Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

can a f22a1 handle a turbo?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can a f22a1 handle a turbo?

I recently inherited my sister's 10th anniversary accord. auto sadly.. my question is, can I run a turbo through it without it blowing up. this is the kit im planning on buying: http://www.fastwayracer.com/p2959/90...duct_info.html
    my brother tells me it can't be done.. so I thought i'd ask fellow cb7 owners.. is doing any mods to it worth it?.. thanks.

It can be done and has been done, but if you want it to last more than a few months you need to build the bottom end for it and at the minimum replace your cast alum pistons. It is not just a kit deal.

Comment

With forged pistons, yes. With a properly tuned ECU, yes. With a boost level low enough that it won't crack a stock sleeve, yes.

I wouldn't touch that kit with a 10 foot pole, however. 90-96 Accord? That covers the 4th generation (90-93) and 3/4 of the 5th generation (90-97 is the 5th generation). So clearly, they don't even know what years their kit is "made for". Furthermore, the 5th generation Accords have a totally different exhaust port pattern... 0_00_0 as opposed to the 4th generation's 0_0_0_0.
      They say the kit will work with F22A, H23A, and F23A. F22A (all) will work. Non-VTEC H23A models will work (be it USDM H23A1, or JDM H23A). The VTEC H23A models will have different mounting holes on the exhaust manifold, much like an H22A. The F23A (all) have the same exhaust port setup as the 5th generation Accords... and therefore will not work.

Also, all 10AE models are automatic. The automatic transmission presents added complications when dealing with turbo. Programming the ECU is more complicated, and the 20 year old transmissions are often worn (usually due to neglect... so few people realize the importance of changing fluid regularly, or using proper OEM fluid.) Pump that much torque through a worn transmission, and you're going to end up with a paperweight real quick.

So, can it be done? Absolutely. With proper precautions. Can YOU do it? Not without a hell of a lot more research.

Comment

Welcome to the forums!
        Yes, the real question is how long will it run before blowing up. I suggest spending alot of time in the Forced Induction forums.
        I wouldn't trust any "bolt on" turbo kit, you still have to tune and it's no telling the quality of the parts used.

Also the auto just adds another timebomb to the equation.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

And before you simply derive what you want to from that response understand what it means for your engine to fail with a turbo. The best case scenario is broken ring lands which will render extremely low compression and the inability to make the power required even to commute. Your car will somewhat drive, but will be a slug. A worse scenario would be to throw a rod which will render the block, crank and most of the pistons as useless. If its bad enough it will send the stray piston into the head and bend the valves. You will need the replacement engine that you would then realize should have been the purchase you make now.

Buy a spare engine, rebuild it with stronger components, get over the fact that boosting with any semblance of reliability isn't cheap and proceed with the turbo "kit" purchase.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

A broken ring land would score up the cylinder wall pretty good as well, I'd imagine.

The only really useful parts of that kit would be the charge piping (assuming it actually is all the right size... which I doubt, given the criticisms made in my first reply), and that cast iron manifold with the wastegate flange (making it slightly better than a used DSM manifold.) The intercooler may be passable for a mild kit.
            I wouldn't trust the turbo, wastegate, or blow off valve. The oil return lines may be alright, but if the fittings are crappy, you'll leak oil.
            Even so, the manifold will likely crack very soon, and the piping is probably very low-grade metal (aluminum, I imagine), and most likely won't last.

To PROPERLY boost an F22A, you should expect to spend a minimum of $6000.

Comment

the main thing is, i just want it to go faster. is there anything i can do to add some hp without spending thousands of dollars? im a broke highschool student.. looks like i need to get into the dope business. hahaha

Comment

The best thing you can do is learn. Learn the right ways to do things, learn the important parts necessary to do what you want, and learn what parts are not important to achieving your goals.
                Doing it the right way will be more expensive initially, but it will be cheaper in the long run... with MUCH better results. Save your money, stay focused, buy ONLY the parts you need to accomplish your goal (it's so easy to blow all your money on cheap unnecessary upgrades... a $50 header might give you 4hp, and you can have it NOW... but it won't help you one bit in your turbo plans.) Don't buy wheels. Don't buy a body kit. Don't buy an audio system. If you have limited funds, only buy what you need to accomplish this one goal. Once you've reached your goal, then you can start working towards a new one. But stick to one goal at a time, or you'll never accomplish anything.

Read the "sticky" threads at the top of every section on this forum, and you'll get an idea of what your options are... and what costs are involved.

Comment

Hey guys, correct me if Im wrong but couldn't the op add something like 30-40hp by converting to an f22a6 from an f22a1?

For the interst of the turbo conversation, I don't understand why anyone would take a "kit" over the DSM route.

My opinion. The kit will fail. The dsm route, may not look as blingy, but it will be reliable.
                  Originally posted by wed3k
                  im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

^^^
                    This is the truth, I know I have a bad habit of making multiple goals.
                    Also the classifieds section here is a good place to buy good parts from members that may have abandoned their plans.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                      Hey guys, correct me if Im wrong but couldn't the op add something like 30-40hp by converting to an f22a6 from an f22a1?

For the interst of the turbo conversation, I don't understand why anyone would take a "kit" over the DSM route.

My opinion. The kit will fail. The dsm route, may not look as blingy, but it will be reliable.
                      Yes, that's what i was getting at with my suggestion to read the stickies... as that's where the thread I created can be found!
                      An A6 conversion will only add about 15hp (a bit less due to 20 years of wear and tear, surely.) Other things, such as an H22A/H23A plenum and throttle body, a plenum spacer, a cheap 2.36" exhaust (as long as sound isn't terribly important), a cheap short ram intake, and a proper tune up MIGHT push the output to 150hp (crank)

And yes, the DSM setup is higher quality, for sure. A rebuilt 14b would be a much better option than that cheap crap in the kit. There's little difference between that kit and a DSM setup, really... aside from component quality (and cost.)
                      The only thing I do like better about this kit is the external wastegate flange. I like external over internal (especially when dealing with old used internal wastegates.) Of course, a manifold like that could be sourced independently from that kit... or a DSM manifold could be drilled and a flange added.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        A broken ring land would score up the cylinder wall pretty good as well, I'd imagine.
                        A lot of times the ring pack does a good job of holding everything together. Not always, but you'd be surprised.
                        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I'm fortunate enough to never have broken one!
                          I would have, had I not crashed my turbo project before the turbo went on. Stock block... t25 turbo. I pretty much planned on blowing it up.

Comment

Also once you go turbo you HAVE to buy high octane gas. As gas prices soar you might consider the full cost of this upgrade.

I agree with toycar, get the f22a6 conversion started. It is all Honda and you know that it will work. Also as a high school student, it would be safer if you learned to use low amounts of hp and torque safely first then move on to the moar powa addiction. You car body will thank you later and so will your wallet.

Comment

Turbo will also eat a lot more of that expensive gas, unless you stay out of boost... and seriously, who does that?

I have a 6.0L V8 that CAN get up to 25mpg. I average 12-14mpg. 93 octane. It gets expensive, but driving it like a grandma is a waste of its purpose!

Comment

Working...
                              X