Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Stalls randomly, No Spark, Not The Distributor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalls randomly, No Spark, Not The Distributor

Hello and thanks.
    Ive owned 4 Cb7's over 10 years and never had this happen.

Short story, car runs and stalls and runs and stalls. Dash lights are on, and its getting fuel but no spark. And its not the distributor because i swapped that and no luck.

Here is the long story:
    So it just stalls out while driving home from work. I check that its getting fuel first and its good. So move on to spark, No Spark. I give the distributor housing a smack with a rubber mallet and she starts. So this morning I head to pick and pull salvage for a distributor. I put it on and the car starts for 2 seconds and thin stalls again. This time it wont restart. So I put the old distributor back on and it starts. I drive around my block and it stalls. This time I just pull the key in and out and it starts. next time it stalls this doesnt work.

Please Help, I gotta get it running this is my only to work.
    Thank You

main relay or ignitor in dizzy

how are you checking fuel pressure? can you confirm the pump is actually running when this happens? if it is, id be leaning towards ignitor. if not, prolly main relay.

at least thats where i would stsrt
    Originally posted by wed3k
    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

I would start with a new distributor. You do not know why that particular car was in a wrecking yard. I have had a similar problem in the past with my car and it turned out to be the distributor. I had to replace it twice with new parts (different issue with new distributor), so never assume replacement parts, new or used, are good if you still have a similar issue after replacing that part.

For spark in our cars, you should look at the distributor (cap, rotor, ignitor), the coil, the ground under the thermostat and the ECU. But since you said that if you tap the distributor ti will run, that would be my first go to.
      Originally posted by Junior Smurff
      Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
        main relay or ignitor in dizzy

how are you checking fuel pressure? can you confirm the pump is actually running when this happens? if it is, id be leaning towards ignitor. if not, prolly main relay.

at least thats where i would stsrt
        Im checking fuel pressure by loosening the nut at the fuel filter and turning the ignition to the on position. The fuel pump primes and fuel sprays out.
        I already swaped the dizzy. It started, ran for 5 sexinds and wouldn't start again. Put the old one back on and its back to running and randomly stalling. So figure ive eliminated the igniter and coil.
        Im headed to the junk yard to pull a couple relays and ingitions.
        Thanks for your response. Any further insight or experience would be greatly appreciated.
        Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by 4GAccordH22 View Post
          I would start with a new distributor. You do not know why that particular car was in a wrecking yard. I have had a similar problem in the past with my car and it turned out to be the distributor. I had to replace it twice with new parts (different issue with new distributor), so never assume replacement parts, new or used, are good if you still have a similar issue after replacing that part.

For spark in our cars, you should look at the distributor (cap, rotor, ignitor), the coil, the ground under the thermostat and the ECU. But since you said that if you tap the distributor ti will run, that would be my first go to.
          Than you. Your absolutely right. Ill swap another dizzy in first and check for spark at the coil as well. Yeah did the fallow back down the line but nothing was working from spark plug, to cap to coil. I also did put a knew cap and rotor on.
          Thanks again. Out door right now to get parts. Ill check back.

Comment

Ok. Its was either the ignition module or the main relay.
            I just replaced both at the same time because they were so cheap at pick & pull, and I needed it ready for work tomorrow. Thankfully one was the problem.
            Thanks again.

Comment

Pop the cover off the relay and look closely for cracks in the solder joints. If you have a small soldering iron, remelt the solder and keep it for a spare.

I just had the relay in my 90 go bad, but I couldn't get it out of the car easily, so I left it there and simply mounted the new one much lower in a more accessible location.
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

i vote towards ignition unit (module)

below is what i changed out due to similar symptoms. my ride would die midway to work. after swapping out main relay, plugs, wires and distributor, i finally diagnosed it to my ignition unit. autozone tested it and it failed. swapped it out and it works. #7 is what i changed. on hondaautomativeparts.com, its called ignition unit. autozone calls it ignition module. so below is the picture so you can reference it and call it whatever you want. lol. good luck.

Ignitor Unit by CA 93accord, on Flickr
                Last edited by ca93accord; 11-28-2016, 08:15 AM.

Comment

The main relay controls the fuel pump, so if you were getting fuel, it is likely not the main relay.

Glad you got it sorted though!
                  Originally posted by Junior Smurff
                  Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

Working...
                  X