Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Is this Mod Legit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a valueless modification for a few reasons.

Let me break them down:

1) If you look at your stock intake system, you notice that you have 2 intake pipes. The lower one and then the upper one that connects to that resonator.

The problem with air is that it takes the path of least resistance. So that lower tube is still providing air from right behind the headlight, and the upper tube probably is too. Not much is going to have changed with drilling a bunch of holes in the resonator, which is really there to just reduce the sound resonating in the car.

2) I have modded quite a few stock CB7 airboxes because I HATE the loud sucking and growling noise that a short ram or traditional cold air intake provide all of the time. Sometimes it is nice to not be surrounded by sucking, resonant air.

That said, the biggest limitation on that box, IMO, is the fact that the two small pipes don't really flow much air, and while not the same temp as the rest of the engine bay (since they are sucking from just behind the headlight) the air can still be relatively warm.

What I ended up doing to mine was to replace those tubes with ones more suitable to flowing more air.

My first design replaced the top tube with PVC pipe that effectively made it about 1/2 an inch larger. That seemed to improve throttle response with the F22 while keeping it stock sounding. In fact, you really couldn't tell the difference with the stock intake. I experimented with replacing it with a short ram and couldn't really tell any difference other than noise.

My second, and current setup was to take the stock box, fill in the holes and cut the one coupling off the corner, and then put a big 3" hole in the side. I got the self made intake parts from Spectre and made my own 3" pipe that went into the side of the air box and then ran down into the fender (where a normal cold air filter would be) with a velocity stack on it. It seemed to greatly improve flow and throttle response on the H22 without greatly increasing noise. In fact, my exhaust is significantly louder than the intake, which is throaty, but not massively loud.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I agree, drilling holes/modding the resonator box is not going to do anything for performance.

I as well opted to cut a 3" hole in the side of the stock air box on my current ride 2004 Grand Am. I am using PVC pipe, as ghetto as that may sound it works very well with the plastic air box. It is a true 3" ID and as smooth as you can get. Air flow has no restrictions in this layout.

The throttle response with this mod is much better and it is still throaty when you really come on to her. Still running stock exhaust.
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

I removed the resonator and replaced the Accord intake box and intake tube with a junkyard one from a Prelude. The Prelude filter is larger than the Accord filter, which theoretically reduces resistance across the air filter and increases air flow.

Of course, as already discussed by a lot of people, this may do nothing to actually increase performance. But it was cheap to do and intake noise is a lot less than a short-ram intake. And getting rid of the resonator and swapping intake boxes cut 8 pounds off. Again, its not much, but it can't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
          I agree, drilling holes/modding the resonator box is not going to do anything for performance.

I as well opted to cut a 3" hole in the side of the stock air box on my current ride 2004 Grand Am. I am using PVC pipe, as ghetto as that may sound it works very well with the plastic air box. It is a true 3" ID and as smooth as you can get. Air flow has no restrictions in this layout.

The throttle response with this mod is much better and it is still throaty when you really come on to her. Still running stock exhaust.
          I would have done this same one, but could never find a stock prelude air box.

Did you have to move the battery at all to make it fit?
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

This would be the ideal intake setup from a prelude type S. Notice the large and small tubes that create a chamber to which the air can flow faster.

in case you want to buy one, they're pretty pricey http://www.icbmotorsport.com/prtysdyairin.html

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by wagon-r View Post
              I removed the resonator and replaced the Accord intake box and intake tube with a junkyard one from a Prelude. The Prelude filter is larger than the Accord filter, which theoretically reduces resistance across the air filter and increases air flow.

Of course, as already discussed by a lot of people, this may do nothing to actually increase performance. But it was cheap to do and intake noise is a lot less than a short-ram intake. And getting rid of the resonator and swapping intake boxes cut 8 pounds off. Again, its not much, but it can't hurt.
              Those are probably the best reasons to do it.

Comment

I think it's a legit mod, though not a huge difference. It looks like Honda sacrificed some performance in airflow to keep things quiet. (Thinking of resonators in general) If you don't mind the sound then short of removing it, why not.

I tried stock (with and without the snorkels) and with a short ram intake, and I could tell a slight difference in performance. Without the snorkels, making it pretty much a short ram with heat shielding, I think the head was spinning free-er. (I also have a header installed). But the sound was like a infiniti exhaust. Sounded performance-ish, but not 'natural'

With the short ram (and intake manifold/TB upgrade) I think it finally opened the header up, and I can definitely feel a extra kick in my step. So if the the demand for air is increased (whether from your foot or parts) and you don't mind the sound, then I don't see why not let some more air in there, especially beyond the filter. Seems like a larger volume of slightly warmer free flowing air is more efficient (less throttle required) than a smaller volume of cooler stifled air. Mind you this is not scientific, my opinion.

Is that Type S intake nice or what
                Last edited by DCB7; 09-29-2015, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                  I would have done this same one, but could never find a stock prelude air box.

Did you have to move the battery at all to make it fit?
                  Yes sir. the battery is in the trunk..... and the PVC is connected to a ram air hood.
                  MR Thread
                  GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                    This would be the ideal intake setup from a prelude type S. Notice the large and small tubes that create a chamber to which the air can flow faster.

in case you want to buy one, they're pretty pricey http://www.icbmotorsport.com/prtysdyairin.html
                    This is what I put into my Accord. Bought the parts from a junkyard. I don't remember what it cost, but it wasn't expensive (or I would have remembered).

The Prelude box might have interfered with the battery, but I replaced the stock battery with a smaller, 28# battery (with about 450 CCA). So, no problem with room and the smaller battery cut off another 13#.

Comment

You bought Prelude Type S parts from a junkyard?

Comment

Originally posted by DCB7 View Post
                        I think it's a legit mod, though not a huge difference. It looks like Honda sacrificed some performance in airflow to keep things quiet. (Thinking of resonators in general) If you don't mind the sound then short of removing it, why not.

I tried stock (with and without the snorkels) and with a short ram intake, and I could tell a slight difference in performance. Without the snorkels, making it pretty much a short ram with heat shielding, I think the head was spinning free-er. (I also have a header installed). But the sound was like a infiniti exhaust. Sounded performance-ish, but not 'natural'

With the short ram (and intake manifold/TB upgrade) I think it finally opened the header up, and I can definitely feel a extra kick in my step. So if the the demand for air is increased (whether from your foot or parts) and you don't mind the sound, then I don't see why not let some more air in there, especially beyond the filter. Seems like a larger volume of slightly warmer free flowing air is more efficient (less throttle required) than a smaller volume of cooler stifled air. Mind you this is not scientific, my opinion.

Is that Type S intake nice or what
                        I don't know if I'm making it up or not, but I'm pretty sure the engine feels a tad jumpier after I removed it...
                        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          You bought Prelude Type S parts from a junkyard?
                          Sorry, I bought Prelude Si intake box and intake tube from a junkyard. I read the previous post too rapidly.

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
                            I don't know if I'm making it up or not, but I'm pretty sure the engine feels a tad jumpier after I removed it...
                            I know what you mean, a lil peppier. This is all subjective though, as stated

Comment

I wouldn't do it. Unless you have greatly increased the horsepower by some other mods the stock air system is letting it breathe plenty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwNtjKT_1cA

Comment

Working...
                              X