No announcement yet.

SUSP: Rear Lower Strut Mount Bushing removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dealership man... couple bucks and you get one thats the perfect size/length/thread/head size, brand new.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

is it possible that the bushing is rusted in there? bc ive been hamereing away for a while, and im not getting that much progress

Edit: I was hammering away for like 2 min straight. and then took some breaks come back for a couple times. Then one time i decided to use my reciprical saw on it. I barley even touched the hole in the knuckle. After that it they both cam out in under 3 min. combined. (i didnt drill a hole for 2 reasons. all my small drill bits are broken and the stores were all closed, and, im on a budget, duh ).

So i came to the conclusion that its pretty much impossible to take it out, unless you somehow relieve the pressure of that ring.
      Last edited by JohnD1079; 10-20-2007, 06:19 AM.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD1079 View Post
        So i came to the conclusion that its pretty much impossible to take it out, unless you somehow relieve the pressure of that ring.
        Nothing is impossible.....this hread came in real handy for me. I was not able to get the metal ring out with hand tools like cpmike. But the basic idea was there I actually had to get my air chisel out. after using the straight chisel bit and failed miserably I put the straight punch bit in. After a good 20-25 secs. of straight punching it popped right out into the middle of the street. where theres a will theres a way. You just gotta use the old noggin.
        -I believe in looking reality straight in the eye and denying it

Comment

Better not drill out that housing...

What I have done in the past *ON my EG* is get a hacksaw... Take the blade loose and slide it through the opening, then secure and saw away at the sleeve until youve made your way through. Once that is accomplished, beat it out. PB Blaster helps too.

Good DIY! Just wouldnt damage any pieces I was keeping 0_0

Comment

Originally posted by MintCBWagon View Post
            Better not drill out that housing...

What I have done in the past *ON my EG* is get a hacksaw... Take the blade loose and slide it through the opening, then secure and saw away at the sleeve until youve made your way through. Once that is accomplished, beat it out. PB Blaster helps too.

Good DIY! Just wouldnt damage any pieces I was keeping 0_0
            The hacksaw is a pretty good idea, I didnt even think of that when I was replacing mine. However that piece is a pretty rock solid piece of metal,very thick. I actually had to take my die grinder and smooth it out a little bit to get the bushing to fit in there. As long as the bushing fits in there snug I think it would be fine however somebody decides to do it.....cpmike wrote up a great tutorial there are just other variables in every specific vehicle. Things that one has to think about and solve themselves. Once the bolt goes through the bushing that thing is not going anywhere. I drilled out my housing and grinded out that piece and I still had to hammer that bushing in there. I literally got the bushing set in, put a block of wood over it and hammered away for a solid 4-5 mins before it was set in there. Doesnt sound like a long time. but count to 300 mississippi its a good amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by ChampionPanda View Post
              The hacksaw is a pretty good idea, I didnt even think of that when I was replacing mine. However that piece is a pretty rock solid piece of metal,very thick. I actually had to take my die grinder and smooth it out a little bit to get the bushing to fit in there. As long as the bushing fits in there snug I think it would be fine however somebody decides to do it.....cpmike wrote up a great tutorial there are just other variables in every specific vehicle. Things that one has to think about and solve themselves. Once the bolt goes through the bushing that thing is not going anywhere. I drilled out my housing and grinded out that piece and I still had to hammer that bushing in there. I literally got the bushing set in, put a block of wood over it and hammered away for a solid 4-5 mins before it was set in there. Doesnt sound like a long time. but count to 300 mississippi its a good amount of time.
              thanks.

actually the hacksaw idea was my first idea, but i was having a hard time handling the blade in that space and with all my effort i was hardly cutting through the ring, and that is what resulted in busting out the drill. granted it isnt the cleanest method but in some cases this bushing is SO stuck that traditional methods dont work and a little bit of a compromise needs to be made. years later i still dont see an issue with the tiny bit of missing material - though i understand many people wont want to do the same, the people that advise against it "because its bad" are just being paranoid.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                thanks.

actually the hacksaw idea was my first idea, but i was having a hard time handling the blade in that space and with all my effort i was hardly cutting through the ring, and that is what resulted in busting out the drill. granted it isnt the cleanest method but in some cases this bushing is SO stuck that traditional methods dont work and a little bit of a compromise needs to be made. years later i still dont see an issue with the tiny bit of missing material - though i understand many people wont want to do the same, the people that advise against it "because its bad" are just being paranoid.
                agreed that metal is not going to break from removing a tiny bit.....I think that was the case though when I did mine it was completely stuck in there I tried the hammer and chisel but had to break out the air hammer once i was able to chisel that up a lil I took the straight punch and blasted away for a solid 30 seconds......shot right into the street.great right up though in any case helped me a lot.

Comment

Do you have to do the same thing for the front? I'm pretty sure all 4 of my bushings are shot

And I will try drilling on the side of the knuckle with more meat

Originally posted by lordoja
                  im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

i helped a buddy of mine do this to his da few weeks back. we just rented a ball joint/bushing press kit from advanced and took MAYBE 30 mins to press out the old ones and press the new ones in hands down easiest way. no drilling or cutting needed.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

Bumping this thread x10...

I was having this same issue and happen to come axross this thread, and came in super handy.

I used the Air Hammer though and it came out in literally seconds.

Check Out My Work In Progess . . . . .

Comment

In case anyone needs the lower bushing from NAPA, they DO have it! I just got one from there, 6.99 and the part number is 906915. It was special order so be sure to give it a few hours or in my case a day or so coming from Tucson.

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

OMG, thank god for this DIY. I broke the bolt head off when trying to remove the rear strut on the wagon yesterday.

I've been drilling and beating on this thing mercilessly trying to get it out. Now I know the trick to get it done.

cpmike ftw!

Comment

Got my OEM bushing today. What a pain to install. Wouldn't fit. Filed out the hole in the knuckle. No good. Started to file down the outside of the bushing. After lots of test fitting, and hammering, I was getting so fed up.

Can't count how many expletives were loudly yelled. I actually had one of my neighbours come over and see what all the yelling and swearing was about LOL.

Finally, I got so pissed and frustrated, I just went Hulk on the bushing with my hammer and it literally just popped right in after swinging wildly.

Took me forever, and probably one of the worst jobs I've had to do on a CB. Was not fun at all.

The bushing from Honda cost me $23.80 CDN, and comes as only the bushing, no bolt.

Comment

I just had the issue with the lower bushing. Got all 3 springs in without any issue's in fact it was super easy and everything came apart just fine. That last bolt on the lower bushing stopped me from completing the project. So now my car is sitting on the lift at work for who knows how long. Advance auto claimed to not have the part I needed, and It was just getting to late. So I made the hour trek home in a loaner car. Who actually has this part? I kinda need to fix this tomorrow since this is my daily driver.
                              For the love of god, STOP putting H.I.D's in stock housings!!! Projectors ONLY!!!

Comment

Thanks for this thread. I just did this on the left side today. The old bolt (after 25 years) actually came out. I used a long 1 inch hole saw (for cutting the hole in a wood door for the latch mechanism) to cut through the rubber of the bushing (easier than burning it out or drilling a bunch of holes), then a metal blade on my sawzall to make two cuts through the shell of the bushing (the two halves come out very easily). On the new OEM bushing, I used my belt sander to make the angle of the lead in chamfer longer and shallower. I used a 28 mm socket (with a bolt through the socket and bushing to help alignment) to hammer the new bushing in.

On the right side, I tried to undo the bolt and could hear the rubber ripping, so I won't have to cut the rubber in the bushing, but may have to cut the bolt if it is too stuck in the bushing.

7/19/2015: Did the other side today. The bolt would unthread from the nut (at lower end of shock), but the steel part of the bushing was seized to it. Sawzall took care of the bolt on the threaded end; had to use a cutoff wheel for the bushing/bolt at the head end. Two cuts of the bushing shell again made it easy to remove.
                                Last edited by Fleetw00d; 07-20-2015, 12:03 AM.
                                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                                X