Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Brake lights all dont work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake lights all dont work

Today I put my old Red/Clear tail-lights on my Girlfriend's CB7, after everything was bolted and plugged up we tested the tail lights, and NONE of the Brake lights work. Even the 3rd tail light up by the window (All bulbs worked perfect before the tail light swap..

The running lights, Blinkers, and reverse lights all STILL DO work.. just no brake lights light up when brake pedal is pushed down.
    I checked the fuses, nothing was blown.

I specifically replaced the Backup/ Meter-lights 10a in the kick panel fuse-box & checked the "small light" fuse, under hood. Nothing has worked so far. bulbs are all fairly new.
    Checked every fuse on the car and they are all good according to my tester.
    Tried wiggling the harness and the wires, to no avail.
    Tried plugging in her old tail lights and still no brake lights,

Any ideas? Much appreciated
    It's her daily driver and I cant have her driving her CB7 around town like this, don't want her to get in an accident like I had.

May be you have a bad ground somewhere.

Comment

Do the old lights work?
      Do you have any brake lights on in the dash? (indicating something is broken)

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
        Do the old lights work?
        Do you have any brake lights on in the dash? (indicating something is broken)
        I tried plugging in her old lights, they didn't light up when the brake is pushed.
        Nope, the indicator that lets me know my brake lights are out on the cluster is not on, acts normal even know the brake lights don't work.

Comment

Did you check the brake light switch? The rubber piece on the pedal that makes contact with the switch tends to break off at this age, the switch itself might be bad too(for this you can check for power at the bulb connector while brakes are being applied or ground depending on how switch is wired)
          [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
            Did you check the brake light switch? The rubber piece on the pedal that makes contact with the switch tends to break off at this age, the switch itself might be bad too(for this you can check for power at the bulb connector while brakes are being applied or ground depending on how switch is wired)
            If it was the rubber/plastic piece that broke his brake lights would be constantly on. But it could be the switch like you mentioned.
            ~Nick~
            FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
            MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
              If it was the rubber/plastic piece that broke his brake lights would be constantly on. But it could be the switch like you mentioned.
              Actually depends on design whether it presses or depresses the mechanism on the switch(not aware on which is on Cb)
              [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

On the cb when the switch is pressed in lights go out. So he would need someone to hold the brakes applied to check for power at the lights.
                ~Nick~
                FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                  On the cb when the switch is pressed in lights go out. So he would need someone to hold the brakes applied to check for power at the lights.
                  Agreed. Get your manual, take a volt meter to the tail lights switch in the trunk and check for voltage. Sounds like a bad switch or bad ground. Most likely a bad ground. Get someone to hold the brakes on and wiggle the wires going into the white connectors in the trunk. Black wire = ground.

Comment

Your best bet from what u are describing would be to check that brake switch bud..

Comment

Hmmmm

I was thinking the switch behind the brake pedal as well but since he said he tried to put back in the old lights and they worked means the problem could be in the tail lights them self.

are your 50 50 lights new or used?
                      if used did they come with the harness inside already?

if so swap harness from the original tail lights and you should be good.

but also take the bulbs out an inspect the filament inside the thin wire should NOT be broken. if it is a single filament it is used only for reverse or turn signal . all brake bulbs should have two filaments in each bulb.

if all the bulbs check out then inspect the lead contacts in the socket for for wear or corrosion. NEXT take a test light and probe for power with light switch on . also have some press brake pedal and probe for power.

GOOD LUCK
                      a person who looks at somthing and see it as waste is no person at all but he who see what it could be will suceed
                      out with the old and in with the new

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                        I tried getting the Brake Light Switch off yesterday, got the clip un-plugged but getting the nut the switch off in 5 degree weather isn't easy. My gf has a bunch of auto-start BS down in that area making it hard to move a wrench. Going to try again when she gets home for lunch. I bought a Multi-meter specifically for diagnosing the problem, trying to get the hang of it.

Comment

Originally posted by alex_eats_rice View Post
                          I tried getting the Brake Light Switch off yesterday, got the clip un-plugged but getting the nut the switch off in 5 degree weather isn't easy. My gf has a bunch of auto-start BS down in that area making it hard to move a wrench. Going to try again when she gets home for lunch. I bought a Multi-meter specifically for diagnosing the problem, trying to get the hang of it.
                          Oh darn I just now seen you are in Alaska lol you guys have "real winters" up there lol unlike us down in south Texas

Comment

Originally posted by sheltonm View Post
                            May be you have a bad ground somewhere.
                            Where would I go about looking for a bad ground? Is it in the trunk area?
                            I followed the brake light harness headed to the front of the car, don't want to start ripping the trunk apart I don't need to.

Comment

Originally posted by 7beast View Post
                              Oh darn I just now seen you are in Alaska lol you guys have "real winters" up there lol unlike us down in south Texas
                              Yeah the winters up here in AK are a pain in the ass. Makes it kind of hard to do any type of work or troubleshooting on a vehicle outside. (I have no garage, doesn't help haha)

I actually installed HID's on my cb in -7 degree weather, I just bundled up with 5 or 6 layers of sweaters, a coat and snow pants and stuck it out. Then crashed it a week later. :/

Comment

Working...
                              X