CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > 4th Gen-eral > Racing > Auto-X / Road Racing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
willbill642
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Coolorado
Posts: 102
willbill642 is cool... so far.
Question Suspension and Brakes - what do you run?

After a second track day and having completely ruined my wagon rotors, I'm looking at getting something better AGAIN. I'm well aware of the time-old combo of prelude calipers/equivalent and 11.1" rotors, I'm running the wagon HOR setup for thicker rotors and Legend 2-pots. Brake feel is incredibly good, and stopping was a significant improvement over the Prelude calipers.

However, the heat buildup on the front rotors is huge. I've warped everything I put up there, so what do you guys use? Anyone running a bigger brake setup? I know of the RL caliper adapters floating around, but I've never seen anyone run it for anything other than looks. Has anyone dealt with the heat buildup in other ways? I've thought of ducting, but I'm not entirely sure how to run that, anyone have ideas?

Part two-brake bias and proportioning valves. Anyone have experience with this? I've heard some recommend the DA 40/40 valve, but I've never actually heard performance results from the swap. Anyone mess with something else? There's some adjustable prop valves from the likes of Wilwood and such, anyone used one of those?

Part three- I've read the long discussion on spring rates, but when it came down to it it has been nothing but speculation and nobody has results in for different spring rates. I'm currently on H&R Race springs and Bilsteins, but the understeer is really not good. I'm looking to pick up a Progressive RSB this summer, but I'm unsure if that will be enough to kill the understeer.
willbill642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:06 PM   #2
Jarrett
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,418
Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
The Progress rear sway bar will help immensely. The H&R Race springs should be doing well enough to prevent the front from diving in during heavy braking, but from how quickly you're wearing parts, the bias still seems heavily situated in the front.

Things to alleviate this:
Run stiff front springs (which you do).
Beef up rear braking.
Put the car on a diet.

I don't know what your rear setup is, or which pad compound you're using all around. If you're running rear drums, I would suggest running rear discs. Are you using stainless lines? If not, they would help ensure that braking efficiency was better, meaning you would not have to hold as long on the pedal to achieve the same braking result. The fluid you run also determines some portion of braking performance. Resistance to boiling will mean less heat retention in the braking system. Another thing to address would be the manufacturer of the rotors you're using.


There are thicker OEM rotors out there, but you'll need to swap to a rotor-over-hub setup or do a 5-lug conversion in order to utilize them.
__________________
My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:09 AM   #3
Darkcloud
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,933
Darkcloud is cool... so far.
I agree with what Jarrett said.

However my question to you is if you warped rotors already what brand did you use, and are they slotted and drilled and if so what was the brand, I would recommend slotted bbc rotors with bbc green pads. Reason being the heat will not be to much of an issue as well as braking. I've read to stay away from drilled rotors as they tend to warp and crack .

Another thing I have to ask your bracing, what kind of strut bars if you're using strut bars, are you using?
Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:21 AM   #4
willbill642
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Coolorado
Posts: 102
willbill642 is cool... so far.
As-is, brake balance is fairly even, although fronts do lock first. I've run Autozone Duralast and Brembo blanks, both of which lasted forever on the street and ~5 laps on a track day. As for brake pads, I'd have to check but I believe it's Stoptech sports at both ends. Also, running a full rear '93 Wagon EX rear setup, so rear discs and 38mm calipers are what's back there with Brembo blanks.

Unfortunately, weight reduction can't go too far, since I still daily the damn thing. Stainless braided lines are on the list, but they're a bit pricey all things considered and a bit low on priorities. I've run DOT 4 then DOT 3 this last time, and I never noticed brake fade. Although, it's hard to compare when you're focused on keeping the car straight from the shaking so there could be differences. DOT 5 is coming up next, but that will come with whatever I do to the front rotors.

I've heard to keep away from drilled or slotted rotors because it creates hotspots and warps or cracks easier. I can't imagine a few slits would actually reduce the chance of warping.

Jarrett- Do you have a recommendation for thicker rotors? I know of Legend 28mm rotors, but that's a 5 lug swap and a bunch of new wheels. I have no problem going ROH, I just haven't seen any >23mm 4x114 rotors available.

Darkcloud- Strut bars are planned along with the Progress RSB, but with ESP basically out of business I have no idea what to go with. I see Ultra Racing bars on FleaBay that look pretty substantial, and I've heard good things from some of the MX5 guys about other products. Have any recommendations for a strut bar?

Something else since we're talking suspension-front traction bars. I've thought about getting one just to have more downpipe clearance when I finally build up a turbo motor, but is there any noticable handling improvements?
willbill642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #5
Rilas
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 491
Rilas seems to have made some friends!
For FSB's your best bet would be to contact ESP and see if he is willing to make a couple of one off's. He may be willing to. If that isn't an option then I would have to say that Ultra Racing would be your next best bet. Any strut bar with hinged points in it isn't going to do much for the car as it can still flex with the car to an extent. I noticed a huge difference going from my bolted together eBay bar to the solid Ultra Racing front strut bar on my sedan. I'm sure with the 3 point ESP bar in the coupe it's going to be an even larger difference. I just haven't driven the coupe yet with all it's suspension upgrades. The Ultra Racing bars are quality stuff.
Rilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #6
Darkcloud
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,933
Darkcloud is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbill642 View Post
As-is, brake balance is fairly even, although fronts do lock first. I've run Autozone Duralast and Brembo blanks, both of which lasted forever on the street and ~5 laps on a track day. As for brake pads, I'd have to check but I believe it's Stoptech sports at both ends. Also, running a full rear '93 Wagon EX rear setup, so rear discs and 38mm calipers are what's back there with Brembo blanks.

