CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Suspension

Old 12-25-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
lbus9168
Contributing Member

lbus9168 may have said something they shouldn't have...
Cb9 5 stud swap - don't flame already researched!

Hey guys.

Saving up parts right now for my wagon. It has rear discs so I'd assume it is the equivelant of the "ex" wagon in the u.s.

2 questions.

1st. Rear 5 stud. I should be able to use a 5th gen prelude hub with itr discs, from what I've seen the spindle nut needs to be shallower, is that correct?

2nd. (Most important question). I've seen that the oddsey/prelude hub is slightly too large for the accord bearing, does anyone have an accurate (preferably metric) measurement to show the difference between hubs, as I have a mechanical engineer friend who can machine the hub for me, so if anyone could help with those measurements (so I can make sure its worthwhile) before proceeding let me know.

I'll be using the OEM wagon caliper (same as prelude) and prelude front discs, I'll look to confirm that the caliper bracket is 23 or 25t but it should work.
Thanks guys.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Last edited by lbus9168; 12-25-2016 at 10:22 PM.
lbus9168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
SSMAccord
CB7tuner Member

SSMAccord seems to have made some friends! SSMAccord seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via Yahoo to SSMAccord
For the rear spindle nut, a shallower nut would allow the nut to be staked if it is a nut that has that provision. The way that the Prelude nut seats, the staking "lip" doesn't seat far enough onto the shaft to allow it to be staked in place.
SSMAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #3
lbus9168
Contributing Member

Okay, so i think i have three options from that point of view. i can try and source a different nut,

i could try and machine the mounting surface slightly to allow the oem nut to be used,

or i could drill a hole through the Thread where it would get staked and use a heavy duty lock pin.

I think option no.3 looks best.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:25 AM   #4
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
The rear wagon knuckles have a spindle shaft that is too great in diameter for use with the '97-'01 Prelude rear hub/bearing. You would need to swap rear knuckles with a rear knuckle from a coupe/sedan. However, since the wagon adopted the later standard for control arm spacing, you would need the rear knuckle from a '94-'97 coupe/sedan. As you are trying to retain the rear disc setup, these knuckles would have to be rear-disc compatible as well.

For the front, you're going to need a different knuckle. You could have the correct Prelude or Odyssey hub turned on a lathe, but that doesn't account for any difference in depth that may be there. I'm not saying there is, as I don't know. It would be much more cost-effective for you to just go grab a pair of front knuckles from a '98-'02 CG Accord V6. Here's one that someone is wrecking in Sydney, which looks to be a 3 hour drive for you. That's just the first one I found, but I didn't see anything in the ACT.

Your current calipers will bolt right up to this knuckle and fit directly over the rotor. No changes to anything needed at all. It's the same lower ball joint, so that fits right into your lower control arm, as well as the outer tie rod end and upper control arm. It just works.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:44 AM   #5
lbus9168
Contributing Member

Wow Jarrett, that's a really informative post thank you.

I have read before about the control arm spacing being different but the spindle shaft being different is something new!

So according to this thread (which I've seen before but I ignored because I saw something about it not working but now I can't find that ) I'll need s5 stamped knuckle, is that correct? As apparently 98-99 does not work, unless I've missed something.

So for the rear, still use the prelude hub but I require the 94-97 sedan knuckle?

Thanks again

Old 12-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #6
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
I went with Lee's information on the stamping for a while, but I can't seem to find anything that validates it with part numbers. I think he may be mistaken, in truth. You should be fine with any of the CG-chassis Accord's knuckles with 5-lug hubs.

For the rear, you are correct.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:46 PM   #7
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

CyborgGT seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
The rear wagon knuckles have a spindle shaft that is too great in diameter for use with the '97-'01 Prelude rear hub/bearing. You would need to swap rear knuckles with a rear knuckle from a coupe/sedan. However, since the wagon adopted the later standard for control arm spacing, you would need the rear knuckle from a '94-'97 coupe/sedan. As you are trying to retain the rear disc setup, these knuckles would have to be rear-disc compatible as well.
Looking at part numbers (sedan, wagon), would using coupe/sedan rear arms on a wagon solve the alignment issue and allow you to stick with CB parts, using the coupe/sedan knuckles? Trailing arms are the same, but the other three aren't. I have FFC LCAs and toe arms sitting in wait for my wagon; I assume they were designed for coupe/sedan use. I'm just trying to keep the number of cars I collect parts from to a minimum.

So, rear:
- CB coupe/sedan knuckles, LCA+toe+upper arms
- BB6 hubs+bearings+nut
- DC2R discs
- If I were to end up in an LX wagon with drums, EX wagon brake calipers+hardware, as willbill was explaining in the last post, would be a slight upgrade in pad performance over the coupe/sedan brakes, correct? Has anyone even found a factory 'big brake upgrade' for the rear yet, to balance out the RL/TL-S calipers for the front? I might have to do some of my own experimenting there, with post-2000 Accord and Acura parts. That's a whole 'nother thread, though.

Project CB9 AeroR start-up: //////////
Slowly but surely... and gunning for that NA list!

Last edited by CyborgGT; 08-12-2019 at 05:35 AM.
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:57 AM   #8
Jarrett
Contributing Member

When I say spacing, I'm referring to how far apart the L toe arm and L lower control arm are from each other. Same for the right side. I'm not talking about control arm length. The wagon control arms already are the same length as the coupe and sedan.

So the '94-'97 Accord EX coupe/sedan models are still the only way to retain the control arm spacing the wagon rear subframe has, while providing a spindle shaft of necessary dimension for the Prelude hub.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: