Steering heavier than normal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering heavier than normal

So I've noticed my cb7's steering wheel is a little harder to turn than other cars, I always thought it was normal until I drove my donor cb7 for a bit and noticed how light the steering is on that.

One time my cb7 was in the shop up on a lift because I was diagnosing it for an annoying squeak during turns, and I grabbed the tire, and pushed it left and right lock to lock a bit quickly, and when I drove it the next time it felt like the steering lightened up significantly, although still not as light as it is on my other CB7. The P/S fluid looks clean and brand new, there are no leaks, no funny noises, no grinding feeling. The steering feels smooth, it just takes more effort to turn the wheel, its not like cripplingly bad, but it makes steering with one hand a bit of a hassle while still not impossible. Is there anything I need to lubricate? Any sensor I need to clean?

Betty and Betzi died for our sins

Is it harder to turn while in motion vs. at rest, or about the same regardless?
    Harder when cold or no difference when warmed up?
    Hows the belt? Could be loose or worn (I'm thinking of quick and easy fixes).

You could just have a iffy power steering pump that's not putting enough pressure into the system to help assist with the steering.

Mine was difficult to turn when I first bought it. Also had a horrible 'clunk' 'clunk' 'clunk' when I would turn from lock to lock. I drained and refilled it four times and that resolved my issue.
    Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
      Is it harder to turn while in motion vs. at rest, or about the same regardless?
      Harder when cold or no difference when warmed up?
      Hows the belt? Could be loose or worn (I'm thinking of quick and easy fixes).

You could just have a iffy power steering pump that's not putting enough pressure into the system to help assist with the steering.

Mine was difficult to turn when I first bought it. Also had a horrible 'clunk' 'clunk' 'clunk' when I would turn from lock to lock. I drained and refilled it four times and that resolved my issue.
      Its the same cold or hot, belt is tight and in good shape, there are no funny noises at all, its pretty much the same whether in motion or at rest

Comment

check the pressure in your tires

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
          check the pressure in your tires
          32 psi each tire

Comment

Do a PS system flush. Unlike a radiator flush, there really isn't anything that can go wrong other than getting nice clean fluid.
            Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

I'll jump in here because I'm having a similar issue with my 92 EX coupe auto. Went to move it out of the driveway today (about 15 deg F outside) and I had no assist - almost seemed like it was fighting me. Left it on the street, came back a few hours later, same thing. Wrestled it into the driveway and let it run for a few minutes; then the steering acted normal. Can the steering fluid accumulate water? I guess a fluid change is in order.

Jan. 5, 2018: I've got a rebuilt pump ready to go, may just go ahead and install it along with changing the fluid. Supposed to get above freezing by Sunday!
              Last edited by Fleetw00d; 01-05-2018, 07:23 PM.
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
              X