Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

A/C Quit Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C Quit Working

1992 Acccord Wagon - Overall pretty good shape with 140k miles.

Murphy's law.....last week it started getting hot in here in Vegas....I was driving on the freeway and the A/C was working. (prolly could use to get recharged though...it was cool but not cold). I turned the A/C off cuz was getting in some bumper to bumper. Took care of some business and got back on the freeway. Turned on the A/C and now all it blows is hot air.

I checked the relays....but, what else can I check....I have to drive to SoCal this coming up weekend but do not have the cash for anything really expensive.

Thanks in advance.

I think check if the compressor is working first, or you may have some leaks. i dont think the freon just dissapears just like that
    Auto Upholstery and Carpet Cleaning and Detail Tampa

Comment

Gut It!!

1990 Accord LX Sedan~Sold
      1993 Accord EX Sedan~Sold
      1995 Suzuki GSX-R 750~Totaled

Comment

if the pressure is low, it won't activate the pressure switch allowing the compressor to kick on. The pressure switch will be on one of the lines, with two wires coming out of it. If you start your car and turn on the a/c button, listen for the compressor to kick on. If it doesn't, jump the two wires and see if it kicks on. If it does, then you're pressure is low. Next step, I would remove one of the caps from the lines and use a pen to depress the needle quickly. See if any freeon is released. That way you know it's at least still holding a slight charge. If it is, just go get it recharged. If there's nothing in there, you'll have to have it inspected for leaks.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

if it is low make shure you take it to a repitable shop, because they will perform an evac and recahrge the sytem with a dye in it so if it does stop working in a couple days, weaks, whatever they can inspect the system for leaks and advise where needed.

Comment

Originally posted by wherm View Post
            if the pressure is low, it won't activate the pressure switch allowing the compressor to kick on. The pressure switch will be on one of the lines, with two wires coming out of it. If you start your car and turn on the a/c button, listen for the compressor to kick on. If it doesn't, jump the two wires and see if it kicks on. If it does, then you're pressure is low. Next step, I would remove one of the caps from the lines and use a pen to depress the needle quickly. See if any freeon is released. That way you know it's at least still holding a slight charge. If it is, just go get it recharged. If there's nothing in there, you'll have to have it inspected for leaks.
            Thanks....I think this is my case.....I hear a click but then nothing. I know the dealer is more expensive but here in Vegas all the non-dealer shops are gambling addicts and they rip you off. I will post my results.

Comment

Originally posted by StinkinLincoln View Post
              Gut It!!
              How dare you talk to my bitch that way.

Comment

just came from the dealer...I believe they have integrity...but.....

They said my compressor was blown...$2400 to fix my AC. Is PEP Boys a reasonable option and what is the typical charge?

Also, he was more concerned about a crack in my radiator....Said that would be $750 to fix. OUCH. Is that something I could do? I know the whole radiator flush could get messy....or, is PEP Boys another options and what is a typical repair for that?

Comment

Originally posted by vegasphotog View Post

They said my compressor was blown...$2400 to fix my AC. Is PEP Boys a reasonable option and what is the typical charge?

Also, he was more concerned about a crack in my radiator....Said that would be $750 to fix. OUCH. Is that something I could do? I know the whole radiator flush could get messy....or, is PEP Boys another options and what is a typical repair for that?
                  diy its not hard at all!

Comment

my a/c has gas and it still doesn't cool.. and my compressor is new any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by rum_n_coke View Post
                      diy its not hard at all!
                      I assume you mean the radiator? Do I just go online buy a radiator, get some sort of drain pan, unbolt and rebolt and fill with fluid?

Comment

Originally posted by vegasphotog View Post

First of all, 2400 is a total rip off!!! If your compressor is blown, ask them how they know. If they give you a good reason, buy a new/remanned one online. That should run you about $200. Put it on yourself if you think you're up to it. Do the radiator at the same time. Remove your front bumper following the DIY instructions on this site, remove the clunky plastic bumper reinforcement, and remove the bolt on section of the upper tie bar where the hood latch bolts on. Carefully disconnect your a/c condensor and remove it. Drain your radiator, disconnect the hoses, unplug the fans, and pull the radiator assembly out. Now the A/C compressor should be right in front of your face. Remove it, install the new one, hook all the lines back up, install your new radiator, re-install your a/c condensor, and put the front end back together. Then take it to a shop to have the a/c recharged. Don't forget to bleed and top off the coolant.

Comment

Oh, you may not need to tear down the entire front end to do this, but it would be much easier. When I removed my a/c, it was already torn down for other work I was doing at the time. I remember thinking how much easier it was to get to the compressor with everything in front out of the way...

Comment

OH, OK...thanks....I just got it.... "DIY" = do it yourself awesome...I will check out the links. It sounds like the AC unit is over me head though....so, it also sounds like if I am gonna pay someone (not the dealer) why pay for the labor twice. I will check out the DIY on the radiator to see if I have to pull off the front bumper. That sounds scarey to me.

Comment

ok...I looked around...I did not see a DIY on replacing the radiator....is there one? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                              X