Clear All

do you have a swap too ben?
    1cor10:31
    - 92 LX coupe
    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by timmy0tool View Post
      thanks guys!

johnny a test-only center is the only center we can take our cars to. in-ground dynos are way better.

kane, i can't drive too far since my tags are already expired (july) so driving down to national city is outta the question. thanks though! i still have my helms so i'll do some cleaning/checking when i have the time.

joesue, it's hard to adjust timing on my fidanza flywheel since i only see one notch so really all i know is that it's neither advanced or retarded some since it's right on the marker. what spark plugs do you recommend?
      With the service connector bridged and engine fully warm, put the timming light on the mark and turn the distributor cap towards you, until the light is hitting about 1/4 inch after the mark. That should be about 14 degrees BTDC.

At least I think 1/4" would be a degree, but maybe Joesue knows more accurately.

My swap thread
      Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

do you have a swap too ben?
        I think he does 91 cb w/ h22a4, Im still interested in this thread cause i would like to get my brothers car jdm dohc f22b smogged so i can drive it again...

Sold, but not forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Blk EX Coupe View Post
          You should have gone to the DMV and paid the registration fee and asked for an extension. They'll give you a sticker to put on the back window, so cops won't harass you for driving with expired tags while you try and get it smogged.
          I'd still be careful. Expired tags w/ that little temporary sticker is always going to be 'probable cause' for any cop to pull you over. If you catch a cop on the wrong day, they'll pull you over and check up on you just to make their dick hard.

Comment

Originally posted by XLR Azn View Post
            I'd still be careful. Expired tags w/ that little temporary sticker is always going to be 'probable cause' for any cop to pull you over. If you catch a cop on the wrong day, they'll pull you over and check up on you just to make their dick hard.
            Most cops just see expired tags and don't look for the paper, but most of the time that I've seen people pulled over for it the cop ends up saying, "Sorry, I didn't see that paper on your window before. You can go now."

Comment

Originally posted by bacal36 View Post

!
              my last smog I was 1 pt below the CO% max. Max was 789 and I believe I measured 788.

This was before my tune up from jesus.

Hopefully I wont have to change out my cat before I smog again in March.

Comment

Originally posted by Blk EX Coupe View Post
                Most cops just see expired tags and don't look for the paper, but most of the time that I've seen people pulled over for it the cop ends up saying, "Sorry, I didn't see that paper on your window before. You can go now."
                yeah i have tint too so it will be hard to see that piece of paper. plus i hate hanging out in the DMV, and just to get that paper. i'll just risk it. cops over here, and everywhere in socal, are biased so they will pull you over just for kicks as clint said.

thanks kane on that insight. my fidanza flywheel is hard to read but i'll give it a shot to 14deg BTDC.

and paul just go to an unsuspecting smog place and just put your bro's car on the dyno and see it's numbers. i think with all smog components and a new cat it will burn clean!
                - 92 LX coupe
                - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

tim, not sure of the correct number, but just buy a platinum plug (not iridium) that has like 1 number higher than yours. for example, I ran zfr5f-11 and failed smog. my numbers were just like yours. I did a valve adj., adj. the timing to 14 degrees, and put zfr6f-11 plugs and passed. nothing major at all. and those spark plugs were used plugs from customer's old parts. LOL. oh, the luxury of working on cars. hahaha. this is what the nitrous guys do, colder plugs and retarded timing.
                  The beginning of a new era............................
                  165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
                  184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

yeah i have tint too so it will be hard to see that piece of paper. plus i hate hanging out in the DMV, and just to get that paper. i'll just risk it. cops over here, and everywhere in socal, are biased so they will pull you over just for kicks as clint said.
                    I have pretty dark tint too, I just put the red sticker on the windshield. Looks ugly, but better to be safe than sorry IMO.
                    Last edited by 4CYLPOWER92; 08-15-2008, 06:19 PM.

My swap thread

Comment

Originally posted by jhondayaaj View Post
                      tim, not sure of the correct number, but just buy a platinum plug (not iridium) that has like 1 number higher than yours. for example, I ran zfr5f-11 and failed smog. my numbers were just like yours. I did a valve adj., adj. the timing to 14 degrees, and put zfr6f-11 plugs and passed. nothing major at all. and those spark plugs were used plugs from customer's old parts. LOL. oh, the luxury of working on cars. hahaha. this is what the nitrous guys do, colder plugs and retarded timing.
                      thanks joesue. looks like i'll be busy for a few days. wish i have more time to tinker with my coupe , or more time to tinker in general.
                      - 92 LX coupe
                      - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by bacal36 View Post
                        Tim,

Were the measurements taken for the F series motor or the H series motor? I am wondering if there is any difference at all for both. I am assuming that when I went to the state ref he took measurements for the prelude motor.

