4x114.3, ROH, NSX Brake Calipes, with 300mm (12"), 28mm rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4x114.3, ROH, NSX Brake Calipes, with 300mm (12"), 28mm rotors

Ok let me start off by stating that the NSX caliper upgrade for our CB7's is not new by any means. My reasons for going the NSX route and not the Acura TL Type S is that I prefer to run 16" diameter wheels and remain 4 lug. The limiting factor for the NSX caliper upgrade has always been finding the correct rotor/caliper bracket to optimize this conversion. The following write up clearly lists in detail what the differences between the different setups. However with this setup not only are the brake rotors at optimal thickness for the conversion, the rotor size is bigger allowing for better heat dissipation for better performance braking.

ROH, NSX calipers, 4x114...what rotor do you use, look here

* These parts will work on the CD platform as well
    ** Also will work if you have already done a 5 lug conversion, However, you will need to have a machine shop open up the center bore from 64.1mm to 70mm ( as opposed to having them drill out a 4x114.3 lug pattern )

Here is a list of the parts I am using for my particular brake upgrade.

- 98 2.3 Acura CL hubs (4x114.3, 64mm center hub)
    - 90-93 Honda Accord front wheel bearings (I believe that the cl hub bearing are identical to the cb7 but I changed them anyways)
    - 04-07 Acura TSX front brake rotors (300mm, 5x114.3 ~ re-drilled to 4x114.3, 64mm center hub bore)
    - 04-07 TSX Brake caliper bracket
    - NSX oem brake calipers
    - OEM spec NSX brake pads

1)I picked up my hubs from the local junk yard.

2)NSX calipers ( after they were powder coated and re-assembled)

3)I removed the hubs to replace the bearings, even though I am positive that the CL bearing would of bolted right up to the CB spindle. (better safe than sorry)

4) have the CL hubs pressed onto the CB bearings.

5) I picked up some drilled and slotted powerstop rotors for the TSX. You can view the specs here

6) The caliper bracket of choice is comes from 04-05 TSX. The 28T NSX caliper bracket is designed to work with a 282mm diameter rotor and the 300mm rotor would have been big. With the rotor and caliper bracket mounted up, we checked the clearances.

7) The next step was to thow the pads on and slide the caliper over them and bolt them up.

8) and for the moment of truth. Everything tucked nicely behind a set of 16 inch Sprint Hart CP-R's. with just the right amount of clearance.

Last edited by SanJoCaF22DrAcc; 05-03-2018, 10:18 PM. Reason: Info update

Purchased From: busak87, GunRunner, Bruce Banner, Itstatcb7kid707, tJoods, DannyD

The Caravan 2015
    MRT:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=180919

Great work Carlos!! You and Alan knocked it out of the park on this one!

However, you were correct to install your CB Accord bearings to you CL Hub. Because CL bearings DO NOT drop right into CB and CD Accord knuckles. I found this out the hard way.

Nice job guys!!

^^^ Please "Like" & Follow!^^^

IG - @WerdWerx

1990 Accord EX Coupe - Click Here

Comment

How hard was it to source al of the parts (especially the NSX calipers)? I'm interested in this conversion for several reasons:

1. Keeps the standard 4X114.3 lug pattern

2. Works with 16" wheels which is the largest I'd personally want on my car

3. The NSX has a much greater choice of performance pads than any of the other caliper swaps I've seen.

4. This system is going to be much more capable of track use than stock without adding a ton of unsprung weight in the form of massive 4 piston calipers

Comment

Oh boy...tell me you're going to do something to those calipers to make them pop. Great work man, this is a really cool mod!
        My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
        Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
        Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Originally posted by Bunta View Post
          How hard was it to source al of the parts (especially the NSX calipers)? I'm interested in this conversion for several reasons:

1. Keeps the standard 4X114.3 lug pattern

2. Works with 16" wheels which is the largest I'd personally want on my car

3. The NSX has a much greater choice of performance pads than any of the other caliper swaps I've seen.

4. This system is going to be much more capable of track use than stock without adding a ton of unsprung weight in the form of massive 4 piston calipers
          I was on the search to optimize the calipers and came across better spec’d rotors than I had anticipated. 95 Legend Coupe rotors would have worked too (and we’re my first choice) but with 28T brackets. DBA makes the correct rotor to use with the 28T brack too and already drilled with a 4x114.3 lug pattern. Only they are crazy expensive due to the fact that they need o be imported from Australia because they aren’t available in the USDM market.

Sourcing the Calipers inexpensively is most likely going to be coincidence. They are available on eBay, and pop up FS on the Honda pages on FB from time to time. I bought mine from a friend in SoCal a while back. I chose specifically because I also prefer using 16” wheels.

I paired my setup with Porterfield Brake Pads and PowerStop drilled and slotted rotors. I currently have Porterfield brakes on my OEM spec brake setup with no complaints. They have plenty of stopping power. However, my Rotors are shot, and I’ve had these calipers for quite some time. I figured I’d take avantage and do a ROH conversion in the process

Originally posted by wtfisafleek View Post
          Oh boy...tell me you're going to do something to those calipers to make them pop. Great work man, this is a really cool mod!
          Yeah. These images are of just the mock up. But now that I have verified everything is going to work, I can go ahead and pretty everything up. Calipers are going to be some very nice red tone with the NSX in either frost white or just brushed metal.

Purchased From: busak87, GunRunner, Bruce Banner, Itstatcb7kid707, tJoods, DannyD

The Caravan 2015

Comment

images have been updated

The Caravan 2015

Comment

Can anyone else see the images without the Photobucket logo? That crap is annoying.
              My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
              Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
              Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Originally posted by wtfisafleek View Post
                Can anyone else see the images without the Photobucket logo? That crap is annoying.
                still fuzzy. & agreed, this DIY is a nice one!

Comment

This conversion is pretty simple and straight forward. I’m current customizing some TSX hubs with CB bearings to make a 5 lug conversion. This way I can swap between 4 & 5 lug wheels without having to have the car aligned. Basically taking TSX hubs and mulling them down to press into CB7 front whee bearings.

The Caravan 2015

Comment

Thanks for the DIY write up. I was actually in the middle of doing a legend dual piston caliper swap but then decided to go with NSX calipers instead. I just came across this thread and am really happy I did! I definitely like this one and can’t wait until my NSX calipers arrive!

Comment

Working...
                    X