Unfortunately, weight reduction can't go too far, since I still daily the damn thing. Stainless braided lines are on the list, but they're a bit pricey all things considered and a bit low on priorities. I've run DOT 4 then DOT 3 this last time, and I never noticed brake fade. Although, it's hard to compare when you're focused on keeping the car straight from the shaking so there could be differences. DOT 5 is coming up next, but that will come with whatever I do to the front rotors.

I've heard to keep away from drilled or slotted rotors because it creates hotspots and warps or cracks easier. I can't imagine a few slits would actually reduce the chance of warping.

Jarrett- Do you have a recommendation for thicker rotors? I know of Legend 28mm rotors, but that's a 5 lug swap and a bunch of new wheels. I have no problem going ROH, I just haven't seen any >23mm 4x114 rotors available.

Darkcloud- Strut bars are planned along with the Progress RSB, but with ESP basically out of business I have no idea what to go with. I see Ultra Racing bars on FleaBay that look pretty substantial, and I've heard good things from some of the MX5 guys about other products. Have any recommendations for a strut bar?

Something else since we're talking suspension-front traction bars. I've thought about getting one just to have more downpipe clearance when I finally build up a turbo motor, but is there any noticable handling improvements?
Anything thick like Cusco, I have a Falken bar but I'm changing plans for a custom tower bar. Stay away from cheap bars like Megan their bars flex a lot. Ur is a good brand haven't tried. I may give it a go with them soon. I have heard that their fender braces keeps the car in check which that may help with braking.

I say don't get a traction bar yet. I say get the energy suspension for the from cross member. That actually helped me hold better. If you don't already have that kit I say buy replace your bushings.
Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:23 AM   #7
willbill642
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Coolorado
Posts: 102
willbill642 is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcloud View Post
Anything thick like Cusco, I have a Falken bar but I'm changing plans for a custom tower bar. Stay away from cheap bars like Megan their bars flex a lot. Ur is a good brand haven't tried. I may give it a go with them soon. I have heard that their fender braces keeps the car in check which that may help with braking.

I say don't get a traction bar yet. I say get the energy suspension for the from cross member. That actually helped me hold better. If you don't already have that kit I say buy replace your bushings.
Hahaha..I actually have the Energy suspension kit sitting around. I should probably get around to putting all the bushings and such in.

As for the bars, I think I'll grab a pair of Ultra Racing bars for the front and back, then just build some solid bars once I've got welding down or grab some ESP bars if a group buy happens when I've got the cash.


Now to brakes-I still have no idea what to do. Just grab some new Wagon rotors, remove the dust shield, and create some brake ducts..? Go ROH and drill some Legend rotors while also trying to find 28T brakets? Go even bigger brakes? I know the 99'-04' RL has something like 11.8" and special brackets, but I don't think that will fit under my daily 15" rims. Arrrggh..
willbill642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #8
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,532
CyborgGT is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcloud View Post
However my question to you is if you warped rotors already what brand did you use, and are they slotted and drilled and if so what was the brand, I would recommend slotted bbc rotors with bbc green pads. Reason being the heat will not be to much of an issue as well as braking. I've read to stay away from drilled rotors as they tend to warp and crack .
Old post, but I feel I must add personal experience to this. If you mean EBC, then don't get Green Stuff pads for heavy use. They're more of an OEM replacement. I used to have them, and they faded just like stock in my mountain runs. Not to mention, my slotted discs tore right through them. I upgraded to Hawk HPS and they've been much better for my street car, but probably still aren't something you'd want to track.

I hear that EBC discs, at least their common stuff like the Black Dashes that I have, don't hold up well to heavy duty pads and track use. I think mine might be slightly warped, and after three years (most of it with HPS pads) they're developing a lip.
__________________

Project CB9 AeroR start-up: //////////
Slowly but surely... and gunning for that NA list!
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #9
deevergote
Don't call me dude.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not New York
Posts: 40,100
deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
A friend of mine had some EBC Green Stuff pads lose their friction material after a very short time. It just fell off the backing plate. I always liked the company based on reputation, but after that, they're low on my list of consideration, for sure.
Hawk seems to have a VERY long-running good reputation around here. I have no experience with them either, but when I start hitting the track, Hawk is going to be my first choice.

That being said, the StopTech rotors and Centric pads I just installed on my CTS-V are working nicely. Fully broken in. I haven't done any truly spirited driving with them yet, but my braking is HUGELY improved over the stuff that was on there previously (OEM replacement, I assume... though OEM on a CTS-V should be pretty beefy...)
__________________






deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:09 PM   #10
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spring Tx
Posts: 453
Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
brakes

I only have wagon front uprade, rear disk conversion, prop valve upgrade, stainless steel brake lines, prelude master cyl on centric rotors and wagner ceramics on the CB.
Wagon brake upgrade, centric rotors and wagner ceramics on the CD. stainless hoses are next.

Come to rhink about it i have wagner on all my vehicles.
__________________
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.