to guys like MRX, pwrusr, and BustedLX. These people were MAJOR contributors who are no longer around or post incredibly infrequently. While we can't assume people to remain forever, who are the guys who have taken their places and continue to push forward?

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                    Ive always wanted to say something about the general attitude towards the beginners from the older members but most of them were contributors so i just kept it to myself.
                    Originally posted by nine_deuce View Post
                    I understand constructive criticism, but I often feel people are afraid or hesitant to post pics of their cars or mods they've done because they don't want to be bashed.
                    People talk about this as if it is a new issue. Before this site was ever created, there was a "right" and "wrong" way to mod just about any vehicle depending on the time period. If you rolled up in a car that was considered awesome today to a meet in the later 1990's you would probably be made fun of because you didn't have underglow, a wing, and some NOS. Wait a decade or so and the tables have turned. New members being harrased by old members has been happening pretty much the entire time the site has been around.

However, the volumn of negativity on the forum has certainly increased. I feel a major part of this is that we are no longer in an exploratory phase for the CB platform. In the mid 2000's, parts were being discovered, brake combinations where being developed, and the H22 swap had come into the mainstream for the average wrench turner. These were huge steps in the evolution of the CB platform. How often are discoveries such as these made these days on the forum? Aside from the few projects of technical interest (of which I watch with anticipation), where are our technical gurus who are pushing towards higher goals for the chassis?

Internet culture is also to blame. In 2008 people didn't need their information in less than 140 characters and updated every 2 mintues. These days, less emphasis is put on individual thoughts and actual, physical output. The picture of the average "tuner" by today's standard is probably closer to a guy sitting behind a monitor than one underneath a vehicle.

Originally posted by Maple50175
                    Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

I read every post, and I like the attitude of each poster. Made me look at myself to see how I may be able to assist.
                      The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

i had this whole thing typed out and realized it wont add to the discussion, so ill just say DEEV Y U DELETE FACEBOOK
                        To-Do List for Today
                        Be Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by nine_deuce View Post
                          understand constructive criticism, but I often feel people are afraid or hesitant to post pics of their cars or mods they've done because they don't want to be bashed.

No one should EVER be afraid to post a pic of their cars, if I personally see it, that member will be banned. There's no flaming on this site, period.

I have seen many threads where people ask for other members opinions, and everyone does just that, gives their opinions. And sometimes the OP gets offended, but, you asked for peoples opinions, you get the good and the bad. But when the OP doesn't ask for opinions and then somebody decides they are going to give their negative opinions, thats not going to fly with me.

Sorry for the rant, it's an issue that's been bothering me lately.
                          Originally posted by Mishakol129
                          Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by Tnwagn View Post
                            This is the crux of the problem. It's not a new members issue, it's an old members issue. No longer do we have the great technical minds that contributed so heavily to this site in regular participation. Sure, there are a few stalwarts out there, but what happened to guys like MRX, pwrusr, and BustedLX. These people were MAJOR contributors who are no longer around or post incredibly infrequently. While we can't assume people to remain forever, who are the guys who have taken their places and continue to push forward?
                            toycar joined last year, and provided some very useful turbo information that many of the oldschool turbo guys never provided. He's the one responsible for putting the 14b back on the budget-boost menu.

cloudasc, while "oldschool" by most standards now, is a 2007 member. He's pushing things forward by actively developing a method of tuning the PT3 and PT6 ECUs. His work will surely translate easily enough to the P13 and P14 soon enough... making our ECU tuning options much more CB-friendly.

drummersteve7, while also "oldschool" (2006) has essentially taken over MRX's role when it comes to ECU tuning (both instruction and providing the service), as well as general instruction on building turbo engines. He's also the turbo section mod. Everything MRX did.

cincy90h22 is pushing forward as the first supercharged H22 on this site, and the first centrifugal-supercharger equipped CB I have ever seen, period. He's also a 2006 member, but he's doing something new.

Tippey764, 2009, has informed me of more oddball JDM parts in the past year or two than I've known since I joined this site in 03.

The bisimoto header is the first high-performance header ever for the F22A. In fact, in the old days, we didn't have a company that offered F22A-specific performance parts. We had to scrape together what we could... cheap pistons, cheap cam regrinds, etc... Only in relatively recent times has the F22A been made a more viable performance option, and complain about nutriders as people may, Bisimoto is largely to thank for that transition.

In all truth, we have PLENTY of members doing even more than the old ones did. They're just part of a much larger community, and the novelty has worn off for the general community. Before, basic mods were exciting, and extravagant mods threw this group into a frenzy. Now, most members are tired of the most basic mods, and extravagant mods get no more than a virtual pat on the back. We've had a number of turbo guys making numbers that would have made them celebrities in this crowd in 2006. Right now, I can't even tell you who holds the crown for the most powerful car on the site! (actually, I can... it's NWaccord...)

