Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

JDM type-S cams vs skunk2 pro 1's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JDM type-S cams vs skunk2 pro 1's

just thought id share. this is my best friend's prelude. i've posted it before. it is only one i know of in existence like it. its had a few different engines in it but he lucked out with a type s h22a and thats what is in it now. it is an automatic MPA1 trans running on hondata with the jdm h22a auto tcm which shifts at 7500 but we manually shift it at 8000rpm.

BEFORE:
    JDM H22A Type-S
    ebay 2.75" CAI
    ebay header
    ebay 2.25" exhaust

AFTER:
    same H22A Type-S
    same ebay 2.75" CAI
    Skunk2 Pro series H22 intake manifold
    Skunk2 Alpha 70mm throttle body (modded for an auto)
    Skunk2 pro1 camshafts
    BrianCrower valvesprings and steel retainers
    same ebay header
    same ebay 2.25" exhaust

there is more left in it but with the auto i have the cams dialed in for more down low, still a nice gain considering. he really needs the Highend tri-y header and a 2.5"-3" exhaust and a stall converter.

tuned it myself, not bad. this thing scoots!

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

I've always been under the impression that the Type-S cam/intake was better than the Skunk2 pro1/intake, is the Pro1 a bigger cam shaft? Cool to know I might be better off just going aftermarket for an NA H22 build instead of grabbing a EuroR or Type S RedTop

Comment

H22 + F22 crank and rods is the best + cheapest jumpoff point

Just keep the revs low

Bootleg H23A blue top

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

it'd be fine to rev it to 8k with f22 crank and rods. it's the 55mm mains that make it a no go. we have toyed with the idea of f23 crank and rods though. it would be fine up to 7500rpm i know this from personal experience. another reason for not going f22/h23a1 crank and rods is the 31mm compression height of h22/h23a pistons. it will work with the 141.5mm f22/h23a1 but wont leave much room for piston to valve clearance. even the h23a blue top has 141mm length rods to accommodate the PCF 31mm compression height pistons. when using the f22/h23a1 rods and h22a/h23a pistons, the piston stick out of the block .020". cant do that with the pro 1's. i think the hold back right now is the auto and the exhaust. after that i told him if he wants to pursue the n/a dragon id sleeve it and go bigger bore with stock stroke. 87mm x 97mm vs 90mm x 90.7mm are both a little over 2300cc but the 97mm stroke vs the 90.7mm stroke is 1.45r/s vs 1.58r/s so engine will live longer at higher rpms with less stroke. a f23 cranked h22 will move roughly 290cfm @ 7500rpm and a stock 90.7mm stroked h22 with 90mm bore will move roughly 330cfm at 8500rpm. he's only worried about high rpm torque so thats what he's after. my view is different, i like low rpm torque because thats where my car spends all it time, this is why most of the time, im an advocate of strokers, lol. as far as the pro1's vs type s cams, its all about degreeing the cams to the engine and your needs. they are called pro cams, not drop in's for a reason, lol. type s cams made the most power at 0,0 the pro1's are set at -1in,+3ex for now. they made more hp at -1,+1 but the p2v clearance was a little tight for a stock type-s piston.

Comment

Originally posted by jdm92_accorn View Post
          there is more left in it but with the auto i have the cams dialed in for more down low, still a nice gain considering. he really needs the Highend tri-y header and a 2.5"-3" exhaust and a stall converter.
          I can't believe he did all this work and left the ebay header on it. 2.5" exhaust would probably be OK, but you've got to get a decent header.

Comment

it goes 1.5" to 1.75" to 1.88" at the collector, lol. it's funny how it flatlines too after 8k. im trying to find the file but we did one run to 9000rpm just for kicks and it holds above 200whp all the way to 8700. i may try these out on a h23vtec in betsy.

Comment

Interesting stuff. I like sleeving too but that is $$$. Plus he can go even further and get oversized valves. But again, $$$$. I think I would still stick with the bootleg H23A and maybe see about getting pistons with that 0.5mm of height taken out. Dude wants high RPM power (with an auto? weird dude lol) so IDK. Maybe he should destroke and let it zing to 9 or w/e.

Originally posted by lordoja
              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
              X