No announcement yet.

blk91coupe : 1991 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So we didn't get as much done as I would have liked. We got the motor in at least. As we were finishing up I re-noticed that there are 2 spots on the throttlebody for cables and mentioned it to my dad. He then said that it was for an automatic transmission. Is this true? Here's a couple pictures.

Also this made me look more into the engine code wondering if this was an automatic engine. In my research I think I found that this engine is from a 94-97 accord SiR which only had around 188 hp. I bought this under the impression it was the 200 hp prelude motor. Here is a picture of the block serial code. Does anyone know how to decipher these? Multiple sources say it's an Accord SiR motor.

Last but not least an engine bay shot.

Thanks for the help guys!
    [/url]

Comment

Man, Washington State cars always look hot!!! I love the newest look of it and now an H swap.

Keep it up.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
      JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Your dad is correct. The front part of the throttle rotor is for the kickdown cable for an automatic transmission. Route the throttle cable around the back part of the rotor, leave the front groove empty and you're done.

The serial number would denote that it is from an Accord SiR, which uses the same camshafts as the USDM H22A1 and many European H22A applications. It still has 10.6:1 compression ratio, so a simple camshaft swap later will give you a decent bump.

The SiR H22A from HMO that I have came with the P0F ECU, too. Is that what yours came with, or did Steve give you a P13? If he gave you a P13, you're good to with adding the necessary wires to the engine harness and pluggin in the ECU. If you have the P0F ECU, then you'll have to swap pins A6 and A11 on the ECU connector.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Thanks, djcaz_aom!

Thanks, Jarrett!

So is the camshaft difference causing the lower hp in these engines? I read something about the throttlebody being different? Also, did this engine cost you less since it's rated at less hp than they advertise for their h22's?

I'm pretty sure I got the P13. I'll look next time I'm at my parents.
          [/url]

Comment

Looking good!

Making me anxious to swap in the H22 I have waiting for my coupe!

Comment

I didn't buy it from Steve. I bought a car that had the engine already installed. The car was owned by an older guy who lived in the country and had a long commute in to town each morning. When his engine went, he just bought an H22A with MP0A transmission from Steve. I have the receipt for what he paid for it, but I don't know where it is, or remember what he paid. Honestly, though, I think I would prefer this engine over another H22A. This one is from a '97 Accord SiR right before the switch to the F20B. It's amazingly clean, and the fact that it came in a car with an automatic makes me think it was hardly ever romped on.

Yes, the throttle body is a bit smaller. I think it matches the H23A1 here in the US, but I'm not sure. I wouldn't concern myself with that too much as aftermarket throttle bodies in larger sizes can be had for very inexpensively which also do away with the FITV. But the camshafts are the real culprit with the power loss over the typical Prelude H22A.

I'd take the engine I have which is in far better condition than ANY other H22A I've seen, spend $200 on Type-S cams and another $100 on an aftermarket 62-66mm throttle body and be much happier than the 200hp model. That's even if the Accord SiR and Prelude versions cost the same.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Thanks, FlipEye! I'm really looking forward to driving it.

Thanks, Jarrett! You make some great points there. I won't worry about it. It is a super clean engine and that makes total sense about not being romped on.
                [/url]

Comment

So when getting stuff installed back on the engine the other day I started to get the a/c back on and realized that the a/c return line is probably 2mm from the aftermarket header I bought. Anyone have have any recommendations? It's very close to where the line meets back with the compressor so I don't think bending the line would work. My dad wants to put a dent in the header tube. I'm using the f22 bracket. I wish I had taken a picture.
                  [/url]

Comment

How much longer 'til completion?
                    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by blk91coupe View Post
                      So when getting stuff installed back on the engine the other day I started to get the a/c back on and realized that the a/c return line is probably 2mm from the aftermarket header I bought. Anyone have have any recommendations? It's very close to where the line meets back with the compressor so I don't think bending the line would work. My dad wants to put a dent in the header tube. I'm using the f22 bracket. I wish I had taken a picture.
                      Wrap either the header or the A/C line or both. I had/have the same issue. Try to cut down on heat transfer with the wrap.
                      The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
                        How much longer 'til completion?
                        Hopefully a day or two more of working on it but probably longer. Unfortunately it's on the other side of the state so I only get a day of work in on it every week or two. We'll see how much I get done on Sunday.

Thanks! Yeah, we also thought about wrapping it. I think I'll try that before doing anything drastic.
                        [/url]

Comment

Well, things kept coming up with this this thing but I finally got to drive it yesterday. Unfortunately it's still not finished. I need to put the f22 vss in and check the EGR valve and the throttle position. Also need to fix a huge exhaust leak back by the muffler, it's bad and sounds horrible. Vtec wouldn't engage but I'm pretty sure the things to fix above will take care of that. It still pulls pretty good though. A code 12 came up hence checking the EGR. Anyhow, just thought I'd give a quick update. Hopefully I can finish it this coming weekend.
                          [/url]

Comment

Originally posted by blk91coupe View Post

Car looks great man The swap sounds good so far

Comment

Thanks DCB7! I've been watching your progress as well. Love your car man.
                              [/url]

Comment

ppreciate it man. I'm working on it
                                Those black accord coupes tho, whew. Always nice (even the 5th gens)
                                and you got yours set good too.
                                That exhaust sound could be the resonator if its that bad

Comment

Working...
                                X