Keep in mind, in the old days we tended to look up to guys for things we aren't impressed by today. We used to admire the guys with budget turbo setups on stock F22As. We used to admire the guys that dropped the cash for a full coilover sytsem (because they weren't a dime a dozen as they are today.) We used to admire the guys with JDM parts, because they were less common, and many of those parts were still unknown to us. It takes a LOT more to impress this community now. In fact. MRX, who was considered an expert, was probably on par with many of the lesser-known stock-block turbo guys on this site now (what set MRX apart was his diligent research and meticulous work, though... and that he was somewhat of a pioneer on this site...) Still, the car he drove and the work he did would put him mid-pack at best...

I do see your point, though. In the old days, it was like Christopher Columbus discovering America. A big discovery on a small scale. Today, it's like a scientist discovering a new galaxy. The discovery could be much more significant, but people just aren't as impressed anymore!

People talk about this as if it is a new issue. Before this site was ever created, there was a "right" and "wrong" way to mod just about any vehicle depending on the time period. If you rolled up in a car that was considered awesome today to a meet in the later 1990's you would probably be made fun of because you didn't have underglow, a wing, and some NOS. Wait a decade or so and the tables have turned. New members being harrased by old members has been happening pretty much the entire time the site has been around.
                            Exactly. Remember these sentiments?
                            Originally posted by mayberry in July 2007 View Post
                            I'll attack. Ban all 06 members.
                            Internet culture is also to blame. In 2008 people didn't need their information in less than 140 characters and updated every 2 mintues. These days, less emphasis is put on individual thoughts and actual, physical output. The picture of the average "tuner" by today's standard is probably closer to a guy sitting behind a monitor than one underneath a vehicle.
                            I agree 100% there, and that's the thing I think the staff needs to figure out how to address effectively. Much of my own negativity has been focused directly at those people... the people that I've deemed as lazy for "txt-speak" typing, unintelligible posts due to grammar, spelling, and a lack of punctuation, and a general lack of effort to learn anything on their own.
                            I started on forums over 10 years ago, and I consider myself being late to the tuner forum party. I was also brand new to modifying cars back then. Everything I've learned about my car has been done with the assistance of one forum or another. However, I spent most of my time searching, reading, researching, and THINKING. All before I asked a question. Questions on forums weren't for quick, no-effort answers. They were to ask for help solving a problem that I was unable to solve after putting forth my greatest effort.
                            Today's generation of kids grew up not just with the internet (which I didn't have until I was 17), but high speed internet. Today's kids don't have to wait for anything, and that translates to how they interact with people on forums. They want their answers NOW, because everything else they want is provided by the internet NOW. It's a different mentality. It negatively affects a community such as this, and the way the older members react to it adds to that mess considerably.

Originally posted by texasvtak View Post
                            i had this whole thing typed out and realized it wont add to the discussion, so ill just say DEEV Y U DELETE FACEBOOK
                            Refocusing my life. Eliminating distractions. Taking care of what's important, and limiting what's not. This is important. At the moment... Facebook is not.
                            Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                            No one should EVER be afraid to post a pic of their cars, if I personally see it, that member will be banned. There's no flaming on this site, period.

I have seen many threads where people ask for other members opinions, and everyone does just that, gives their opinions. And sometimes the OP gets offended, but, you asked for peoples opinions, you get the good and the bad. But when the OP doesn't ask for opinions and then somebody decides they are going to give their negative opinions, thats not going to fly with me.

Sorry for the rant, it's an issue that's been bothering me lately.
                            Agreed. Someone's car should never be bashed, no matter how terrible it may be. My car was ugly as hell before I painted it. I was proud of it. I put an H22 in an ugly car. If someone told me that my car was a piece of crap, and I was wasting my time putting an H22 in a rusty car with dents and faded paint, I'd have been hurt. Yes, it's the internet... but if I care enough to share my car with people on the internet, I care enough about the feedback I get... and I care about my car.
                            When asking for opinions, you WILL get negative opinions. There's a difference between negative opinions and attacks. If someone says "hey, I mounted a Terminator wing on my hood! what do you think?"... there's a nice way to tell him that it looks awful.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              ...I do see your point, though. In the old days, it was like Christopher Columbus discovering America. A big discovery on a small scale. Today, it's like a scientist discovering a new galaxy. The discovery could be much more significant, but people just aren't as impressed anymore! ...
                              Absolutely.

Also, I think it not only has an impact based on what is going on in the CB community but the overall import community in general. I think people look at the level of depth of some of the biggest builds in the industry and see our own platform as pedestrian in comparison (even those that have been within the community for years).

Originally posted by Maple50175
                              Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                                Refocusing my life. Eliminating distractions. Taking care of what's important, and limiting what's not. This is important. At the moment... Facebook is not.
                                who else am i gonna bass nerd with?
                                To-Do List for Today
                                Be Awesome

Comment

Working...
                                X