Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Question About Oil Leak!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question About Oil Leak!

Hey guys, I'm diggin' the community. This is my first post on this forum, haven't been on a forum in a WHILE!

Anyways, I recently bought a 1990 Honda Accord Automatic EX 4 Door
    I am not familiar with VTEC, DOHC, F22A or any of that gibberish. I just want to make this car last since the mileage is relatively low. I want to learn and be educated about this car. I have been reading many of the stickys and various topics. I want someone's opinion on what is leaking in my engine bay. I took some photos from when I did my oil change. There is oil all over the oil pan, and it looks like the leak is coming from above. On top of the engine, there are two nuts?, one of them has oil inside of the cavity. It's kinda tough to describe, so just take a look at the photos.

Also, this may be unrelated but maybe one of you experts can tell me what's going on. I recently bought clear corners for the car, and since there weren't any light bulbs when i purchased the car; I splurged and bought LED blue bulbs. Anyway, the corner on the driver side stays lit when the car is off and the key is out. The passenger does not stay lit. Please take a look at the photo.

Thanks for reading and please help!

btw: I am getting a burning smell similiar to burning oil, maybe from the exhaust catching the falling oil?

edit: pics were HUGE so here is a link to the album. http://imgur.com/a/j4dys
    Last edited by muhammedmian; 10-28-2014, 10:42 PM.
    Originally posted by cb7dazz
    And you're english is much better than some people on this board and it's their primary language.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    ...for example

It appears to be the valve cover gasket. It's a little hard to tell, but it almost looks like a gasket sealant was used. Maybe with or without a gasket. Some of the gasket seems to bulging.

Also it looks like the oil pan gasket is bulging out above the oil pan drain bolt.

Comment

If the leak is coming from above as tishock mentioned it's probably coming from the valve cover gasket or even possibly your cam seal from looking at the pictures where there's oil on the left side of the valve cover. It's better to start and rule out the cheaper replacements then fix the more expensive parts if need be. What would probably help you give a better idea where the oil is coming from is if you wipe down the parts you think it's coming from and the oil pan since the oil could be coming from something up top. Then after about an hour or so just go and take a peak under and above the engine to see if you can isolate the area where the oil is coming from. Also, welcome to the site

Comment

Originally posted by tishock View Post
        It appears to be the valve cover gasket. It's a little hard to tell, but it almost looks like a gasket sealant was used. Maybe with or without a gasket. Some of the gasket seems to bulging.

Also it looks like the oil pan gasket is bulging out above the oil pan drain bolt.
        When I stick my head near the valve cover, I see gobs of something. Maybe it is a sealant, it kind of looks like a crappy caulk job that you would see on a bathtub or shower. I realize the valve cover gasket may have to be changed, but what about the oil pan gasket?

Originally posted by Restless View Post
        If the leak is coming from above as tishock mentioned it's probably coming from the valve cover gasket or even possibly your cam seal from looking at the pictures where there's oil on the left side of the valve cover. It's better to start and rule out the cheaper replacements then fix the more expensive parts if need be. What would probably help you give a better idea where the oil is coming from is if you wipe down the parts you think it's coming from and the oil pan since the oil could be coming from something up top. Then after about an hour or so just go and take a peak under and above the engine to see if you can isolate the area where the oil is coming from. Also, welcome to the site
        When I look near the left side of the valve cover, I do see much more oil down on the wires near my alternator. Is the cam shaft that "thing" that is hooked to the valve cover on the left?

I will do the wipe down as soon as it stops pouring!

Thanks for the response guys.
        And you're english is much better than some people on this board and it's their primary language.
        ...for example

Comment

I don't think a wipe down is going to cut it. You probably need to do a power wash. With everything clean, drive it a short distance, then follow leaks up and forward. If the pan gasket is leaking, you should see oil there pretty quickly before oil has a chance to leak down from the valve cover area. If there is a lot of oil on the right end of the engine and the top of the transmission, the o-ring between the distributor housing and head, or the internal distributor seal, may be leaking as well.

Do you have oil in the spark plug holes (check this by pulling your plug wires); if so, change the lower plug hole seals when you do the valve cover gasket.

The camshaft is under the valve cover. The plastic cover on the left end of the engine covers the camshaft pulley, timing belt, balancer shaft belt, and water pump.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I changed the valve cover gasket yesterday, used ultra grey silicone on the corners and change the 4 gaskets that go in the valve cover under the sparkplug wires. The gasket kit came with 4 o-rings, and I don't know where to put them?

Anyway, I wiped down the heat shield, distributor, valve cover. Now I will be watching for leaks.

Edit: just popped the hood, now I drove about 20 miles after gasket change. There is staining coming down from the oil filler cap and running down the front and back of the valve cover?

I did a quick google and came up with ventilation, do you guys think it is the pvc valve and hose that are clogged?

Edit#2: I went to autozone, tried to get an replacement o-ring for oil filler cap because it wasn't visible to the naked eye. They don't sell them so I bought an aftermarket oil filler cap. Will keep you updated on my progress/regress.

Well, at least I dont have oil in my grommets!

Thanks guys
            Last edited by muhammedmian; 11-09-2014, 09:59 AM.
            ...for example

Comment

Hey guys, I have the same problem but not toward the under carriadge.. but my top right bolt on the valve cover is actually broke and oil is flooding my spark plugs out, from right to left, 1 - 3 are flooded since the right bolt is broke. Knowingly I have to replace the gasket because is see oil trying to squeeze out over a long period of time.. but is there a way to remove my valve cover with that broken bolt?

Check Muhammed mins pics since I didn't pics myself. Where his is leaking and collecting oil, MINE IS broke and oil actually spews out and floods spark plugs 1 - 3 :/..

Help please

Progress thread on my '93 CB7

Comment

Please don't dig up old threads. Make a new thread with your question. I guarantee the next response will be to the original post, not your question.

Comment

Working...
                X