My setup:
                        -JDM H22A
                        -JDM p13
                        -AEM accord intake
                        -stock accord EGR
                        -stock JDM header
                        -OEM 196K catalytic converter
                        -timing at +15deg BTDC (stock setting)
                        -Jesus cleaned my EGR
                        -Jesus cleaned my EGR ports
                        -91 octane gas
                        -Mobil1 Synthetic 10W-30 oil

These are my results.

-Future plans to install stock accord intake, perhaps a new cat., retard timing, and test at a smog station.

I'm with you on this one bro. Lets work this out so we can pass smog! Im not due for another year, but i want to make sure I get what I need so I can pass!
                        looks like you are running too rich. my suggestions are a new cat, get one from pacesetter (high flow bolt on) and a new oem honda o2 sensor from a 95 prelude v tech. also adjust those valves to spec. and put new plugs (ngk) in them. that should help you out a lot.

Comment

defintly get a new cat man, it should lower those numbers.

Comment

ok guys great news, i passed smog! here is what i did to remedy the situation.

first was to clean the EGR system. i removed my EGR valve, which is a pain w/o the right tools and cleaned it out using carb cleaner and a toothbrush. i made sure to remove all the carbon build-up that was there from the f22a. then i started to clean the EGR ports, WITHOUT removing or drilling the service plugs. this is what i did.

i poured seafoam into the runner which is the rectangular hole, not the circular hole where the exhaust gases come from. i poured until it overflowed. then i jacked the pass side WAY up to tilt the car/motor and get the liquid to pour into the ports and runners. then i let it sit for 5 minutes before starting the car. i temporarily hooked up the electrical plug and vac hose to the EGR so when i started the car it won't throw a CEL, but felt it hanging on the side. i let all the carbon and seafoam burn for 5 minutes. i looked at my exhaust tip and found bits of carbon chips that flew out. i would have thought the cat would filter that crap but i guess it didn't.

after the 5 minutes i started to spray carb cleaner into the same rectangular hole. as i sprayed the car would bog since i was flooding the fuel charge, so i would only give small doses of cleaner at a time. i would also hold the rev higher via throttle body and spray some more cleaner in there. i repeated this one more time for good measure. i also tried blowing compressed air into the runner when the motor was both off and on but that always led to carb cleaner splattering all over my face and engine bay . after i saw the shine of aluminum through the holes i was satisfied that it was clean and reinstalled everything back together. i hoped that the ports where as clean too.

next i retarded the timing a tad. if this is stock ->, mine was at _> which isn't too bad i think.

so i brought the car back to the same spot as my first test. i told the same guy that did my smog that i cleaned the EGR ports. this time it went much quicker and faster but i turned the car off while waiting for my turn. this allowed my cat to cool a bit.

when he got to it he still did the LPFET (low pressure fuel evaporative test) like last time but this time he also checked my timing. i was scared that he would find the timing was bad but he didn't and continued with the test (phew!). he did NOT hold the rpms high like he did last time to warm up the cat. he just started the test as he would a normal car. i was scared that the cat wasn't going to be hot enough but here are the results:

meas = amount measured
                            ave = average for passing cars
                            max = maximum allowable
                            (in parenthesis) = first test numbers

15mph test:
                            1991 (1807) RPM
                            %CO2 meas 13.39 (13.68)
                            %O2 meas 1.21 (0.92)
                            HC (PPM) max:116 ave:31 meas:113 (32)
                            CO(%) max:0.74 ave:0.10 meas:.17 (0.03)
                            NO(PPM) max:791 ave:237 meas:0397 (946)

25mph test:
                            2168 (2199) RPM
                            %CO2 meas 13.50 (13.60)
                            %O2 meas 1.26 (1.07)
                            HC (PPM) max:91 ave:20 meas:41 (34)
                            CO(%) max:0.62ave:0.09 meas:0.08 (0.03)
                            NO(PPM) max:730 ave:199 meas:0094 (826)

results:
                            PASS test

after looking at the numbers the %CO2, %O2, HC, and CO% increased from the last time probably due to not heating the cat more . the NO number dropped A LOT by just cleaning the EGR and retarding the timing. amazing!

i did not change anything else other than what i mentioned above. as you can see it is 100% possible to smog a jdm motor WITH a jdm ecu! thanks to all who helped me get this done. hopefully someone finds this stuff important in the future!
                            - 92 LX coupe
                            - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

that is true, I agree with ou tim. you can smog a jdm motor with jdm ecu legally. good job bro. now you have to make everyone elses car pass too. LOL.

Comment

Looks like you actually advanced the timming, but good job, the EGR system made a big difference !

My swap thread

Comment

Working...
                                X