CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > 4th Gen-eral > Off Topic > Computers and Video Games

Old 04-30-2019, 07:54 PM   #1
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

Grumpys93 seems to have made some friends!
Recommendation for WiFi extender

So because of the placement of the router I am in need of a WiFi extender for security cameras. My current router is Nighthawk X4S model R7800. I donít want to get a whole new system, as this router is fairly new. So any techs out there have any recommendations?
FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93
Grumpys93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:35 AM   #2
af_1132
CB7tuner Member

af_1132 is cool... so far.
Send a message via Skype™ to af_1132
I used the Netgear dual band extender back in 2012 when I rented a room in a house with the main router at the other end of the house, and it worked flawlessly.

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
"Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
af_1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:46 AM   #3
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
Lately DLink has pissed me off and I've been trying TP-Link units. They are surprisingly good! Has lot's of options in the software settings, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC175...tronics&sr=1-3

What grinds my gears is how they now have units with different speeds / power ratings. WAP 300/700/1200/1900, dual band, etc. I miss the old days where it was one unit, top of the line. I also miss how some WAP/routers don't do bridging mode anymore.

Last edited by Raf99; 05-01-2019 at 04:49 AM.
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #4
HappyGilmore
AKA Gillymomo

HappyGilmore seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to HappyGilmore Send a message via MSN to HappyGilmore Send a message via Yahoo to HappyGilmore Send a message via Skype™ to HappyGilmore
Wifi extenders are bad as they halve your throughput for connection. If your security cameras have ethernet on them the best way is to do a bridge with WDS.

As for the speeds, those I know are confusing as hell. So when you see 1900 it's really 1300 + 600 (5Ghz and 2.4GHz). Of course that is not exact and is theoretical. I could go on and on about this as this is what I do for a living, you should both hop in the discord BAC and I would be more than happy to help you real time with what it is you are looking for!
Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
92 LX Coupe F22A1
2013 Toyota Corolla S
92 EX Sedan F22A1
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)
HappyGilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #5
BreckAConner
CB7tuner Member

BreckAConner is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore View Post
Wifi extenders are bad as they halve your throughput for connection. If your security cameras have ethernet on them the best way is to do a bridge with WDS.

As for the speeds, those I know are confusing as hell. So when you see 1900 it's really 1300 + 600 (5Ghz and 2.4GHz). Of course that is not exact and is theoretical. I could go on and on about this as this is what I do for a living, you should both hop in the discord BAC and I would be more than happy to help you real time with what it is you are looking for!
You don't think bridging an AP would work? I have ubiquiti radios that bridge to my shop for my camera out there. I can take pictures and show you my setup.

Last edited by BreckAConner; 05-01-2019 at 08:13 PM.
BreckAConner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:05 PM   #6
toycar
CB7tuner Member

toycar is very helpful toycar is very helpful toycar is very helpful
Tp link for the win

If adamant in WiFi, check out the net gear nighthawk line

Very solid units
toycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:07 PM   #7
Tishock
Contributing Member

Tishock is someone to admire Tishock is someone to admire Tishock is someone to admire
He currently has a nighthawk router with bridge mode capabilities. You just need a second router. No need to replace the nighthawk with something else

Tishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:44 PM   #8
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tishock View Post
He currently has a nighthawk router with bridge mode capabilities. You just need a second router. No need to replace the nighthawk with something else
See I have no clue I could do that. Does the second router have to be connected to an Ethernet cable?

I am totally dumb on computers, WiFi that kinda stuff. So act as if I’m a 2 year old learning how to write my name, when it comes to computers.
FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
Old 05-03-2019, 04:56 PM   #9
Ralphie
Stalker

Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpys93 View Post
See I have no clue I could do that. Does the second router have to be connected to an Ethernet cable?

I am totally dumb on computers, WiFi that kinda stuff. So act as if Iím a 2 year old learning how to write my name, when it comes to computers.
I may be wrong, but I believe you CAN connect two routers wirelessly, but the 2nd router will only work as an access point, not an actual router.

Could be wrong, but last time I checked, that was the deal.
Ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #10
toycar
CB7tuner Member

toycar is very helpful toycar is very helpful toycar is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphie View Post
I may be wrong, but I believe you CAN connect two routers wirelessly, but the 2nd router will only work as an access point, not an actual router.

Could be wrong, but last time I checked, that was the deal.
Basically yes. Second router can only distribute connection speed that it is receiving

So if the WiFi signal is weak where the second router is placed, it will have a setting wireless connection with slow speed

TP link is fantastic
toycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #11
BreckAConner
CB7tuner Member

BreckAConner is cool... so far.
Did you're wall adapters ever work out for you?
BreckAConner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:54 AM   #12
HappyGilmore
AKA Gillymomo

HappyGilmore seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to HappyGilmore Send a message via MSN to HappyGilmore Send a message via Yahoo to HappyGilmore Send a message via Skype™ to HappyGilmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreckAConner View Post
You don't think bridging an AP would work? I have ubiquiti radios that bridge to my shop for my camera out there. I can take pictures and show you my setup.
That's the best way to do it. Those wall repeaters are just trash as a whole.
Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
92 LX Coupe F22A1
2013 Toyota Corolla S
92 EX Sedan F22A1
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)
HappyGilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #13
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

I ended up returning them. Didn’t even open the package.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: