No announcement yet.

SUSP : Suspension Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did anyone have trouble compressing the stock front springs? the spring compressor i have is too big to fit between the coils

Comment

Originally posted by tw0six
      what i did was put the whole shock/spring assembley on the ground(grass), then i used put one of my wheels right on top of it, then another behind it. then i unscrewed it VERY slowly until I heard a pop. just make sure that you sit on the tire thats on top of it for safety. im pretty heavy so theres no way that was gona come up, but if you're light, i suggest you get some help.
      I did almost the same thing except i had someone out their foot on the shock and another put the foot on the spring then using a impact gun blast the bolt off. Works great and all it does is rip up the grass.

Before when I didn't have the impact I did it by hand and it the bolts shot across the lawn sometime, so make sure everyone is behind the shock assembly and there are no walls infront of you.

Comment

^^^ is that how everyone got their fronts off?

Comment

did anyone cut off the bumpstop when installin Tien S-tech....?

MY 1n2 CB7

Comment

Originally posted by tanNn2koo
            ^^^ is that how everyone got their fronts off?
            thats how I got it off the first time I lowered a car, and it worked like a charm. The only time I've used a spring compressor was to put stock coils back on and that was no fun at all.

Comment

As far as compressing the fronts... I would suggest using the spring compressor. You have to realize how much pressure is built up on that spring. I just jammed the compressor things in wherever they would go, and then went to work on it.

if that spring pops off when you arent expecting it, you may end up with a nice doctors visit, and then have to find all the parts whenever you get home from your neighbors lawn.

Comment

Originally posted by aero
                As far as compressing the fronts... I would suggest using the spring compressor. You have to realize how much pressure is built up on that spring. I just jammed the compressor things in wherever they would go, and then went to work on it.

if that spring pops off when you arent expecting it, you may end up with a nice doctors visit, and then have to find all the parts whenever you get home from your neighbors lawn.
                should i do the same when re-installing my new springs? i have h&r sports for the front, and the coils are about the same width apart as the OEM springs. would just jamming the compressor cause any harm to the spring?

Comment

When takin the cap and stuff off of the old strut how did you guys get the strut rod to stop spinning...ive tried everything...i use an allen key...i used vise grip type things to try and hold onto it...and it still wont stop spinning....I know that if i had another person hold onto these things it would help...but i dont so any help to be able to do it by myself would be appreciated.

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

when i put my front coilovers on this happened but i just screwed on as far as i would go then put everything back together. lowered the car with the rim back on. once there is 2xxxlbs on the strut it will tighten. i also used an impact wrench(on front). impact wrenches don't fit good in trunks.
                    hey. my cb7 has morphed. haha.

Comment

im getting koni yellow's with Eibach Sportline Springs . i have never done a suspensions before. just so you can have an idea of my abilities all i have ever done is:
                      -brake pads
                      -tire rotation
                      -headlight mounting
                      -disaembling the dash

think i could do it? i have all the tools exept the spring compresor. lmk what you think.
                      Thanks
                      -Dave

Comment

The only experience I had before putting in a new suspension was the installation of my CAI. All I did was follow this DIY and I did it.

If I was to do it again, I'd get a more powerful cordless drill.

Comment

Couples of tips. PB blaster is your friend. Let it soak into the hard to turn nuts and bolts before attempting to remove them. The lower strut mount can be a pain in the ass. Since you're using konis you should be able to adjust them if they're sports(yellow), but the back one's are a bit tricky. You either have to remove the reinforcement arms behind your backseats or make a cutout to adjust them whenever you want. Power tools are better. Spring compressor also makes it easier. Above all, don't try to drop the car too much that it scrapes the tires. Use the koni perches to adjust the ride height.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

is the spring compresor a must? or is it just harder to do with out? just got back from picking up the struts and new wheels
                            yeah linx, is the koni sports

dben:how long did it take you to install all 4 struts? i wanna give it a try tommorow, but i NEED the car to go to school and work for mon
                            Last edited by .XS.; 10-21-2006, 09:58 PM.

Comment

I don't know about the rest of the people who installed them but for me it was a must. It speeds things up and makes things easier. Proper tools for the right job goes a long way. I started at 10pm on the night before my birthday and I was done the next morning at 6am. Keep in mind I had to work in a garage that was closed and only a regular light bulb to light the way. Also, my brother helped me along the way. A good helper is ALWAYS a good thing to have.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

well lets say it didnt go so well today to say the least, but at least i know how to doit now. went to put in the new struts a realised i didnt have the right nut for the rear struts...........
                                i bought the struts used on sat night......but since it was dark i didnt notice the rear struts had ripped boots(one more than the other), does that mean they are blown? the fronts look ok but havent installed them.

lesson of the day: dont buy a used suspension...........had to learn that one the hard way.....
                                -Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X