CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Jon
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Treasure Valley Idaho
Posts: 1,752
Jon is very helpful Jon is very helpful
Oil dripping, possible ideas?

I have a oil drip and it seems to be coming from right around the timing belt cover (lower not upper). So something is leaking and the oil is migrating.

From a quick visual the valve cover seems to be fine, front and back show no signs of leakage. Same goes for the oil pan, it's as clean as a whistle.

I haven't pulled the driver's side fender well liner off yet to see if I can't spot where it's coming from, but I will be doing that in the next day or so.

My question is, does anyone have a rough ideas of where this oil drip/leak could be coming from? I know... it's like diagnosing an illness over the phone, kinda hard to do. I'm just trying to come up with a few possible ideas before I start taking stuff apart.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
C91BLX7
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Elgin
Posts: 10,050
C91BLX7 is very helpful C91BLX7 is very helpful C91BLX7 is very helpful
Balance shaft probably.
__________________
wat?
C91BLX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
H22Artman
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,377
H22Artman is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frootloops View Post
I have a oil drip and it seems to be coming from right around the timing belt cover (lower not upper). So something is leaking and the oil is migrating.

From a quick visual the valve cover seems to be fine, front and back show no signs of leakage. Same goes for the oil pan, it's as clean as a whistle.

I haven't pulled the driver's side fender well liner off yet to see if I can't spot where it's coming from, but I will be doing that in the next day or so.

My question is, does anyone have a rough ideas of where this oil drip/leak could be coming from? I know... it's like diagnosing an illness over the phone, kinda hard to do. I'm just trying to come up with a few possible ideas before I start taking stuff apart.
sounds like any number of the seals behind the timing cover could be leaking.
crank, cam, oil pump, etc.....

pull the cover and its likely that you will find your problem.
__________________

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112
H22Artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
batever
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western MA, USA
Posts: 1,642
batever is cool... so far.
Hi, frootloops!

maybe one of the seals under the timing covers--balance shaft seals or even camshaft seal? Or maybe the balance shaft access bolt has loosened and some is leaking out under the sealing washer.

good luck.
batever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
Jon
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Treasure Valley Idaho
Posts: 1,752
Jon is very helpful Jon is very helpful
Thanks for the input guys.

I'll pull the cover off, see what I have and report back. Just not looking forward to doing it right now, I'd rather finish up my intake swap...
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:57 AM   #6
QUICKwitit
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 415
QUICKwitit is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to QUICKwitit
might as well do it as once while you do the intake swap
QUICKwitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:09 AM   #7
blackice
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Redmond, Washington State
Posts: 1,575
blackice is cool... so far.
definitely read this thread http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=16228
__________________

Retired 1990 Accord LX Coupe
Project 240SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin943
anyone kno if i can just make a hot wire for v-tec off the horn??
Vouches: Bought from: smseagren83, phatdoughnut, uk - accord, lucid, iamnemo, accord_inspire, 2point6, chopstickz, djcaz_aom, rosko
blackice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:34 AM   #8
Leung
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3,507
Leung is someone to admire Leung is someone to admire Leung is someone to admire
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackice View Post
is that about the camshaft seal retainer clip? i figured everyone would have ran out and had one installed already.


to the OP which engine do you have?

theres a girl i work with that says she's losing oil somewhere in the rear, so i'm thinking it's the oil cooler plate that is behind the oil filter on her '93 SE. i just need to make my way over there to visually inspect it.
__________________

Last edited by Leung; 10-02-2008 at 02:41 AM.
Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
Jon
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Treasure Valley Idaho
Posts: 1,752
Jon is very helpful Jon is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKwitit View Post
might as well do it as once while you do the intake swap
Yep. I'm going to have a ton of shit torn apart so a lot of gaskets and seals are getting replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leung View Post
is that about the camshaft seal retainer clip? i figured everyone would have ran out and had one installed already.


to the OP which engine do you have?

theres a girl i work with that says she's losing oil somewhere in the rear, so i'm thinking it's the oil cooler plate that is behind the oil filter on her '93 SE. i just need to make my way over there to visually inspect it.
I have a A1. Drip just started happening so it's getting fixed asap. I'm making everyone drive me around/do stuff for me so it can sit on the driveway.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
Jon
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Treasure Valley Idaho
Posts: 1,752
Jon is very helpful Jon is very helpful
Does anyone know if there is a gasket set that TASAuto carries that has all of the necessary gaskets/seals in it to do a timing belt change, water pump, balance shaft seals, camshaft seals, etc.? I've just been going through adding all of the different gaskets/seals to my cart and I honestly think I'm missing a few.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #11
deevergote
Don't call me dude.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not New York
Posts: 40,189
deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
I don't know if they have a complete set... but I'll talk to Stephen and see if we can make it happen
__________________






deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #12
Jon
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Treasure Valley Idaho
Posts: 1,752
Jon is very helpful Jon is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote. View Post
I don't know if they have a complete set... but I'll talk to Stephen and see if we can make it happen
Thanks, that would be awesome. Let me know if you can make it happen.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #13
batever
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western MA, USA
Posts: 1,642
batever is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frootloops View Post
Does anyone know if there is a gasket set that TASAuto carries that has all of the necessary gaskets/seals in it to do a timing belt change, water pump, balance shaft seals, camshaft seals, etc.? I've just been going through adding all of the different gaskets/seals to my cart and I honestly think I'm missing a few.
i believe all you need is camshaft seal, 2 balance shaft seals, crankshaft seal if you are going to do it. Front balance shaft seal retainer if you don't have one. If you don't know and you have a local honda dealer, I'd say don't get it and if you discover it's not on, just get it from your local dealer. In any case it's like 6 bucks.

timing belt
balance shafts belt

plus water pump which comes with its own gasket.

that's it.
batever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:07 PM   #14
Jon
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Treasure Valley Idaho
Posts: 1,752
Jon is very helpful Jon is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by batever View Post
i believe all you need is camshaft seal, 2 balance shaft seals, crankshaft seal if you are going to do it. Front balance shaft seal retainer if you don't have one. If you don't know and you have a local honda dealer, I'd say don't get it and if you discover it's not on, just get it from your local dealer. In any case it's like 6 bucks.

timing belt
balance shafts belt

plus water pump which comes with its own gasket.

that's it.
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Yes I have a local Honda dealer, I'll hit them up for the shaft seal retainer.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #15
rodriguezyadir
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: P.R.
Posts: 14
rodriguezyadir may have said something they shouldn't have...
you have to buy new seals for it that's what it is
rodriguezyadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:22 PM   #16
Jon
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Treasure Valley Idaho
Posts: 1,752
Jon is very helpful Jon is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodriguezyadir View Post
you have to buy new seals for it that's what it is
What?
I'm getting all of the seals and gaskets from TASAuto. When I pull it all apart I'll see if I have a retainer. If I don't I'll hit up my local Honda dealer.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:22 AM   #17
GangstaCB7
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: pittsburg, cali
Posts: 615
GangstaCB7 is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frootloops View Post
I have a oil drip and it seems to be coming from right around the timing belt cover (lower not upper). So something is leaking and the oil is migrating.

From a quick visual the valve cover seems to be fine, front and back show no signs of leakage. Same goes for the oil pan, it's as clean as a whistle.

I haven't pulled the driver's side fender well liner off yet to see if I can't spot where it's coming from, but I will be doing that in the next day or so.

My question is, does anyone have a rough ideas of where this oil drip/leak could be coming from? I know... it's like diagnosing an illness over the phone, kinda hard to do. I'm just trying to come up with a few possible ideas before I start taking stuff apart.
>it could actually be ur tranny, that happened to me
GangstaCB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #18
Jon
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Treasure Valley Idaho
Posts: 1,752
Jon is very helpful Jon is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaCB7 View Post
>it could actually be ur tranny, that happened to me
It's definitely oil and not tranny fluid, and boy am I glad it is oil...
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
oil , oil drip , oil leak , timing

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.