05 Accord Hybrid - AT Rattling when shifting between 1st and 2nd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

05 Accord Hybrid - AT Rattling when shifting between 1st and 2nd

My 05 Accord Hybrid started making a rattling noise when shifting between 1st and 2nd gear, both up and down. It sounds like a rattling heat shield, but given the specific and regular occurrence during shifting, I can only guess that it's something internal.

My searching suggests a failing torque converter (this is my first non-manual Honda) but I'm not absolutely certain. If it is the TC, I think it's a pretty pricey repair if I don't want to do it myself (and I'd rally rather not do it myself! )

The noise is not accompanied by any other noticeable issues. The shifts are smooth and quick, there is no vibration, and shifts occur when they should. Aside from the noise, everything seems to be functioning correctly.

Fluid was changed with fresh Honda fluid when I got the car, a little under 2 years ago. Of course, that was probably about 30,000 miles ago, so it's ready to be done again.

My questions are:
    -Will I damage anything more if I continue driving it as it is?
    -Will any harm come from driving it until the TC fully shits the bed?
    -Would a fresh fluid change make the noise go away / prolong the life of the TC?
    -Is there anything else that this noise might be, if not the TC? The hybrid system is Honda's IMS (integrated motor assist). Basically, the electric motor is sandwiched between the trans and the engine. Not sure if that will further complicate matters.

Working...
X